• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
I don't normally cross post from my blog, but I need a little advice :

Http://www.tomhampton.info/2011/06/brake-failure

Comments here or there are equally appreciated.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

I don't normally cross post from my blog, but I need a little advice :

Http://www.tomhampton.info/2011/06/brake-failure

Comments here or there are equally appreciated.

I can't really see anything out of order in your pictures. I'm new this year to SM and felt a grinding in my brakes after my brake pads were past 50% wear. I thought my rotors must have gone, but when I measured them they were well within spec. They did show more wear than I was used to seeing. I checked for freedom of movement of the calipers and free spinning wheels with no issues. The grinding feel I was getting on track, went away. I did not hear anything grinding in my situation. I just ran them and they were/are fine. Not sure this will help you much....
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
Pads and rotors look good to go to me.... seriously, if the rotor isn't cracked you have not over heated it or overcooled it.
I would drag the brakes (hard) around the paddock before the next time on track. Possibly they just were not bedded well.

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Number:20
You might also hit the rotors with a DA sander, before the next event.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Sorry... DA?

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Mine often sound awful when I pull it out of the garage and onto the trailer after it's been sitting for a couple weeks. It soon goes away. I chaulk it up to the tiny bits of debris embedded in the rotors.

I've found that little mom and pop machine shops will turn rotors for under $10 if you want to dress them up a touch. Brake shops usually charge more than new rotors. There should be plenty of material left. I've found that haveing them turned just a hair makes it easier installing brand new brake pads too.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Nothing wrong. Racing pads grind rotors when they aren't HOT. Some brands do it more than others. Once you are in the correct temp range everything works as expected.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Scott

Scott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:33
Tom - left you a note on your blog site. feel free to call me on this.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
The dual action sander they use on body work that kind of leave little swirl marks, rather than straight marks. I use them to clean up rotors that get any kind of pad compound, or whatever, on them. Recommended by a Willwood engineer to remove one type compound before running a different compound pad.
wheel

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
DA = dual action sander. As used in body work among other apps. I got mine at HF, under 30 bucks with coupon. I use air but they come in electric too.

Opps, looks like wheel beat me to it...

Edited by dstevens, 06-14-2011 12:12 PM.

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
DA = Duck's Ass. Common hair style of the '50s. Long on the sides, combed back into, well, a duck's ass.

wheel

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
The rotor face looks more grooved than mine do running Hawk DTC60 pads and Centric rotors. The pad face also look a bit rough and I see some cracks in the material - didn't notice that on my Hawk DTC60 pads either. Will confirm tonight when I replace front brakes and rotors.

Were you able to get the pads up to temp during your event? I can't tell if it was a track day or race.

What were the ambient temps on the track?

Did you properly bed the pads?

How deep are those grooves in the rotor face?

Did you have any offs where sand may have gotten on the rotor face and gummed things up?

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
alberto-

It was a track day, not a race. Probably didn't get up to temp until the last session. Ambient was reasonable in the morning..but, the sun came out at lunch..and the temps reached 100 by the last session. In session 4, I was definately driving in deeper and braking harder. By the last session I was feeling pretty confident and was looking to see how late I could brake...particularly on entry to 6, 7, and 11 (ends of longest straights). Pedal, friction, and modulation were all consistent from first lap to last. No strange noises while on the track or upon return to paddock.

Yes, I followed the PFC bedding procedure.

The grooves aren't actually very deep. it was more the look of "galling" that had me concerned---The grooves that look like they were peeled.

No offs, one spin early in the day....but, I did stay on the black stuff.

I'll be sure and get a Duck's Ass Sander. thanks for the tip, Wheel!

-tch

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

alberto-

It was a track day, not a race. Probably didn't get up to temp until the last session.

That might be the cause assuming those pics don't exaggerate what I think I'm seeing. If you didn't get them up to temps, race pads sometimes leave ugly deposits like that on the rotors. I know my Hawk HT10 pads did on my RX7.

In the past on my RX7, I have used these brake temp products to get an idea of what kind of temps the brakes were getting to.

http://www.pegasusau....asp?RecID=4974
http://www.pegasusau...roduct=THERMAX6

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

DA = Duck's Ass. Common hair style of the '50s. Long on the sides, combed back into, well, a duck's ass.

You're showing your age or you've just watched American Graffiti. :lol: We have a pic taken about 50 years ago where my dad had a DA, white tee (Pall Mall reds rolled up in the sleeves and blue jeans, he was with my mom, a large goofy looking baby and a late 50s Chevy Biscayne. Biscayne was traded in a few years later for a station wagon when my brother was born.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
Just a quick follow up: As everyone said, the brakes were fine. I went to the track last weekend, same pads and rotors. I drug them hard around the paddock as suggested, and all cleared up. Good all day long. Thanks.

-tch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users