Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Alberto, here's some suggestions to work up to:

#1 thing - you're letting off the gas early and it sounds like coasting or neutral throttle before you hit the brakes. It's full gas until it's full brake, and nothing in between. Look at your data (if you have it) and you'll see long G goes to just slightly negative I bet (which is slowing down due to wind/road resistance). Bad! Gas or brake! Good drivers complete the transition in (if I recall correctly) 1/3rd of a second.

#2 thing - work on braking harder, using more of the braking potential of the car, which will allow you to brake later. Some examples, going into T14, I stay flat on the gas until the 3 marker. I worked up to it by saying out loud (or in my helmet to myself) "flat, flat, flat...". Going into T5, you should be staying flat on the gas until you're well past the exit berm track right; the uphill allows you to get a monster amount of braking done in a very short space. Into T9, another uphill braking zone, lots of traction, brake late and hard.

#3 thing - your line looks pretty good and your hands are smooth. You need to just hold down the gas pedal longer and use less brakes. Easy, isn't it? Posted Image Good luck on getting the car fixed!

Thanks Brian. I really appreciate the tips. I've been trying to figure out what I need to do better. Sounds easy as pie. :)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Only three cars were brought in to be whistled. Vodden was brought in for insufficient class designations on his car.

Brian

When I was getting our car ready I asked the tech if Dave needed something(tools)as he walked away and left his car. He said he was going to get his mechanic to do the work...I just assumed he was next in line after us as I think the tech did also. Thanks for the clarification Brian!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Gayman

Kyle Gayman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:40
Thanks, Sean!

Alberto: Brian's advice is spot on. Gas on, gas off and brake on, and perhaps in between if you're throttle steering. If you aren't on the edge--meaning, generally, in or very close to being in a controlled slide/drift--then you're losing time. As for your spin at 5, it looks as if you were either on the brakes too long or simply coasted too much over it. Either way will make your rear end loose. I don't think it's because your tires were too hot. :) It's amazing how much speed these little cars will carry over that hill. And, if you go over with too much speed and you know you're not going to make it, just go off in the dirt on the right side! Not ideal, of course, but I've done it many times. (And, uh, don't take this as an endorsement!)

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Thanks, Sean!

Alberto: Brian's advice is spot on. Gas on, gas off and brake on, and perhaps in between if you're throttle steering. If you aren't on the edge--meaning, generally, in or very close to being in a controlled slide/drift--then you're losing time. As for your spin at 5, it looks as if you were either on the brakes too long or simply coasted too much over it. Either way will make your rear end loose. I don't think it's because your tires were too hot. :) It's amazing how much speed these little cars will carry over that hill. And, if you go over with too much speed and you know you're not going to make it, just go off in the dirt on the right side! Not ideal, of course, but I've done it many times. (And, uh, don't take this as an endorsement!)

Dan's has the taddle tail lights in his video, one light for brake, one for gas, one light should be on. It's a great tool.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Car Year:1990

Dan's has the taddle tail lights in his video, one light for brake, one for gas, one light should be on. It's a great tool.
J~

I need to add that to my car. Anyone got a how to?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users