2 replies to this topic

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta
  • Car Year:1999

I use a Mobius camera (original variant - https://www.mobius-actioncam.com/) mounted on my rollbar and while it has great picture quality, is inexpensive, easy to integrate with my data system (automagically turns on on poweron, so automatically in sync with my traqmate data), the audio is terrible -- looking at the WAV data, I can see the samples are severely clipped - I guess our chick car engines are just too loud?   I can't find any software settings to control this (the only audio-related setting is On/Off - nothing to control input gain).   

A bit of googling revealed a youtube post claiming to reduce wind noise by opening up the camera and fitting some foam ear pads around the mic -- maybe something like that could attenuate the signal enough to help?

I know others are using Mobius -- do you have any tricks/tips for getting better audio?

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39

All the front facing video on my channel is shot with the Mobius, and yes the audio is clipped (except at race start and under FCY).

Despite being clipped the end result is still listenable. I did play around with foam protectors around the mic openings but gave up on that as the change in audio was undetectable. I also played with capturing the audio with my rear facing GoPros, but when the GoPro is mounted on the rear windshield as in the video below, the wind noise destroys the audio. Personally I like the view from this angle.

I also captured audio from the GoPro when it was mounted at the rear number plate, completely shielded from the wind, and that captured really great audio, but IMO the view was interesting but didnt show the race evolving behind the chasing car which would completely fill the screen 

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

tynor

tynor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Region:Atlanta

Thanks Danny - I figured if anyone had gone to the trouble of trying to work around the Mobius audio, it would be you!  I think you just saved me the trouble of experimenting with foam on the mic. 

• Danny Steyn likes this

Steve Tynor

'99 SM

Atlanta, GA

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users