20 replies to this topic

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Hi, 

Been awhile since I posted here, but I'm building my next SM and am looking for an SM legal hard top. 

Mazda is back ordered well into 2022, the price is $4k.  

Used hard tops are rare to find now and easily fetch $3k. 

Anybody know of an aftermarket hard top that is legal and will accept the OEM rear glass?  

Hardtop (OEM Replica) For Miata NA/NB – The Ultimate Resource for Mazda Miata Parts (carbonmiata.com)

^^^ this one right here doesn't seem like the OEM rear glass will be secured with just adhesive.  Do i have to drill reinforcements into my nice new hard top?

I've been debating writing a letter about this rule with my local NASA SM class rep and NASA national director.  Due to supply chain issues and the increase of hard top prices on the used market, I am proposing to write a letter to petition a rule change to allow aftermarket hard tops to be used with plexiglass windows. 

Will the rear glass window just shatter if used in a hard top without the OEM sheet metal structure in the hard top?  what is everybody doing to get legal hard tops? 

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
For SCCA, no. Not sure what NASA may allow these days but it shouldn’t take as long to look as it did to ask.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:38

The problem will be the less weight up high of the aftermarket tops. 

Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Hi, 

Been awhile since I posted here, but I'm building my next SM and am looking for an SM legal hard top. 

Mazda is back ordered well into 2022, the price is $4k.  

Used hard tops are rare to find now and easily fetch $3k. 

Anybody know of an aftermarket hard top that is legal and will accept the OEM rear glass?  

Hardtop (OEM Replica) For Miata NA/NB – The Ultimate Resource for Mazda Miata Parts (carbonmiata.com)

^^^ this one right here doesn't seem like the OEM rear glass will be secured with just adhesive.  Do i have to drill reinforcements into my nice new hard top?

I've been debating writing a letter about this rule with my local NASA SM class rep and NASA national director.  Due to supply chain issues and the increase of hard top prices on the used market, I am proposing to write a letter to petition a rule change to allow aftermarket hard tops to be used with plexiglass windows. 

Will the rear glass window just shatter if used in a hard top without the OEM sheet metal structure in the hard top?  what is everybody doing to get legal hard tops? 

lets not exaggerate the problem..  You can certainly find tops well under $3000

If they went with the lighter top the car would need to weigh more IMO

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
I'll sell you a top for $2500
  • Jim Drago likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I'll sell you a top for $2500

I'll sell one for 2400 :) 

• lillyweld likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
See, no need for aftermarket tops that weigh less, cost less than $500, are legal in spec mx5.

Making things expensive with an easy low cost solution in front of our face, sold by our manufacturing partner is what the class is all about yes?
  • luvin_the_rings likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

^^ LOL Jamz, Seems like it sometimes.  I'm glad we share the frustration. 

Thanks for getting back to me, guys. 

SCCA specifically dis-allows Plexiglas in SM.  NASA does not say you can use plexi, so we can't...

Jim, or anybody else, if you see a hard top for sale for less than $3k, please let me know.  I have been shopping for one for months and have not found anything below that. 

Jim, or Jamz, would you take $2k plus freight?

Mazda is back ordered until mid 2022 at least, according to them.  

Mazda Miata OEM Style Fiberglass Hard Top 1990-2005 - Sale! (gomiata.com)

^^^ this one, along with all other aftermarket tops i can see, come with "molded" plastic rear window, others use plexi that needs reinforcement straps down the middle of the windshield.  

per the NASA rules, it just has to be equivalent in design and weight.  But windshield reinforcements are allowed.  To me, the strict interpretation of this is using OEM glass.  But more relaxed interpretation would allow a molded window to be used if the edges are reinforced by metal straps.  But only if the top weighed ~45 lbs, same as OEM.

in SCCA only the Mazda OEM hard top is allowed...  So how are people building SM's now if Mazda backordered until next year?  Does anybody else see this as a major bottleneck to get into this class? 

I realize this forum is mostly SCCA racers, and I've read the threads about lightweight hardtop discussions, so I respect your guys' decisions on that front.  But one must wonder if the rules must be re-considered with the latest markup and backorder of the OEM top.  

Can we discuss the option of bolting a "hard top ballast" to the main hoop to offset the CG concern?   Most lightweight tops are between 20 and 30 lbs fully assembled, OEM top weighs about 45lbs, so bolting a 15lb piece of steel to the main hoop with some u bolts seems like a reasonable compromise.  

