Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9
Purchased a longacre leak down tester and was trying to use it today, and am not sure I am doing this right. I seem to be getting a lot of air leakage the spark plug hole on the hose. The hose is flexible and I have twisted on it as much as I can but it still seems to leak. Somewhere after 70 psi you can hear a litte "pop" sound and then I can hear air escaping. I was able to get a reading on two of the cylinders (at 100 psi) one read 5% and the other read 20% (this one shows lower compression too). Am I doing something wrong?

Greg
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:3
Buy a compression extension tool. Sears carries them. They are for oHV heads and Hemi heads. Then just attach your flexible hose to the extension and you can tighten the hose so it doesn't leak.
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
who is your engine bulider you air that you might be hearing could be alot of power :lol:
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Buy a compression extension tool. Sears carries them. They are for oHV heads and Hemi heads. Then just attach your flexible hose to the extension and you can tighten the hose so it doesn't leak.

Good idea, I haven't done a leak down on an OHV. I couldn't find one at Sears but I found something on eBay. It replaces the final flex hose completely.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...n-/260749738226

On edit: Here's one on the Sears site. I was looking for Craftsman and sold by Sears though this would do the trick.

http://www.sears.com...5_SPM201564117P

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Do you have an o-ring on the part that screws into the spark plug hole? With an o-ring you shouldn't need to super tight the unit into the threaded hole.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:9
David,

Yes there is an o-ring on the end of the hose, maybe I am over tightening the hose?

Greg
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users