3 replies to this topic

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:88
At TWS last weekend, my cars normal HLA ticking noise changed to a clacking. Car still ran, but a loud noise could be heard when engine was reved up. I cut open the oil filter and no bearing metal was found, so I assume it is a collapsed lifter. I removed cams to check them out. The service manual states that if you are able to manually push the plunger on the lifters in and out, then the lifter is bad. Checking mine, all but one do this. I can manually press all of them in and the feel "squishy". I assume this means all my lifters are bad? Any insight? Car does have 160K miles. I am planning on just putting in new lifters, but was wondering if there is anything else I should do while I have it torn down this far?

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
Yup. All are bad, pretty common at that mileage. You'll be amazed how quiet the engine is with good HLA's.

There are some Kia lifters made by Mazda much more affordable. The search engine is your friend.

Partsgroup has them for $22.00 each.

Some members have reported finding Kia lifters #247-12-101 for as little as $10.00 each.

Good luck

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Bruce at partsdinosaur.com is a great guy. Top notch service and great prices. HLAs are $6.95 each.

http://www.store.par...product974.html

At 160k I'd do everything that you can.
  • Tom Ghan likes this

Gunpilot

Gunpilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:88
Thanks for all the great info. I have 2 complete sets on order from Parts Dinosaur.

Is it as easy as revoing old ones and just dropping in new ones? They all lifted out easy with a magnet. Any need to coat with oil or any other special trick to make it go smoother?

While I am there it will also get a new front crank seal. Timing belt is new(ish).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users