Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I'll talk to SFR-SCCA about this and I hope they will also refund my entry fees for this mess.

LOL, you crack me up Doug. I should build a cheater car and then demand a refund when I get caught but not successfully prosecuted.

Any relinquishing of records is a voluntary act of good faith between you and your peers, not between you and the SCCA.

If I was in your position and didn't want my trailer peed in, I'd be apologizing profusely for not being more vigilant about my car's power output, regardless of badly written rules.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Doug Makishima

Doug Makishima

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:52
The refund quip was tongue-in-check.

What part about "my car WAS retested" is unclear? I guess I should have redynoed it after it was redynoed...
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

The refund quip was tongue-in-check.

What part about "my car WAS retested" is unclear? I guess I should have redynoed it after it was redynoed...

Regardless, your car somehow found a lot of power, and your peers are going to hold you responsible for it even if the rules failed to.

If you want to be a stand up guy:
Apologizing is step 1. If you didn't actually mean to have over 113hp, step 2 is working with the dyno shop and class creators to figure out what went wrong with the sealing and make a list of every change that has been made.

If you want to be a tool:
Tell everyone your car is tech shed legal and wish them luck with catching you or kicking you out of the class.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
This is the double edged sword of the SCCA. I suspect that if this was at a NASA event, they would have shrugged at the lack of definition of "sealed" and given Doug and his results a swift kick in the kiwis on the spot. Then asked him not to show up again until his car dynoed like the rest.

Nothing like the efficiency of a benevolent dictatorship.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
As long as you mentioned NASA.
http://www.nasaprora...miata_rules.pdf
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Numbersix

Numbersix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:sfr
  • Car Number:6
Excellent Posts Rob !!! Very Nice Work

Numbersix

Numbersix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:sfr
  • Car Number:6
Very good posts by Juan as well .... Concise and well written buddy ... All of your questions should be answered ... Nice work

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I have no dog in the hunt. I don't know anyone, and don't live in sfr. But, as a disinterested observer I find this headhunting attitude curious.

What is good for the goose.... so, how many of those suggesting that Doug should dyno more are doing what you preach? How many people are doing it to make sure their car doesn't GAIN horsepower? How many people would have thought it possible to gain 8 hp? Judging by the skepticism, i would say NONE.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

This is the double edged sword of the SCCA. I suspect that if this was at a NASA event, they would have shrugged at the lack of definition of "sealed" and given Doug and his results a swift kick in the kiwis on the spot. Then asked him not to show up again until his car dynoed like the rest.

Nothing like the efficiency of a benevolent dictatorship.

It's only benevolent if you agree with the results.

What is good for the goose.... so, how many of those suggesting that Doug should dyno more are doing what you preach? How many people are doing it to make sure their car doesn't GAIN horsepower? How many people would have thought it possible to gain 8 hp? Judging by the skepticism, i would say NONE.

Hardly any of the people posting are even in the class, let alone practicing what they preach!

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
On the other hand...

Doug you don't do yourself any favors by ignoring a direct question repeatedly. It raises suspicion levels. I think any secret you might be trying to hold on to is worth less than you reputation.

You said that you made some adjustments after the car was sealed. Unless I missed it above, i don't see where you have explained what those adjustments were.

I think Juan has asked three times at my last count.

If you truly want everyone to believe your side of the story... stop selectively answering questions. I doubt you'll drop to the pack next race just because everyone knows some magic adjustment.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Number:34
Last word I heard from the board is that they are working on revising the track records from the weekend. But still not up yet on the web site. Doug, thanks for voluntarily withdrawing those results.

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Doug Makishima

Doug Makishima

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Car Number:52
I love all the friendly advice about how to manage my reputation. No one believes me anyway, and I had already decided before the rule change and posting of the numbers to switch to SMT. The ironic thing is that since I truly didn't know that my car was putting out that HP, I actually had already ordered a new engine for SMT before the posting of the numbers! All previous dyno results were 117-118 or lower before sealing. Since my car had been compliance tested after sealing, I assumed it was in range, but probably at the high-end. With no break-in time, the new motor will likely not be as strong as the old one at Laguna this weekend. Had I had know, I wouldn't have spent a lot of money on a new engine...Doh!
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
I don't know you, and we aren't friends. My advice wasn't friendly, but it was trying to be neutral. It was sincere. But, you can be sarcastic if you like.

I posted two posts : one of which wasn't in support of your position. I think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I understand that some who do know and race with you feel that trust is not deserved.

-tch

Tyler Dahl

Tyler Dahl

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Car Number:70
Pretty simple, what adjustments did you make?

If you don't answer I think you are hiding something.

Tyler Dahl

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Hate to say I told you so, but here are just two posts from 2009 where this EXACT problem (no rules for recourse on a 121HP dyno pull) is called out:

http://forum.specmia...0964;p=0#000029

http://forum.specmia...0094;p=0#000045

Scott already posted another one. If anyone is surprised by discovering this hole now it's simply because they weren't paying attention to all the discussions previously.

I'm glad to see that someone is stepping up to seal up some of the holes (pun intended) but as others have said, I think you're only scratching the surface for the rules you'll need to effectively enforce the true intent of this class.

I can't help but to think of the parallels to the saying (in places where these sports matter) that Rugby is a thug's sport played by gentlemen while Soccer is a gentlemen's sport played by thugs. You can decide yourself if SSM is Rugby or Soccer. ;-)

I'll go back to the V8 swap forums, now...

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Is there a sealed spec V8 Miata class? (there is a new sealed spec Ariel Atom series btw)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88
Just asking the question...
Do we still have a problem?
Or with everyone on mufflers, SSM are equal?

http://www.mylaps.co....jsp?id=1903626

1 42 Michael Niemann.......1:47.430 ..11 ..74.996 .. SSM
2 44 Phillip Holifield...........1:47.425 ..3.... 74.999 ...SM
3 7 Nick Buchanan............1:47.540 ..8 ... 74.919 .. SM
4 96 Greg Cicatelli.............1:47.506.. 5 ....74.943 .. SM
5 80 Doug Makishima........1:47.681 ..2 ... 74.821 ...SM
6 21 Alan Fudge................1:48.458 ..2 ....74.285 ...SM
7 59 David Petruska...........1:48.721 ..13 ..74.105 .. SSM

J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users