Photo

Any Snap On TECHANGLE torque wrench users?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Need a new set of torque wrenches. My old Craftsman is no longer up the the task and the HF I got last season in the heat of battle was a mistake.

Is anyone using the digital TECHANGLE line from Snap On? I see them used for not too much more than the dial wrenches in many cases.

If you have one was it worth the extra cost? I'm looking for something I can do both in/lb and ft/lb.

fishguyaz

fishguyaz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Region:AZ
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
I had looked at those when shopping for my torque wrenches.
they looked cool, but just seemed like to much stuff to break, and expensive as well.
I went with a variety of 4 used snap on torque wrenches that i got on ebay for any range i will encounter.
the clicker type with a metal handle; i got them each for ~ $100, and i think they will outlast me.

the sears brand(now chinese i believe) have the cheap plastic handle. HF is a good place to buy hammers, not precision tools.

there should be a place in your state where you can send them out to snap on to be recalibrated.

I love my (used)snap on tools!!!!
Josh Pitt
1999 SM #92 SoPac division

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
The thinking in the race shops around here is that if it's not a Snap On or Mac or even a Proto the rest of the torque wrenches are pretty much the same. Junk. It's time to start bolting parts back on the car and an engine gasket rebuild is next on the docket. I've got a bid in on one of the 1/2" 250 ft/lb, those go for about a hun as you say. I'm looking for a 3/8" digital that I can swap between in/lb or ft/lb or even metric. I see the local guy on the truck every now and again and I'm sure he can point me to where I can get them calibrated. Thanks for the input. I'm starting to put together a collection of used Snap On as well.

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29
I have had a snap on digital torque wrench for about 4 years now, the only complaint is that i have to keep the battery cap off when in storage to keep the batteries from dying. It's not hard just a couple of turns but the only thing I have to say negativly about it. Cant beat the vibration and beep when torque is near/met.
You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Eau Rouge

Eau Rouge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Region:SFR
The only complaint that I have with mine is also a lack of battery longevity. Other than that, I love it.

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
Not to jump this thread, but has anyone used a Wright torque wrench? How do they stack up?

-Vick

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Todd Green

Todd Green

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Region:Utah
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:60

I have had a snap on digital torque wrench for about 4 years now, the only complaint is that i have to keep the battery cap off when in storage to keep the batteries from dying. It's not hard just a couple of turns but the only thing I have to say negativly about it. Cant beat the vibration and beep when torque is near/met.

+1. I have a TECH2FR100. I don't think the Angles were out when I got mine (6? years ago). I've not noticed excessive battery usage. A set usually lasts most of a season, but I'm mainly just torquing my wheels (15 races a year or so) and whatever bolts decide to come loose during nut-n-bolt checks. Anyway, I just love this wrench. Between flipping between units on the display (i.e., not having to calculate from nm to in-lbs etc.), to seeing the actual torque you applied, to not having to unwind the wrench when you are done makes it worth every penny.

P.S. Are you sure your SO's aren't checking out the vibration feature while you are on track, and that is why you're going through batteries like crazy? ;) ;) ;)

NASA Utah SM Director

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Endurance race winner - Any endurance race wins Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

joeg5982

joeg5982

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:wny-scca
  • Car Year:1982
  • Car Number:15
Find a Williams on eBay--better than snap-on.

I have the TECHANGLE also; nice, but prefer a Williams clicker style.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
Thanks gang. I just picked up a 1/2" digital Snap On, lightly used, just over $200. Neither of the race cars have torque to yield fasteners so I didn't really need the angle torque feature. I've got a bid on a 3/8" as well. It would be nice to score both for less than the price of the 3/8" alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users