infamousjim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:313

Realized I never posted this here: 

Wrote up a guide for running Spec Miata. There's lots of great information around this forum from the accomplished experts. This guide is a bit different: Coming from the perspective of a hard headed ultra low budget racer. Main purpose is to make people realize they can put on a regional SM effort without spending HST money that the class is infamous for. 

https://nomoneymotor...-budget-racers/

• gerglmuff2 likes this

Jim 

No Money Motorsports Blog - Racing On A Budget

NASA Northeast

SM #313

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

Thanks Jim - it looks pretty in-depth and I will be giving it a thorough read and respond from another budge racer.  I am always looking to do more with less.

'Budget' and 'Fast' don't normally go together unless the word immediately before budget is 'unlimited'. :no:

• infamousjim likes this

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

as much as we should celebrate that we have pro level racing at the top of spec miata, we also need to remove barriers and impression of barriers to new racers. the impression spec miata has in the greater world is that its wildly expensive, that there are 100k spec miatas and the only way to have any fun in this class is to have one. 

• Steve Scheifler likes this

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

infamousjim

infamousjim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Thanks Jim - it looks pretty in-depth and I will be giving it a thorough read and respond from another budge racer. I am always looking to do more with less.

'Budget' and 'Fast' don't normally go together unless the word immediately before budget is 'unlimited'. :no:

Awesome, same here so happy to hear feedback if you think I'm missing anything!

as much as we should celebrate that we have pro level racing at the top of spec miata, we also need to remove barriers and impression of barriers to new racers. the impression spec miata has in the greater world is that its wildly expensive, that there are 100k spec miatas and the only way to have any fun in this class is to have one.

100% and that's a major reason why I started the site. I can almost guarantee we're having more fun than the ultra serious racers too.

Jim 

NASA Northeast

SM #313

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Jim - Lot's of GREAT info there, I read more than a few of the categories and will say you are quite thorough.  I like the options from really budget to kind of budget.  One thing I might add is give a 3rd option, say somewhere solid on the value chart, and let them know what they are gaining.  Example: I was wearing a $450 suit and likened it to wearing 'Grandma's old wool rug'.  I waited until the last minute to put it on and the first thing I did was take it off after the race, it made racing not that much fun, I was miserable when I wore it.  Then I purchased a $850 suit, WOW, is all I can say, WHAT A DIFFERENCE- lightweight and cool (it breathes), now I can walk around in the pits and not hate life (SW Florida).  Helmets, more $= lighter.

Do you have a catagory on what NOT to go budget on?

Just a few ideas from what I read, for instance the spares list; I am fortunate enough to carry a complete set of upper and lower control arms, and hubs (front and rear).  Bolts are in the control arms so basically they are ready to bolt on.  Not terribly expensive, but could save your weekend.  Really, really budget option? Buy/carry nothing but a fair amount of money ask one of the big teams if they have a spare to sell.  I don't recall, but I also carry a spare crank sensor, alternator, and I think you nailed the rest of it.

Tools? I do over kill, but I only fix the car at home with the tools I carry.

Do you have a lessons learned category? - share what you would do over. Me? Better suit once I realized I was in racing for life, good helmet; light and comfortable. Tires, pony up and buy new, I realized my tires were stopping me from learning to drive as I was simply driving not slide and spin.

Tires: Hoosiers will definitely time out, I spoke w/ a Hoosier rep and he said "Tires start aging as soon as they are built", I had a set bubble and separate, I would go no more than 3 years max on Hoosiers, likely the same for Toyo's.  In spite of what I was told, Toyo's do not carry the same performance for 20+ heat cycles (in my opinion) maybe 3/4 race weekends max.

I see you have a spot for DIY alignment - set up is always the hard part.  Not only doing it but picking your settings, maybe you could give them a good baseline set up and elementary trouble shooting i.e. Rear end loose, lower it 2 turns (or raise the front ), something like that.

I was very surprised on how complete the sections and the information is; your writing style is easy to read, grammatically correct, and void of too much prose that authors include when they don't have much to say. All in all I thought it was great and myself would have read and re-read it many time when starting up.

• infamousjim likes this

infamousjim

infamousjim

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Thanks, I really appreciate the comments and I see you get exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. That means a lot! 

The idea to "Bring some cash" for spares does have merit, but then I fear I'd have everyone trying to raid my secret spares pile, lol. It is a very good idea though, I'll add in something to that effect. 

I've been building an outline for a "Low Budget Fails" post for a while. I have definitely built up a few fails, but honestly a lot less than I thought I'd have at this point, especially considering the dire warnings I got from some in the beginning.

3 years max sucks. I know most tracks you won't be too competitive outside of 3 years, but I've run 4-5 year old Toyos plenty for scrubs, and even races on tracks like the Glen that don't seem to need the freshest of rubber. After 5 they usually go to my kart track... or the Honda Challenge folk. 

Jim 

NASA Northeast

SM #313

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Something else I was thinking Jim, you could always post on here asking for peoples top 3 budget tips, you might get a few new ideas. 

I know there's more than a few on here that really DIY, half of the 'fun' to me is keeping my car on the track.  I think Alberto is very similar to me.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

Awesome, same here so happy to hear feedback if you think I'm missing anything!

100% and that's a major reason why I started the site. I can almost guarantee we're having more fun than the ultra serious racers too.

i dont know about that, i dont want to yuck anyone's yum. im sure running at the front of a super tour is amazing too. at my budget and machinery success for me at indy was not being in the LCQ: which i did do!

i do think cost perception is what keeps many folks doing other motorsports over spec miata, when in fact, they spend a lot more money than we do (at least at the divisionalish level). there are many time attackers, and even national level autocrossers who spend gobs more money than most of us. and its because they think they are doing the cheaper motorsport. they arnt. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users