• Tom Sager likes this

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Will you pay for the wind tunnel testing? :)
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
$2400 and Ventura pickup. You will pay at least $200 in freight for Jim's. I wont take 2k plus freight. Honestly I dont even want to let it go at $2400 or any price really because of the total pain in the ass and cost of getting a legal top right now. Really just want to keep it for next car build. But will sell it at price noted above.

Alex, running anything but the factory top isnt going to go anywhere. There is only ever going to be ONE guy that gives a shit about this. That is the guy that is currently looking for a top. After you get a top, you will stop caring enough that you will no longer wish to bang your head against the wall. If you dont need one, why do you care if a top cost as much as a donor? In NASA right now it is technically illegal to run without a top. Now that is only true because Xavier hasn't gotten around to changing the rule back since he changed it in less than a day, 8 months or so ago. How's your case going with Xav? Getting much sympathy on costs for hard tops or willingness to approve low cost aftermarkets? Willingness to approve parity adjustments for those that might want to forego an expensive top all together?

It doesnt fly to just say I'll strap a 15lb bar to the rollcage. Right now you can buy super tech valves (caveats to that statement in that super tech has pretty much stopped supporting the bp4w engine) for a 3rd of the price of the oem valves that are on back order. No real significant difference in performance but it doesnt matter. Doesnt matter that you cant buy new cams or cranks. YOU NOR ANYONE ELSE IS GOING TO GET A RULE CHANGE FOR THESE ITEMS AND OTHERS. Let it go and either run without a top or pay the market rate for a diminishing commodity.

I'm going to open this conversation up more broadly under another thread in a day or so about why SM has seen it's best days as far as car counts go. SM might still have the title SM but it isnt the growing SM class anymore. If you want to run a cheap top and drive SM, buy Dragos or someone else's Spec Mx5.

Good luck. Let me know if you want the top. Probably will retract the sale of it in a day or so.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Will you pay for the wind tunnel testing? :)

That's funny.  Seriously I was thinking that somebody would post this.  Low hanging fruit I suppose. 

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

TylerQuance

TylerQuance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:2002
  • Car Number:92

SM might still have the title SM but it isnt the growing SM class anymore.

https://www.motorspo...495853169826B59
  • Ernie Cole likes this

Tyler Quance 

Race Bushing Factory

Home of the turn-key SM Offset Bushing Control Arms

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Tyler,

I'll make my case in the other thread, but a one off race doesnt make the case.

When someone has a terminal illness they may be able to jog and ride a bike but the trigger has been pulled. The bullet just hasn't hit yet. It is inevitable.

Jamz14

Jamz14

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
Wind tunnel testing for SM. Ridiculous. You might have been joking but I have seriously heard shit like that.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Wind tunnel testing for SM. Ridiculous. You might have been joking but I have seriously heard shit like that.

I was half joking. SM wind tunnel testing was claimed to have been done before the Daytona Runoffs. If a non-OEM roof is allowed which is visually different than the original there will be questions about aerodynamics. So the wind tunnel remark was in jest but people running the big tracks would be justifiably concerned.

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
Jamz, still want the top. I sent you another PM.

tylerbrown

tylerbrown

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:07

You need to join the Miata Buy Sell Trade pages on Facebook. I have seen countless hardtops pass through there ranging from 1500-2500, most coming in under 2k. I dont think I have ever seen one at 3k...

• infamousjim likes this

Tyler Brown

Sneaky Moose Motorsports - Owner

2023 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2023 June Sprints - 1st Place

2022 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2020 Majors Northern Conference Champion - SM

2019 June Sprints - 1st Place

Design Engineer - Milwaukee Electric Tool

Facebook: https://www.facebook...oseMotorsports/

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube....le_polymer=true

Dennis_

Dennis_

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Car Number:87

They are out there..

https://www.trackjun...a-hard-top-500/

500$ in PA

callumhay

callumhay

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Region:fl
  • Car Number:35
Hard top is optional iirc from GCR. Ban the hardtops and all SM racers become 2-3 k richer so that can fund the tire budget?
  • infamousjim likes this

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Hard top is optional iirc from GCR. Ban the hardtops and all SM racers become 2-3 k richer so that can fund the tire budget?

Well that would flood the market with them and they'd be $300 pretty quick.  That and us open trailer guys would have to get flood insurance. 

• mellen likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hardtop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users