G-Man

G-Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Colorado Region
  • Car Year:1985
  • Car Number:45
Finally got some good racetrack video up on YouTube! Pueblo Motorsports Park, running HPDE4/TT with NASA, May 14-25.

Why did the car suddenly spin? I'm wondering if it is the famed Rx-7 snap oversteer from a binding rear suspension - except in all three spins the rears lock well after the apex and the last two don't seem to have enough suspension movement to cause binding.
Any thoughts?

Overnight, I sat and thought about how to get faster. The answer I came up with? Be smoother.
In later sessions, I backed off the speed to have better, smoother lines with earlier turn-ins (but the same apex points) and much more precision. I think it was working well, but I ran out of time to put a really good lap together for all ten turns.

Driving/line comments encouraged!

PS: Anyone know what it takes to get YouTube to display a video in HD?

Check it out at youtube.com/watch?v=ZEtOKezNTnw (Watch it in 480p.)

Matthew Wolfe

Matthew Wolfe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:CDR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:73
Missed you at HPR.

Looks like in turn 5 you didn’t heal tow and you downshifted whale turning. This caused the rear to lose traction and come around. Try doing all your braking and down shifting in a straight line until you have it mastered, then you can try trail braking.

Turn 8 is a little harder to tell from the video but it looks like the car had not taken a set and was already stepping out when you were applying throttle. You also missed the apex where there is a little more camber in the track. That is a fast corner and can be taken almost full out but you do have to work up to it. Try braking a little sooner and getting back on the throttle before you reach the apex. The RX7 likes to be driven off its rear wheels. You have to be on the throttle to transfer the weight back so the rear will stick.

In 2 you turned in to late. You need to turn in the second before you see the curbing. Also get on the throttle so the rear will stick. It also looks like you carried the exit of one a little too far. You went from turning right to turning left and it doesn’t look like the car took a set before you were really into the turn. Basically the pendulum effect brought the rear around. Also, brake in a straight line then turn.

Just my 2 cents.

G-Man

G-Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Colorado Region
  • Car Year:1985
  • Car Number:45
Awesome analysis, Matt - thank you! Very helpful!
(Matt's our Region Spec7 champion and the former owner of this car. He's done a 1:52 lap here during a snowy Enduro while my best lap is a 1:57.1)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users