• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Car Year:1990

This company called Frozen Rotors sells cryogenic treated rotors for the Miata.  

Here is thier blurb: 

http://www.frozenrot.../frozen-rotors/

Has anybody ever used them? Does cryo treating the rotors prevent cracking? 

I've been replacing our rotors because they crack, not because they are at minimum thickness.  

I imagine if we turned the rotor to minimum thickness, the cracking would be more severe.  

Any input? 

-Z

Jeff Wasilko

Jeff Wasilko

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Region:NER
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:08

the service probably costs more than the rotors. I use the Napa premium and they're around $20 each.

gerglmuff2

gerglmuff2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Region:LOL
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:81

the metallurgy of iron is pretty well known by now. not really seeing a way you can change iron that much. 

Gordon Kuhnley: Driving miata's in all conditions, courses, and motorsports that I can. 

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

I've talked to several endurance guys that notice longer rotor life with cryo treatment. I would only bother with the expense if you are doing enduro racing. For sprint racing I usually end up warping the rotors before cracking them. I think it's also hard to get a strait answer on this because it's going to be hugely dependent on your brake pad setup and the track.

• William Keeling likes this

http://jenkinsracing.com

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

FYI, standard and endurance.

https://www.mazdamot...c-brake-rotors/

J~

2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Number:14

This is article is included for knowledge in the Cryogenics process. I'd believe this ASM International is the world’s premier metallurgical society tech article will/should eliminate excuses or guessed excuses.  When I started racing my Spec7 an occurrence happened at Road America. Came in after a session walked around the car looking and thinking, heard a loud crack noise at the R front. Inspected and found the brake rotor cracked through the one piece rotor/ bearing hub. Last cheap rotor I'll ever buy.

http://ctpcryogenics...e-2001-article/

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

I've talked to several endurance guys that notice longer rotor life with cryo treatment. I would only bother with the expense if you are doing enduro racing. For sprint racing I usually end up warping the rotors before cracking them. I think it's also hard to get a strait answer on this because it's going to be hugely dependent on your brake pad setup and the track.

FWIW, actual warping is quite rare. Most of time what people think or are told is a warped rotor causing a shake or chatter under braking is actually an uneven layer of pad material deposits. A very light turn or even some skillfully applied sandpaper will clean that up.
  • Bench Racer likes this
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

FYI, standard and endurance.
https://www.mazdamot...c-brake-rotors/

J~

Besides the coated version, C-tej/Centric does also make cryo treated rotors. I bought some for our 1.6s at heavily discounted prices but I didn’t notice them being substantially more durable, and as I recall they still ended up with the fine cracks.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
  • Region:ATL

FWIW, actual warping is quite rare. Most of time what people think or are told is a warped rotor causing a shake or chatter under braking is actually an uneven layer of pad material deposits. A very light turn or even some skillfully applied sandpaper will clean that up.

Tell that to Orielly's where I took a set last week to be turned.  Min thickness was ok, but there was warping.  When the disks were trued up, they were below min thickness.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

I tryed cryo years ago. Unless you are doing large batches, like 100 pieces, not worth the expense. They lasted marginally longer but not enough to justify the costs. Don't waste your money. Buy a high quality rotor and be done.

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Tell that to Orielly's where I took a set last week to be turned. Min thickness was ok, but there was warping. When the disks were trued up, they were below min thickness.

A buddy of mine aside, I have little confidence in the typical O’s employee. But if you really are warping rotors then I would be wondering about their quality and looking for other possible causes.

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72

We have the 2 worst tracks in the country for brakes. Blackhawk is 5 threshhold brakes per lap. 4 from top of 4th gear and 1 from top of 3rd gear. And we have Road Aamerica. Fast speeds, fairly slow corners build lots of heat in the brakes. Then the long straight allows everything to cool. You end up with brakes that go super hot, to cool to super hot, to cool again. The constant temp change causes cracking and warping. By using top quality rotors, l prefer the Brembo's, I have almost eliminated rotor issues.

Typical parts store rotors won't last a day at Blackhawk

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Tell that to Orielly's where I took a set last week to be turned.  Min thickness was ok, but there was warping.  When the disks were trued up, they were below min thickness.

Years ago I had some rotors turned.  Lightly turned.  As soon as you make them a bit thinner, they will warp/crack sooner.  If you're crazy about reducing reciprocating weight and don't care about a short useful life, it's a fine practice. 

For most though I think buying a better grade rotor as Dave said and changing them with each pad change or every other pad change is a good way to go.  With parts store rotors you really have no idea what you're getting and the same label on the outside of the box does not mean you're getting the same product from one purchase to the next. 

• luvin_the_rings likes this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Steve Scheifler

Steve Scheifler

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts
Shop around and buy spares when you find a deal, but honestly, rotors are SO cheap for our cars that every time I buy them I thank Mazda for providing adequate brakes stock and the SM rules for not allowing upgrades. Heck, replacement rotors for one of my street cars are nearly $500 each and that doesn’t even even include the “hat”.

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:22

Cryo is expensive.  

Not worth it for sprint races.

Enduro's I think is worth the expense.  The brakes seem to last longer and the chatter from uneven brake pad loading is reduced greatly.

We would cryo a batch of rotors for the year and use them mostly for enduros.   

Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

So why is everybody using them for Enduro's and not Sprint racing? Just because they last longer? 

OrangeCrush86

OrangeCrush86

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Region:Minnesota

So why is everybody using them for Enduro's and not Sprint racing? Just because they last longer? 

In sprint racing you aren't changing rotors on pit in. :)

http://jenkinsracing.com

luvin_the_rings

luvin_the_rings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

In sprint racing you aren't changing rotors on pit in. :)

I guess you would need to for the 25 hour. wow. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, rotors cryogenic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users