11 replies to this topic

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:2000

So my donor is a 2000 CA emissions miata which by the way is “evolution orange” which may win the ugliest stock color ever!  Anyways, from my forum/google/GCR searches many in SM can and do replace the CA emissions manifold with a regular federal manifold, then relocate the primary o2 sensor.  Some may also replace the ECU and wiring harness but its isn’t absolutely necessary.   So my question is why replace with a federal manifold?  Is it a performance improvement?  Would I be loosing HP if I didnt replace it.  I’m assuming this is the case but I just wanted to confirm since I couldn’t find the “why”.  Also, would there be anything else different about a CA emission car that I should consider changing?  Thanks for any replies.  

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

So my donor is a 2000 CA emissions miata which by the way is “evolution orange” which may win the ugliest stock color ever!  Anyways, from my forum/google/GCR searches many in SM can and do replace the CA emissions manifold with a regular federal manifold, then relocate the primary o2 sensor.  Some may also replace the ECU and wiring harness but its isn’t absolutely necessary.   So my question is why replace with a federal manifold?  Is it a performance improvement?  Would I be loosing HP if I didnt replace it.  I’m assuming this is the case but I just wanted to confirm since I couldn’t find the “why”.  Also, would there be anything else different about a CA emission car that I should consider changing?  Thanks for any replies.  

First of all, that is a hot shit color!  It's been nicknamed but I won't spoil it for you :)

The CA manifold has an extra cat built in and you don't want that.  IIRC the 49 state ECU made a bit more power on a dyno.  Others will have more to say on the rest. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

As Tom said you have what is called a precat as part of the exhaust manifold. It is a 2 piece cast iron unit...lower half being the precat. You can gut the precat and run it this way. Or buy the 1 piece federal exhaust manifold. Both CA and Fed manifolds end at the same place for the downpipe so no need to change that. No harness change necessary but you can just plug and play a Federal ecu if you desire. I dont think it will change anything power wise!

I dont think I've ever seen that color in the wild! The picture on Miata.net says evolution gold...even though you click on evolution orange ;)  Similar to the GM color I always really liked on the Corvette!  I'll trade you the ever so popular green car :)

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

First of all, that is a hot shit color!  It's been nicknamed but I won't spoil it for you :)

Do I know someone who had one this color?

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
2000SM3.jpg

• CARLOS TEIXEIRA likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Sadly this one was never finished.

https://photos.app.g...uuQcBJcXANrnis9
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Well... maybe I won’t paint it after all, the orange turd is growing on me.   :P

Thanks for the input guys, also to Rick Worth.  Its appreciated.  

• Tom Sager likes this

Rick Worth

Rick Worth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Region:Mid-South
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:24

Ron, are you sure about the downpipe? When I built my car, it was a CA car. When I switched the manifold, I also had to get the downpipe. Thinking back I think the length was different. Not sure. It may have been the fed pipe had the 02 bung in it where the CA pipe was different because it had the sensor in the first cat. Been a while. 

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

CARLOS TEIXEIRA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Sadly this one was never finished.

https://photos.app.g...uuQcBJcXANrnis9

Steve, what happened to it?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Steve will I'm sure show other personal pictures. Here's the basics of the destroyed car and race vehicles.

https://www.motoriou...cked-with-cars/

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

nballard76

nballard76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Region:Nor-Cal
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73

Steve will I'm sure show other personal pictures. Here's the basics of the destroyed car and race vehicles.

https://www.motoriou...cked-with-cars/

A reminder of a tragic day indeed... :rant:

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Ron, are you sure about the downpipe? When I built my car, it was a CA car. When I switched the manifold, I also had to get the downpipe. Thinking back I think the length was different. Not sure. It may have been the fed pipe had the 02 bung in it where the CA pipe was different because it had the sensor in the first cat. Been a while. 

Funny...I usually remember when things are different! I know I've had a bunch of downpipes laying on the pile...one was marked federal...and it looked the same as the others? I have bought 3 or 4 federal headers over the years and I dont remember needing a different downpipe(most of my donors have been CA cars)? Bottom line...I could very well be wrong :) I do believe they both have just one bung for O2.

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users