Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:8

Does anyone have a clue how many people are racing 99+ across the country? Curious to see how many 99+ have been built etc. My gut feeling is that SM gets real small, real fast if its all 99+, no restrictor. Yeah, the big races will be well attended but not across the country as a whole.

I haven't really compiled all my thoughts on the subject yet but I could see it being a positive that everyone could be on the same motor, suspension and diff. It could allow a new life on the NA cars(where perception seems to have become reality). I also see some huge problems with that too.

1) Cost of doing a FULL swap, is it cheaper to just build a NB?

2) Parts availability(didn't we just find out that the 99 motor isn't being made anymore?). Should we step up to the 01+?

3) Do you allow partial swaps?(just the motor and diff etc), How hard is it to swap in the NB harness?

Kyle

Mitch Reading

Mitch Reading

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:65

A few different blends even within '99-'05.  I believe a few frontrunners are now building '01+ cars, over their top prep '99s. 

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Proposal #2:  Make 90-97 SM's allowable in the HP class, with no allowable changes from SM drive train or suspensions.  Tires, wheels, flywheels, areo, ride height, etc. would be free.  At last year's Run-Offs on a track that amplifies small differences, the leading first generation SM would have been 5th on the grid without the benefit of an open race tire, flywheel or aero.  STL is open to SM cars now, but requires additional development for the 90-97 to be competitive.  

These comments are not posted to be negative, just fact from the past and a current step up ladder system.

Several years ago when G production was still alive, but sort of kicking like the horse, Scott Peterson of MidDiv and myself attempted to get the Mazda Rx7 12A (rotary motor) classed in G production (we both raced RX7's). It really riled the folks in H and G production. It was a no go from the CRB and I don't remember the excusses for it to be not included. One excuse was that production is a devoleper/tinkers class and the RX7 at OEM fit to good.

I my humble jugment there is all ready a ladder system within the SCCA for those who are bored with Spec Miata speeds to STEP UP to and race at faster speeds.

At this time the 1.6 may race in either F or E production.

At this time the 1.8 may race in E production.

There are also other upward SCCA classes the Miata may race.

• KentCarter likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Making the 99+ the default SM is short-sighted. The 2006+ MX5 should become SM. You could still allow 1990-2005 Miatas to race as SM, just without any expectation of being competitive.

I think this is the most democratic solution as it requires everyone to re-invest at an equal level if they want to be competitive.

• KentCarter likes this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Making the 99+ the default SM is short-sighted. The 2006+ MX5 should become SM. You could still allow 1990-2005 Miatas to race as SM, just without any expectation of being competitive.

I think this is the most democratic solution as it requires everyone to re-invest at an equal level if they want to be competitive.

Isn't that how it is??

"If you can't (or think you can't) beat them, join them. Buy a 99

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

Looking long-term.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

Oh, so you got your parameters all figured so no car will have the slightest advantage.

This should be good.

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27

I for one don't want to see any more dividing of the class as it sits. As someone who races Nationals and Regionals, I don't want to be swapping weights and plates between all the races. Heck I even quit doing NASA because of the tire difference. Instead of trying to slow the older cars down why can't we speed early cars up. Yes it will cost money, but who doesn't want to go faster. There are a lot more early donor parts available than "99's" and up. A pipe, cam shafts, flywheel, or even a speced ECU could do the trick. I don't know the exact formula. I just feel there has to be an answer to do both.

Just My 2 cents,  :buried:

Kyle Freiheit

Kyle Freiheit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Number:8

These comments are not posted to be negative, just fact from the past and a current step up ladder system.

Several years ago when G production was still alive, but sort of kicking like the horse, Scott Peterson of MidDiv and myself attempted to get the Mazda Rx7 12A (rotary motor) classed in G production (we both raced RX7's). It really riled the folks in H and G production. It was a no go from the CRB and I don't remember the excusses for it to be not included. One excuse was that production is a devoleper/tinkers class and the RX7 at OEM fit to good.

I my humble jugment there is all ready a ladder system within the SCCA for those who are bored with Spec Miata speeds to STEP UP to and race at faster speeds.

At this time the 1.6 may race in either F or E production.

At this time the 1.8 may race in E production.

There are also other upward SCCA classes the Miata may race.

I agree that there is a ladder. Production doesn't fit with alot of the SM demographic, heck it doesn't really seem to fit with alot of the SCCA demographic these days, if you look at the numbers. Dont forget that you have got this HUGE base of 1.6 cars out there who are owned by people that will not be converting them to some other class. If they are not kept competitive, some could move to ITA, STL or some production class or maybe they cut their losses and move to some other class. How good would it be for anyone in SM to have hundreds of 1.6 cars for sale in the classifieds?

Kyle

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

I recently bought a dirt oval modified.  over 400hp, 2450lbs, $10K used.  My ladder might be oval shaped.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

How about giving the 1.6 a cam, and larger restrictor, or no restrictor for the 94 and up cars if we can get a cam for the 1.6 to keep up with the non restricted cars

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

How about giving the 1.6 a cam, and larger restrictor, or no restrictor for the 94 and up cars if we can get a cam for the 1.6 to keep up with the non restricted cars

Still sucks.  The 1.6 cars will probably have an even more funny shaped torque curve if you put cams in.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

It would be nice to see a good 99 torque and hp curve.  Never actually seen one, all I see are 1.6

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

So if we give you cams, what do we do with the 1.6 cars out west or the Miatacage builds or the one and only attempt I made? Give them stock cams and a restrictor plate while we allow you to run performance cams to even it out?  Maybe we should start rewards weights? Head starts?  

• pat slattery likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Brendan O

Brendan O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Region:SE
  • Car Year:2003

One such proposal that is floating around.. With Club racing moving to majors and "club racing next year.. Perhaps it is time to turn SM into 99/05 only for majors and Runoffs, 2400 no plate.   I race teh SM at 2400 and no plate, it is a lot of fun.

Just a thought

For me, this is REALLY exciting. Jim, if you and others could do this you would see me at the very first 2014 race with my 2003 OPM car. It cost quite a bit (at least for me) to build. I love driving my car with no plate and have been sitting on fence regarding getting my regional license and doing w2w with all the SMs. If above could happen, i would be the first to sign up for SCCA Double school in Jan, 2014. I would like to race my 1.8L without a huge amount of weight and a plate. I know it will take me a little while to move from regionals to nationals to Majors but I really hope this happens !!!

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Even if we instituted a HP to weight ratio limit the better brakes & handling of the NB would become more of the difference (it's not just power folks).  Do we then spec rotors & pads for specific yrs, then different shocks for each year?  Our rule book is a funkin mess already...

Bottom line is this: Pat (with all due respect) is gonna complain no matter what is done and folks who think 1mm in a RP and/or -15lbs will miraculously put their car on the podium (nationally) will remain delusional, again with all due respect.

Really.  If anyone can say with a straight face that overall 2012 & this season so far are worse than 2009 then I'd like to hear your reasoning as see your proof to support the claim.  Otherwise, stop pandering for the year you campaign and take my job as NASA's National SM Director cuz I'm getting tired of the biased noise.

Yeah, that's what I thought....

• Johnny D, David L and Jim Drago like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Mueller. I love you man...
  • john mueller likes this

K. Webb