Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
My electronic Stewart oil pressure gauge will not work. When i attached the wire to the sender, the terminal stud kept spinning around. Is it possible I broke the sensor; broke a wire off the stud inside the sender? I'm pretty sure I have oil pressure since I can see the cams coated with oil by looking in the oil filler hole. Can the sender be tested? Is the sender available at a local auto parts store? Thanks in advance.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Oops, the gauge is an Autometer.

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Bueller?

Brandon

Brandon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:48SM
Lee,
Are you using the factory sender/sensor or an Autometer-specific one? When I got my gauge set working (oil pressure & water temp) I went ahead and used the same brand for the senders. If I recall, the Autometer ones aren't exactly cheap and you may get lucky with a local shop having one on-hand else start burning up the phone lines of local speed shops...

Otherwise your best bet is to hit the Internet and see about overnight shipping unfortunately.

If I remember correctly, the nice thing is if you're still running the stock dash, with your '93 you can run a factory sender and still get a somewhat accurate picture of your oil pressure situation. It was the '94 and up models where the gauge turned into merely an idiot light I think...

Best of luck!
Brandon
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks Brandon. I am using the Autometer sender and have two new ones arriving today. I understand they are prone to failure. The reason for my questions is that I just put the motor back together, so I hope it is just coincidental that the sender failed at the same time. The motor runs fine, no noise, and like I said I can see oil getting to the cams. I will cross my fingers and hope the new sender does the trick.

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
Ended up being the sender. Problem is we mistakenly ordered the 0-80 psi sender and the car has a 0-100 gauge. Now the pressure reads high. At least we know we have oil pressure. <_<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users