AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:56
Anyone use a 2001 or newer Chevy(or GMC) 2500 with the 6.0L engine?

I'm looking for a truck this summer to tow my 28' trailer. I am really looking for an 8.1L motor but a 454 wouldn't be bad if it had low miles on it. I can't afford to buy a diesel or I would.

Just curious to see if anyone tows a trailer near the size of mine with the 6.0L motor
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Anyone use a 2001 or newer Chevy(or GMC) 2500 with the 6.0L engine?

I'm looking for a truck this summer to tow my 28' trailer. I am really looking for an 8.1L motor but a 454 wouldn't be bad if it had low miles on it. I can't afford to buy a diesel or I would.

Just curious to see if anyone tows a trailer near the size of mine with the 6.0L motor

I have a 2008 6.0 that pulls a 36' trailer with two cars and alot of gear form Dayton to Mid Ohio often! I wouldnt think of driving this rig up or down any mountains but its fine for a 2-4 hour trip on fairly flat roads!

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Spec Miata Archives.

http://forum.specmia...26;t=001076;p=0

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

I have a 2008 6.0 that pulls a 36' trailer with two cars and alot of gear form Dayton to Mid Ohio often! I wouldnt think of driving this rig up or down any mountains but its fine for a 2-4 hour trip on fairly flat roads!

Thanks Kyle, guess I'll be searching more for the 8.1 or a diesel if its the right price. Mid-ohio and Nelsons are the only reasonably flat tows for me so the 6.0 just wont cut it
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Down here there are many low mileage, late model larger capacity diesels for sale. When construction cratered a bunch of them went on the market.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
That was also a thought of mine, going south or west in search of a truck. But with gas prices, it may be cheaper just to buy one locally :P

Ken Wilkinson

Ken Wilkinson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:Mid Atlantic
  • Car Number:228
I have an 03 Silverado 2500 HD - 2 wheel drive that I bought 3 years ago with 81K miles. Now I am at 112K and have used it to tow a 24' V nose trailer that fully loaded weighs in at about 8,000 lbs.
Living in Virginia, I have gone as far south as Sebring and as far north as Mt. Tremblant in Canada. Flat interstates are great...75mph no problem...mountains...be patient...last trip to Mid Ohio via West Virginia...foot flat on the floor and maybe topping out at 45mph.
I leave Sunday for 2 days at Watkins Glen and the 425 mile trip will take me about 8.5hrs of drive time and will average about 9mpg.
When I get rich I am getting a 3500 duely 4wd diesel!

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
I have a gas Yukon XL 2500........ 2009. It tows my 26' enclosed trailer pretty well. I'll let you know how it does with the hills going up to the Glen.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Not one of those Ford piss on Chevy guys...but I have the 7.3 Ford diesel that knock on wood has been a great motor(2000 f250 2wd). But avoid the 6.0/6.4 Ford Diesels. In the end you'll never notice the extra bucks you'll spend on a diesel but you may regret buying a gas rig to tow for years to come :o

Just my preferance and 2cents! These aren't fighting words :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Not one of those Ford piss on Chevy guys...but I have the 7.3 Ford diesel that knock on wood has been a great motor(2000 f250 2wd). But avoid the 6.0/6.4 Ford Diesels. In the end you'll never notice the extra bucks you'll spend on a diesel but you may regret buying a gas rig to tow for years to come :o

Just my preferance and 2cents! These aren't fighting words :D

We tow with an F350 with the 7.3, tows pretty awesome. My father is a die hard Chevy man and a bit old school, so in effort to keep him happy, I gotta find a nice 8.1 gas truck...

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92

We tow with an F350 with the 7.3, tows pretty awesome. My father is a die hard Chevy man and a bit old school, so in effort to keep him happy, I gotta find a nice 8.1 gas truck...

as someone who used to tow with a 8.1 gasser, and now owns a diesel my comment is, the only one who will be happy is the guy not emptying his wallet towing with the gasser.
my diesel gets me 11 mpg going 80 mph, hills and passing are no issue. this is with a 24" enclosed trailer, AND a 4Klbs camper in the bed of the truck.
it does all this with little effort.
my 454 gasser was getting 6 MPG, i could do 65-70 max, over this and i could feel i was pushing the rig too hard.

$/mile( using current prices in az)
gasser $3.60/gal for 6 miles= 60 cents /mile
$4.10/gal for 11 miles = .37 cents / mile

now add in the ease that the drive is with the diesel in that passing, accelerating, and hills, are just not an issue any more. i show up to the track relaxed, and ready for the weekend.

the deisel rig was the best move i ever did.
it cost more to buy, but the resale is MUCH better.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

as someone who used to tow with a 8.1 gasser, and now owns a diesel my comment is, the only one who will be happy is the guy not emptying his wallet towing with the gasser.
my diesel gets me 11 mpg going 80 mph, hills and passing are no issue. this is with a 24" enclosed trailer, AND a 4Klbs camper in the bed of the truck.
it does all this with little effort.
my 454 gasser was getting 6 MPG, i could do 65-70 max, over this and i could feel i was pushing the rig too hard.

$/mile( using current prices in az)
gasser $3.60/gal for 6 miles= 60 cents /mile
$4.10/gal for 11 miles = .37 cents / mile

now add in the ease that the drive is with the diesel in that passing, accelerating, and hills, are just not an issue any more. i show up to the track relaxed, and ready for the weekend.

the deisel rig was the best move i ever did.
it cost more to buy, but the resale is MUCH better.

Which diesel did you end up going with?

Dudley

Dudley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:01
i am prejudgest, a cummins diesel the way to go. have worked in dealership with these trucks for over 20 years. great reliabilty and proven performance.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

i am prejudgest, a cummins diesel the way to go. have worked in dealership with these trucks for over 20 years. great reliabilty and proven performance.

Which year Cummins did you find the best?

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
I use a 25' RV with the Ford V-10 pulling a 24' enclosed trailer. Hell of a motor. Cruise at 60-65 at about 2 grand in OD. Leaps from the stop signs and actually accelerates going up the hill to the glen. My first Ford product but I'm impressed. Don't ask about the gas mileage.

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Number:92
i went with excatly what dudley said;
04 dodge dually with the 5.9 cummings.
should have done it years ago.
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Like Josh says you'll be better off long term for that kind of load with a diesel. However, I've got a 2008 F150 and I get 12-14 mpg pulling 9k plus on an open trailer, hills/grrades no problem. In town commuting and highway I can get 20 mpg if I keep it at 65 mph or so unladen. For me it's a few thousand dollars a year in fuel costs saved compared to the diesel. On the flip side, with even a small enclosed trailer (20' or so) I'd likely buck up to a 250 with a diesel if I were doing more than 1k miles or so a year.

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
Thanks for all the input guys... I found some duramax's that I like. With the amount of traveling I will do this year and having a 28' trailer, which isnt very new so its a bit heavier anyways, I think a diesel is gonna be the choice. Just the crew chief may not find out till I drive it over :D

Cy Peake

Cy Peake

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Number:7
03 Cummins 2500 here and it has zero problems pulling my open trailer with 161K on the clock. I jam it into 6th gear over 40mph and get 21mpg around town during the week. A buddy just got a brand new 2011 dually with the 6.7L and man is that thing NICE compared to mine (both are Laramies).

-Cy
Supported by LTD Racing

2011 + 2013 NER STU Champion

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
I rode with Charlie Campbell last year in his Cummins. You couldn't even feel his trialer behind him. I'm looking for a Duramax to be honest. I'm a chevy kinda guy. Thanks everyone for the input!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users