Photo

How to change Cross weight for mostly Right turns?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Delta
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:77
It has been suggested by another driver that increasing or decreasing cross weight will improve right hand turns on a track with predominantly right hand turns. So, assuming a change from 50.00% CW to a higher or lower CW, in which direction should I go: wedge (increase) or de-wedge (decrease)? Thanks.

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
If you download JD's set up guide it walks you thought the process. in order to do this you should have scales but I have made changes at the track on the fly and just try to get things close. If we assume that your car is at or close to 50/50 . you can make adjustments

The following is from the set up guide, download it .

NOTE: If a car has 49% of CW (cross weight) it is considered de-wedged. If it has 51% CW
it is considered wedged. De-wedge helps the car turn left while tightening up the balance on
rights. Vise versa with 51% wedge. I’ll explain it more later.
The fun begins! You are either REAL lucky and have a 50% car, it happens, or you see a car
that is wedged or de-wedged. Based on your CW %, you need to make adjustments to the
spring perches. The following procedure is crucial, a must. Keeping the ride height the
same is your friend on track and in doing this setup. Forget what your brain tells you, just do
what I say for this part.
If you are de-wedged (less that 50%) you need to do the following.
Up on the LR & RF
Down on the RR & LF
Make the adjustments in equal turns up and down (from whole turns to quarter turns). This will
increase the CW with hardly any ride height change. One round is about 1.2%, your car may
differ. Get it exactly 50%, not 50.1 or 49.9, 50.00%.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97
If you use 50/50 you cannot go wrong. Anything other than 50/50 is a very fine adjustment that will only yield in a few tenths at most if you are already driving the car at 100%. I have won many races with the 50/50 on right hand tracks. If you are losing by a few car lenghts than make a change if not don't bother or you will just srew yourself.
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

If you use 50/50 you cannot go wrong. Anything other than 50/50 is a very fine adjustment that will only yield in a few tenths at most if you are already driving the car at 100%. I have won many races with the 50/50 on right hand tracks. If you are losing by a few car lenghts than make a change if not don't bother or you will just srew yourself.

I am at that point. I've used 50/50 and now need a little better run on the front stretch. I have Jim's instructions memorized. By analogy, if de-wedge is good for turning left, then it figures that wedged-plus (50.something) will help turn right. So what I'm asking is: DOES RAISING THE CROSSWEIGHT A LITTLE HELP YOU TURN RIGHT?

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I am at that point. I've used 50/50 and now need a little better run on the front stretch. I have Jim's instructions memorized. By analogy, if de-wedge is good for turning left, then it figures that wedged-plus (50.something) will help turn right. So what I'm asking is: DOES RAISING THE CROSSWEIGHT A LITTLE HELP YOU TURN RIGHT?

The simple answer is YES. But there is no magical number, every track is different so try 50.5 and see if you go faster vs. the other guys not faster vs. yourself as the track conditions are constantly changing.

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Gibson

Rob Gibson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
I wouldn't start with 50.5 CW. I'd go 50.25 at most. But just try it and see how it feels.
Rob Gibson
RJ Racing
2011 25 Hours of Thunderhill Champion - E3 Class
2012/2009/2008 WERC Champion - E3 Class
2010 NASA Nationals Champion - TTE Class
rjracing.net
facebook.com/rj.racing
twitter.com/rjracing
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
50.4 works for me. You may also want to stand up the right front tire a little; maybe a half degree less than the left front.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Flyntgr

Flyntgr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

50.4 works for me. You may also want to stand up the right front tire a little; maybe a half degree less than the left front.

Thanks, Kwebb, Rob and Lee. I'll try the 50.4-50.5 CW first, and if needed, I'll raise the right front wheel a turn. What do you think about raising the right rear wheel a turn at the same time as raising the right front?

Lee, good to hear from you. Best of luck in the East.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
Remember it's a balance. Better rights will give you worse lefts.
I would do it at the track and record what's best (lap times/feel).
IMO,
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

AJ Roderick

AJ Roderick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Region:Neohio
  • Car Number:56

Thanks, Kwebb, Rob and Lee. I'll try the 50.4-50.5 CW first, and if needed, I'll raise the right front wheel a turn. What do you think about raising the right rear wheel a turn at the same time as raising the right front?

Lee, good to hear from you. Best of luck in the East.

Shouldn't you adjust all 4 corners to keep the ride height the same? Someone with more knowledge correct me if I'm wrong
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
A very wise golfer once told me to think of it as a 4-legged stool, ie, if you raise the RF and LR 1/4 turn, you should lower the LF and RR 1/4 turn
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
Yes.
Please read Franks comments above at a min.
JD set up Guide (downloads up top)^^^ is best ot know.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

A very wise golfer once told me to think of it as a 4-legged stool, ie, if you raise the RF and LR 1/4 turn, you should lower the LF and RR 1/4 turn

yes, adjusting all 4 wheels is the best way. 1/4 on each wheel is like 1 full turn on one corner (just as Denny said above). 1/4 turn all around should change the CW dramatically as a percentage. You may need to do just 1/8 all around.

K. Webb