Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137
Hey guys. I'll cut to the short:

I pitched a water pump belt this weekend and did not get a charge light. The water temps went over half but not high, because the pump wasn't circulating I think it never pegged up, though I'm quite sure the temperature was very high.

I found out there was a problem when the car started misfiring from the dead battery. I brought it in and it was QUITE hot. I reassembled the water pump belt (nefarious adjustment bolt slipped) and the car proceeded to run like garbage.

When I got home I pulled the sparks and the inside of the sparks had more or less melted out of the spark plugs in cylinder 4.

I did a quick compression test - 160, 150, 155, 130, leakdown test in 4 was pretty much an abysmal failure, I started around 25% but that was the best reading I got.

I will pull the head and check the deck for tweaking but what other things should I go over? what in the block could I have damaged, what should I look for? I will send the head back out for repair, or would it be more sensible to find a core (i have dozens) and send that out. My head was a crate 3 years ago that I cooked 2 seasons back at the Milwaukee Mile, I sent it Stewart and then ran it all last season, and quite handsomly so far this season.

Appreciate any advice, other than the obvious (buy a temp gauge)

-Blake (The Slow One)

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
A friend overheated his motor earlier this season, 3 of the cylinders had vertical scoring, enough to catch a fingernail.
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

A friend overheated his motor earlier this season, 3 of the cylinders had vertical scoring, enough to catch a fingernail.

I will look tonight, I anticipate that is possible, in which case it might mean my season.

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Van B

Van B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:68
Figured you had engines stacked like cord wood over there and would just plug another one in.

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Figured you had engines stacked like cord wood over there and would just plug another one in.

sure, with 18% leakdown. Miatas will run with 300k on the clock, that doesn't mean they're race engines.

my head was salvagable but my block ended up having the cylinders completely out of round.
expensive mistake.

oh yeah, and a new radiator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users