Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Any helpfull tips for swapping the front subframe? I have a cherry picker with a load leveler and I thought I might stick my trans jack under the pan to keep it from shifting or stick blocks under the oil pan and use my trans jack to lower the subframe with all the other bits attached.

Since all the other parts will be swapped over, I'm betting there are shortcuts to disassembling everything and putting it all back together piece by piece. I am installing new adjustment bolts while I'm at it and I've thought about rounding the corners on the slots that the cams fit into with a file so they don't catch and snag the cams themselves when adjusting.

Tips and tricks to make it easier would be appreciated, as would seasoned advice that I'll cause just myself more trouble than anything taking shortcuts so just break it all down.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Just getting ready for a winter project, right Keith? Your car ran well at Pacific.....I wouldn't futz with it! As my son tells me frequently,..Dad, just drive it. You know what...you can get faster just driving it more often!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I did it in my garage. I was concerned since I've never replaced a subframe before but it was pretty straightforward.

Start with the steering rack. Unbolt the steering rack and use a bungee cord, wire, string or something to hold the steering rack up and out of the way.

Loosen the A arms from the subframe.

Shouldn't need to remove or loosen the shocks from the chassis or lower control arms.

Remove engine mount nuts on subframe.

I used a jack to lift the engine and trans off the subframe about an inch. Didn't need to use the engine hoist.

Loosen the subframe nuts and bolts and drop it. You'll need a deep 19mm socket and a breaker bar. Reinstall the replacement in its place and torque to spec.

Drop the motor back in place and torque. You may need to wiggle the motor a bit to get back in place.

Reattaching the steering rack bolts were a challenge for some reason. Everything else was surprisingly straightforward.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Basicly what Alberto said is the method of choice.

One hint is to use a vice grip to clamp the subframe to a floor jack. Makes it much easier to manuever in to place.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
Thanks for the tips! Pretty straight forward and it does seem I was going to make things a bit more difficult than needed.

Bill: My suspension had some issues. Very easily measurable ones, not just perceived. It will be nice to put them behind me and set up the car with a straight suspension for a change.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
That was pretty easy. I did disconnect the swaybar endlinks, and the swaybar bracket bolts were catching on the long upper control bar bolt heads to I backed those out a little too. When it came time to line up the engine mounts the engine had shifted to one side a bit so I just popped off the LHS motor mount to save myself some cursing.

Much easier than breaking down the whole suspension though. I didn't think you could leave that much still attached to the car.

Thanks again!

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

That was pretty easy. I did disconnect the swaybar endlinks, and the swaybar bracket bolts were catching on the long upper control bar bolt heads to I backed those out a little too. When it came time to line up the engine mounts the engine had shifted to one side a bit so I just popped off the LHS motor mount to save myself some cursing.

Much easier than breaking down the whole suspension though. I didn't think you could leave that much still attached to the car.

Thanks again!

I didn't see it mentioned, but for future folks I like to use one of those engine support things - I bought one cheap and it's way over engineered for the little Miata engine.

like this: http://www.hydraulic...ebar_189467.jpg

then that crap is out of your way and less likely to fall. and you can use a lift if you're so inclined :)

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users