* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
856 replies to this topic

KW78

KW78

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Also some other thoughts on these issues (So many I could write a book if I could type faster... ) :unsure:

While I don't have the national prominence of Dave W or Jim, In the last several Rocky Mountain events (Nasa or SCCA) our shop has had a chunk of the field in SM with either rentals or supported customers, so I do in fact live these issues in our area.  My .02 on some things:

I tried to buy the tools to make sure my valve jobs were legal before the 2013 runoffs, I was told that was a single batch an may not be available again.  I have not blended plunge cuts because the rule seemed clear enough to me.  That is "pocket porting" is essence and commonly addressed in alot of rule sets.

My customers want to be on an even playing field, and often think tech shed legal is what the standard in fact is.  When one of them bought a Race Engineering motor, the other bought a Drago motor.  Etc. Etc.  Our tech shed is weight and plate from the 2 regular tech volunteers.

The circle track crowd have figured out how to get around claimer rules for a long time.   It just isn't a deterrent in the end.

SCCA Enterprises are here in town, and no they can not possibly supply motors for another class unless they quadruple in size.  The Gen 3 conversion has them maxed as is.  Good folks, just under staffed.

once again out of time..

Kyle

• steveracer likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Who thinks the class was better when it wasn't a Runoff eligible class, or at least more fun.

who is old enough to to know about those ancient times?   :buried:  :flutist: 

• pat slattery likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

Call me crazy but why allow a plung cut in the first place? Seems like any mod to a head is not spec therefor should have never been allowed. Give a inch and people will try to take 1 1/16th! Stock head with no adjustments Done! I feel bad for the people that didn't get what they expected from their motor builder but when 20 plus cars run under the track record at the Glen major (or just about every major this year) what did they think was going on? This dont ask don't tell mentality is what feeds the problem in the first place. the best drivers are the best drivers and always will be but its a shame that a very talented driver might never have a shot by following the rules.

The reason for the plunge cut has to do with the core shift in the head castings.   Not all heads are created equal from Mazda not even close.  The rules were written to help make them more equal.  The class has had more parity over the last three years than ever.  A competent machine shop can do most of the work the builders are doing.  Not all heads are still equal when the come back from the machine shop, the original donor core still has an effect on the overall flow.  The work is intended to bring them closer.  The compression should be the same if the calculations are done correctly, mostly its down to some flow better than others.  What was maybe a 5-7 hp difference maybe down to 2-3 hp with the plunge cut.  

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

who is old enough to to know about those ancient times?   :buried:  :flutist: 

I miss getting regional contingency dollars for swiping throw away hankooks.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

I miss getting regional contingency dollars for swiping throw away hankooks.

You do realize there is a hoosier contingency for regional correct? 

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

You do realize there is a hoosier contingency for regional correct? 

a. Not for Council, they redacted it.

b.  The Hankook contigency was for the highest finishing ca weairng their tires.  Meaning I could finish 8th and get $100 if 1-7 was running Hoosier.

Those were the days, Archie.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

The reason for the plunge cut has to do with the core shift in the head castings.    

Or was it additionally, because the OEM plunge cut didn't meet the engine builders ideal? 

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I don't agree with you Dave W., while I do feel bad for the drivers that were found in violation and ASKED for a legal motor.

I don't believe the builders made a mistake they are to good. Drago specifically offers motors that state " we push every tolerance to get the most HP/TQ within the rules.". 

He helps write the rules and is already talking about making this legal.

Tiley admitted to pushing this area and apologized for it and then made jokes about it.

Thats bullshit these guys did this for their own personal gain$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Have there been any Rossini engines found to be none compliant or is one of the few with integrity.  

Do you really think any of these professionals would purposely send something illegal to this race. Knowing the heads where coming off, valves where coming out and every scratch in the head would be looked at. I have personally torn apart 4 motors in the Runoffs tech shed. Everybody knew what was coming. I do not believe these guys would be dumb enough to send something they considered illegal to this event.

Did they make an error in judgement? Did they mis interprit a rule? Maybe/probably. But not intentionally.

Mike Rossini is most definately a man of integrity.He needs neither you, nor I to defend him. I do not believe his engines where part of this inspection and thus his reputation is not part of this discussion.

It is this type of post with its negativity that will hurt the class much more that what happened at Mazda Raceway.

