• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Tom Maycock

Tom Maycock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:IL
I posted a link on June Sprints registrations (opens at noon today) over in the Racing News section, but neglected to mention that there will be a spec fuel rule in place for the 2011 June Sprints. So, FYI, from the supps:

"17. The following classes will be required to use a spec fuel (93 octane no ethanol): FE, SM, SRF. Fuel must be purchased at Road America from the designated supplier as delivered in the spec fuel truck, located near the gas pumps. Spec fuel availability hours will be posted at registration, the Orion Tech Center, and the gas pumps. Tests to verify compliance may include, but may not be limited to: color, specific gravity, and dielectric constant."

As you debate the pros and cons, please remember not to shoot the messenger!

Thanks,
Tom Maycock
Chicago Region Competition Committee

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I posted a link on June Sprints registrations (opens at noon today) over in the Racing News section, but neglected to mention that there will be a spec fuel rule in place for the 2011 June Sprints. So, FYI, from the supps:

"17. The following classes will be required to use a spec fuel (93 octane no ethanol): FE, SM, SRF. Fuel must be purchased at Road America from the designated supplier as delivered in the spec fuel truck, located near the gas pumps. Spec fuel availability hours will be posted at registration, the Orion Tech Center, and the gas pumps. Tests to verify compliance may include, but may not be limited to: color, specific gravity, and dielectric constant."

As you debate the pros and cons, please remember not to shoot the messenger!

Thanks,
Tom Maycock
Chicago Region Competition Committee

Don't shoot Tom, but you can shoot me if you like! B) I pushed really hard for this... Last year I would guess conservatively that we( SM ) as a group spent well over 5,000 in exotic fuel for qualifying and the race. The fuel did nothing but become a $28.00 a gallon spec fuel at the front of the grid and put the guys already behind even more so.
So while I sympathize for those who will pay a few dollars more per gallon than pump gas, on a whole it is in the best interest of the class
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
This is GREAT. Thanks Tom and Jim

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

Don't shoot Tom, but you can shoot me if you like! B) I pushed really hard for this... Last year I would guess conservatively that we( SM ) as a group spent well over 5,000 in exotic fuel for qualifying and the race. The fuel did nothing but become a $28.00 a gallon spec fuel at the front of the grid and put the guys already behind even more so.
So while I sympathize for those who will pay a few dollars more per gallon than pump gas, on a whole it is in the best interest of the class
Jim

Not sure why anybody would complain as this is a better alternative than what you had last year. You should be rewarded not shot for your efforts!
Thanks,
JT
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Maycock

Tom Maycock

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Region:IL

Not sure why anybody would complain as this is a better alternative than what you had last year. You should be rewarded not shot for your efforts!
Thanks,
JT

It's the SCCA--anything that makes 51% of the people happy will make 49% of the people unhappy!

Seriously, we do try to please as many as possible, but you'll never please 'em all. See corresponding thread in FE section at apexspeed.com for an example!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Thanks,
JT

It is an added expense for many who are running true pump gas. But in what we spend in a weekend racing, the amount is marginal IMO compared to the benefit. But if you figure it is an extra $3.00 a gallon, an average competitor should burn 12/13 gallons over the course of two qualifying sessions and a race. So less than $40.00
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Well, there goes THAT excuse for me being at the back haha. Should be fun, as it will be my first National. At least I won't have to worry about my eyes watering...
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
By the time Sprints come it might be closer to a couple bucks or in some cases a buck a gallon more than pump gas if things keep going the way they are. We're at 4 bucks or so here and in So Cal it's not uncommon to see it near 5 bucks in some places. In ten years, while race gas has gone up, I haven't seen it spike and ebb like street gas.

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

It is an added expense for many who are running true pump gas. But in what we spend in a weekend racing, the amount is marginal IMO compared to the benefit. But if you figure it is an extra $3.00 a gallon, an average competitor should burn 12/13 gallons over the course of two qualifying sessions and a race. So less than $40.00
Jim

This is a good move. This year's big expense will be an extra test day to compare 888's to RA1's.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

This is a good move. This year's big expense will be an extra test day to compare 888's to RA1's.

I'll save you 500 bucks. RA-1s.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I'll save you 500 bucks. RA-1s.

Gentleman's agreement to all Run RA1's? Then no need to test R888's? I'm in if everyone else is.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
I will be on RA1s
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97

Jim

I guess there will always be those that complain but $40 to get a closer field at one of the biggest races in the country sounds like a win win to me. I know at VIR nobody was on fuel and we had one hell of race; the best one I have seen to date.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Protech Racing

Protech Racing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Good job on the fuel. Thanks. Do we have to pump out and than fill, or have a 8 gal min?
What is the procedure? Thanks, MM

http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

mogren@tampabay.rr.com, 352.428/8983

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Good job on the fuel. Thanks. Do we have to pump out and than fill, or have a 8 gal min?
What is the procedure? Thanks, MM

No procedure. If you get tested, just make sure your fuel sample is spec track fuel. If you think you need to flush some through the tank, then do so. Typically a pump out, add a couple of gallons of the spec fuel, and pump out again gets your tank ready. If you typically run pump gas anyway, you can probably add on top. At the Runoffs, the track fuel was just BP 93 if I remember correctly.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA