5 replies to this topic

Steve66

Steve66

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:2001
I want to replace a couple of brake lines. I’ve had a hard time finding any OEM lines. Is it ok to replace with homemade lines made of the nickel/copper material or is it required to buy OEM to stay within the Spec Rules.

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:70
From GCR
B. Brake lines may be replaced with steel lines or Teflon lined metal braided hose.

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I think the OP is referring to the chassis mounted brake lines, not the flexible lines at the wheels. My understanding is nickel/copper is superior to stainless steel and it certainly would not improve performance, but it may expose you to a weeny protest.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

NV Racer

NV Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:70
Never had to deal with brake line issues. I guess just another advantage to living out west.

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM

I want to replace a couple of brake lines. I’ve had a hard time finding any OEM lines. Is it ok to replace with homemade lines made of the nickel/copper material or is it required to buy OEM to stay within the Spec Rules.

I need to ask: have you checked with Mazda? I know a couple of years ago (2021?) I ordered from Mazda the long brake pipe that goes to the brass block on the right side of the rear subframe for an NA. The part arrived in a 5ftx3ftx10in box with a gentle bend in the middle to make it fit.

There's a good chance they will have the others for each corner.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve66

Steve66

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:2001
Yes I was referring to the hard lines. To be honest, after finding nothing in the public domain I hadn’t even checked with Mazda. I’ll give them a call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users