Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:10 SM

That is a damn shame for all. The same people that run the sprints don't run the runoffs do they?

Pat

Many of the same people will be working the Runoffs. But you also get volunteer officials from all across the country who come in to work the Runoffs. Just like the racers, the Runoffs used to be staffed by the "cream of the crop", but today, you can also get some participating that are not up to that level.

I haven't seen the videos yet, but I am confident that when I do, I can verify what happened. There should be a Grid Official at the pole position for the SM's (probably in the number 20'ish spot on the Grid), and a Grid Official at the head of the second row (Grid spot 26 if I remember correctly). These two people have to communicate. As the last few cars in the right hand row are released, the person at the head of the second row should be giving the driver at the head of the left hand row a count down of cars so they can feed out seamlessly. The Grid Officials, and Grid Chief, should have realized the mistake right away, and should have communicated with Race Control of the error. Grid made a mistake, but it could be corrected if they notified Race Control right away. I don't know if they did or not.

If Race Control received a notice from Grid that there was an issue, they should immediately notify the Operating Steward (who is setting right next to Race Control and is on the same communication network) who has to make a decision of what to do. The Operating Steward has a lot coming at them at this point, but they are trained and experienced in how to handle these situtiations. Keep in mind that they have the first group circulating the track on their pace lap, following where the two pace cars are to get the correct spacing between the two groups, pace car lights out at a certain point, listening to reports of how the group is forming up. An unusual call from Grid might not register as too important at that particular moment.

If the Operating Steward recognized what had happened early enough, they could either Full Course Yellow or Black Flag the field to allow the SM group to be Black Flagged into Pit Row to be re-gridded. Even if this was done quickly, the race would likely have been shortened by 2 or 3 laps.

I've tried to give a little insite into what all is going on at some of the various official's positions. I don't know what exactly happened, but it appears that the Grid Official screwed up, and I'm sure they feel bad about that. But there were opportunities to correct the mistake, but they didn't get corrected for whatever reason. We live and learn. People make mistakes. We try to learn from our mistakes. Maybe there are improvements that can be made to lessen the chance of this happening again.

One solution to minimizing these occurances is to have more and better trained officials. Many of our specialities are lightly staffed and will take almost anyone which shows an interest. Boosting the volunteer ranks and fostering a sense of pride in their jobs can only lead to better racing for everyone. This includes my challenge for drivers to get involved as volunteers. You would be amazed at what you can learn working out on a corner. But, at the same time, you have to sincerely learn the job and do it right. If not, you just add to the potential for mistakes.

Sorry, I just gave about 5 cents worth.

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Number:88
Hell's bells Jerry, You wrote complete sentences with correct spelling and actual punctuation. That's got to be worth at least a quarter.

It's a brave soul that volunteers to be a splitter.

-D
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53

I watched my race video and was surprised to see how mad I was during the grid mess and when we stopped for a black flag. I had buried the "Jersey" for almost 20 years, but in that 10 minute segment, it was like I never left and it all came right back to the surface. :D
Jim

Yo, Jimmy boy! Welcome da f**k home!

- Guido
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

mazda forever n1.6 just a cruch hay pay your way drive my 99 and i will drive your 1.6 winner taks all and i will spot you from pit lane
what you got old timmer :D

No need to drive yours, we plan on taking care of you with our car. LOL

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

bizarro

bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Grid made a mistake, but it could be corrected if they notified Race Control right away. I don't know if they did or not.

Methinks hard to do - T3 pace lap way - radio silence xcpt an alert - gridsy mistooky no alerty. Even if done u tink T3 poley gonna see BFA and come in? He be balling up hill outta 14 and go right by pitin methinks.
>> biZaRro #1 <<

Jerry Cabe

Jerry Cabe

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Region:Cincy Region SCCA
  • Car Number:10 SM

Methinks hard to do - T3 pace lap way - radio silence xcpt an alert - gridsy mistooky no alerty. Even if done u tink T3 poley gonna see BFA and come in? He be balling up hill outta 14 and go right by pitin methinks.

I agree that there is a point where it would be better to let the race start versus trying to stop the start. Protocol is radio silence except for certain stations calling in where the pace car is, and how the pack is forming - unless you have something that would effect the start of the race. Having a split group start certainly complicates the procedure and what actions the Operating Steward can take. But you don't have to black flag the first group prior to the start, just keep them under double yellow with the pace car. Get everything under control and then black flag both groups. Everyone looses laps and/or time, but everyone gets to start in the correct grid position.

Not knowing all the circumstances, nor the timing of events, I cannot say if things were handled improperly. Just saying that there might have been a course of action that would have been fairer than what occured.

And Bizarro, are you related to Andrew Charbonneau?

Jerry Cabe
2014 Cincy Region Race Chair

"Just driving SM until the F1 is ready - Well the F-1 car is ready, but I'm not."

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

And Bizarro, are you related to Andrew Charbonneau?

+1 :D

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

bizarro

bizarro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
Him big hero. Be da FCY SM Nat Champ.
Me not dat buzzy
>> biZaRro #1 <<

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Bizarro gotta be my man CG!

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
Or Yoda?

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region