Dave

• FTodaro, James York and Blake Thompson like this

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Waterboy

Waterboy

MEATHEAD Racing Hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Number:15

Have there been any Rossini engines found to be non compliant or is one of the few with integrity.

Pretty sure in the whistle gate thread one of his motors was mentioned. You would have to go back and read if you really want to know.
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Or was it additionally, because the OEM plunge cut didn't meet the engine builders ideal?

IIRCC the rule is applied the same across all engine years. Also the 1.6 benefits the most from the work. So you should be happy the modification was approved. Or did you have one of the Majic 1.6 heads and wanted to keep other a from getting closer to you.

You always seem to go to the "evil engine builder card"when you don't like the explanation.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:39
To the SMAC, CRB, and anyone involved in writing new specs..... here is your dilemma as I see it.

1. if all the heads produced by those engine builders that have exploited the STR cleanup, are now deemed non compliant, then you have a HUGE expense and obligation on your shoulders to replace those heads.

2. If on the other hand you rewrite the rules to essentially legalize those engines then you will effectively remove the burden from your shoulders and transfer it to every other driver/ engine builder who will now need to do it in order to keep up.

I urge you to think this through carefully as WE WANT THIS TO BE A SUCCESSFUL CLASS THAT CATERS TO ALL AND NOT JUST THE FRONT RUNNERS.
  • KentCarter, pat slattery, Chris70 and 2 others like this

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Richard Hall

Richard Hall

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Car Year:1994

I tried to buy the tools to make sure my valve jobs were legal before the 2013 runoffs, I was told that was a single batch an may not be available again.  I have not blended plunge cuts because the rule seemed clear enough to me.  That is "pocket porting" is essence and commonly addressed in alot of rule sets.

The circle track crowd have figured out how to get around claimer rules for a long time.   It just isn't a deterrent in the end.

Kyle

Kyle,

I too looked into getting some head tools and came up empty. Even a set of drawings so I could make the tool would be handy. 

I agree claimer rules don't work a lot of the time. I think intimidation plays a large factor with the dirt guys.

The question I would like to ask the group is what do you want out of the rules? It seems to me some are saying the class has parody at the top now and that should be our goal. While others are saying the cost to get to the top parody has gotten out of hand and the rules should be used to get the cost back to what it was a few years ago.

Things I am curious to see.

·         An invoice for the work on a pro built head.

·         I would love to see an illegal head.

·         Dyno numbers for a stock head and one of the illegal heads on the same motor.

Note: Not to point fingers, Just to get a handle on what we are all talking about.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

IIRCC the rule is applied the same across all engine years. Also the 1.6 benefits the most from the work. So you should be happy the modification was approved. Or did you have one of the Majic 1.6 heads and wanted to keep other a from getting closer to you.

You always seem to go to the "evil engine builder card"when you don't like the explanation.

Cut the crap, my engine has way more than the driver does. Enough on that subject or are you in a total deflect mode and this is nothing but a funny game to you.. Before your 1999 engine was rewoked, did the intake valves have OEM plunge cuts? Simple question, the answer would be one word, YES or NO.

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

To the SMAC, CRB, and anyone involved in writing new specs..... here is your dilemma as I see it.

1. if all the heads produced by those engine builders that have exploited the STR cleanup, are now deemed non compliant, then you have a HUGE expense and obligation on your shoulders to replace those heads.

2. If on the other hand you rewrite the rules to essentially legalize those engines then you will effectively remove the burden from your shoulders and transfer it to every other driver/ engine builder who will now need to do it in order to keep up.

I urge you to think this through carefully as WE WANT THIS TO BE A SUCCESSFUL CLASS THAT CATERS TO ALL AND NOT JUST THE FRONT RUNNERS.

the only problem I have with #2 is that we have no objective data about if this makes any difference. we are speculating,

If the new rule makes them all illegal and supply and demand drives the cost over the top, then only the well funded and supported guys like you and maybe me, will get legal

I think the answer needs to be driven by facts, and quantify the advantage, I posted several pages about about potential cost saving solutions no one bit, but if it can be shown this is a consistent advantage a wt or plate change would fix it fast and cheap. but it cannot be based on speculation only Data.

You know what they say about assumptions.

edit for my spelling

• Richard Hall likes this

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Pretty sure in the whistle gate thread one of his motors was mentioned. You would have to go back and read if you really want to know.

Please dont  get in the way of a love story like this...  swinging form nuts is fun lol i must not be the only one

K. Webb