Photo

Front Wheel Bearings

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Looks like a nice piece for an enduro car to add grease during the race? I think I would still have my guys pull mine apart, clean and regrease for sprint races though

Or to rephrase. :bigsquaregrin:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

I did not see the add or know anything about that device but it sounds like a Bearing buddy type device used on boats where you can push grease through the hub. If that is the case, my concern would be too much grease. One mistake that can be made is putting in too much grease, it will cause the bearing to overheat IMO.

• Jim Drago and mellen like this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

One mistake that can be made is putting in too much grease, it will cause the bearing to overheat IMO.

To confirm Frank's IMO.

"Too much grease volume (overgreasing) in a bearing cavity will cause the rotating bearing elements to begin churning the grease, pushing it out of the way, resulting in energy loss and rising temperatures. This leads to rapid oxidation (chemical degradation) of the grease as well as an accelerated rate of oil bleed, which is a separation of the oil from the thickener. The heat that has been generated over time along with the oil bleed eventually will cook the grease thickener into a hard, crusty build-up that can impair proper lubrication and even block new grease from reaching the core of the bearing. This can result in accelerated wear of the rolling elements and then component failure."

• FTodaro likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:50

Would this degradation of the grease also apply to high end synthetics ?

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

http://www.machinery...redict-oil-life

TommyB

TommyB

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:50

So, I guess the lesson here is similar to the approach of voting in Chicago......change your grease "early" and "often".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users