5 replies to this topic

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

I have very limited workspace in my garage (1 bay in a two car garage).  I don't have enough ceiling height for a lift.  And have very limited space between the car and the wall.  So, was considering getting a quickjack to use in the garage (even though they say you should have 6ft on both sides).  I looked at the MaxJax but I live in a townhouse and have no idea where the pipes are under the garage floor.  Don't want to hit those.  So, not enthusiastic about this solution but will look at it if you guys think it is worth the extra weight/hassle, etc. of the MaxJax.

Second issue is clearing the bottom of the car.  It looks like the Maxjax has a minimum height of 4.5 inches, while the quickjack is 3.75-4.75 depending on which lifting block you use.

I figure someone else has gone through this decision before and am interested in whatever you've learned.

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Region:SW Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:23

Maxjax by far (I had both).  Higher lift, in fact you can put a Miata under one if you do it right (use blocks under the frame rails to gain additional lift).  The QJ - unless it has changed, is almost too long for the Miata wheelbase.

Possible but doubtful you have lines running under you garage slab.

• Sphinx likes this

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

Maxjax by far (I had both).  Higher lift, in fact you can put a Miata under one if you do it right (use blocks under the frame rails to gain additional lift).  The QJ - unless it has changed, is almost too long for the Miata wheelbase.

Possible but doubtful you have lines running under you garage slab.

Wait, what?! Being able to double stack cars might be a game changer.  How hard was it to install the concrete anchors?  I'll admit that this aspect intimidates me.

The quickjack looks like it will be a snug fit to slide it under the car - but I did see someone using one with a miata at the track recently.

Ernie Cole

Ernie Cole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:32

I've never used the Maxjax, but I love the QuickJacks I got recently. The smallest size (3500 SLX) fit great under a miata and lift up to 21". They are portable, I take mine to the track with me. Makes swapping wheels, doing brakes, adjusting suspension, or any minor repairs pretty convenient. 

I would say the benefits of the QJ is no installation, can be taken to the track, or even out in the driveway when its nice outside or you are cleaning the car or something like that, and they are much cheaper. 

Cons is that you don't get as much height as MJ, and the sides of the car are blocked so you have to enter from the ends of the car if you need to get something in the middle. 

What kind of work do you plan on ding in your garage? 

Also- I don't understand the 6' clearance QJ recommends. I don't really follow that suggestion. 

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Wait, what?! Being able to double stack cars might be a game changer.  How hard was it to install the concrete anchors?  I'll admit that this aspect intimidates me.

The quickjack looks like it will be a snug fit to slide it under the car - but I did see someone using one with a miata at the track recently.

Sorry I have not been here in a few weeks.  To double-stack, simply lift the upper Miata a bit, set it on jackstands (or something), lower the Maxjax, now add some spacers under the support pads to the Maxjax lift points and you can gain as much additional height as needed (within reason).  It was a pretty tight fit as I recall, but it did work.  If I recall the bottom car was my street Miata and it fit w/ the top down. But I don't recall any reason I could not have gotten it up another inch or so to clear a hard top.  Installation is fairly easy (you need a hammer drill), anchor bolts are included, look them up online for concrete specs.  Pro Tip:  Drill all the way through your floor in case you would need to hammer the anchor all the way through to install a new one. Also, install the anchors with cement epoxy as sometimes they slip prior to grabbing and won't remain flush or below the level of the floor.  Lastly, clean the concrete dust out of the drilled hole VERY thoroughly (it caused one of my anchors to slip slightly).

• Sphinx likes this

bmarshall1

bmarshall1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Also, I think Costco may still sell Maxjax

• Sphinx likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic