AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78
I caught a racing fever, and I bought my 90 Miata. After reading the forum I sort of understand 70% of the deal, but I have few problems. One of them has to do with the seat itself. My car came with a seat I do not want, as I want my car to be as safe as possible within a specific budget and time.

The seat I selected is here: MY SEAT.

I'm not sure if the seat will fit into my Miata, and I'm not sure how to mount it. This seat is side mounted, which tells me there is some kind of bracket I will need. I have hard time selecting the correct bracket/bolts/etc online.

Please help me figure out if this thing will fit my car and what is required in order to install this legally.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Btw, this is a great forum, but few things are not working. The search is setup incorrectly. It does not allow to search for something like this: "engine oil". Perfectly valid search string, but the forum is configured to stop all searches if ANY of the words are shorter than 4 characters.

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
It should fit.
May have to use a BFH and modify the trans tunnel.
Tom H has his blog here, he notched it.
http://mazdaracers.c...10&showentry=65
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Number:59
I have the ProAdv seat, it is a good fit in the Miata. I am 6'5" so I did have to modify the transmission tunnel, but am not sure whether it would be required. That would depend on your height. As far as brackets, a company in Dallas (Cresson actually) MER sells some custom made side brackets that allow you to mount the seat basically flush with floor pan of the car.

Their website is here: MER
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

JayF

JayF

SM Racer

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Region:North East
  • Car Year:1996

I caught a racing fever, and I bought my 90 Miata. After reading the forum I sort of understand 70% of the deal, but I have few problems. One of them has to do with the seat itself. My car came with a seat I do not want, as I want my car to be as safe as possible within a specific budget and time.

The seat I selected is here: MY SEAT.

I'm not sure if the seat will fit into my Miata, and I'm not sure how to mount it. This seat is side mounted, which tells me there is some kind of bracket I will need. I have hard time selecting the correct bracket/bolts/etc online.

Please help me figure out if this thing will fit my car and what is required in order to install this legally.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Btw, this is a great forum, but few things are not working. The search is setup incorrectly. It does not allow to search for something like this: "engine oil". Perfectly valid search string, but the forum is configured to stop all searches if ANY of the words are shorter than 4 characters.

I am running the Sparco Circuit Pro in my car. The cage will be the bigger factor on if that seat will fit or not as these seats do take up a ton of room. To get it to fit and get it low you will need to cut out or grind of the rear factory seat humps. From there I used this floor bracket from AWR racing. http://store.awrraci...er-Pattern.html For side mounts I used these from VAC motorsports. http://store.vacmoto...rsal-p1472.aspx The big difference between them and mounts like Sparco's is they are almost a perfect 90 degree bend where as the sparco's come out and then bend back up and in. I found this setup to be the slimmest and required the least amount of massaging the transmission tunnel with a hammer. I had the sparco side mounts originally and I just couldnt get the seat in far enough without having to actually cut and notch the transmission tunnel. I recommended the same setup to someone else on here and he is happy with it as well.

Jay
-- Jay --
96 Spec Miata - Build in progress
North East SCCA

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I'm glad this seat can work in the Miata. I'm 5.8, so it should be easier I hope.

To get it to fit and get it low you will need to cut out or grind of the rear factory seat humps

Is this legal with SCCA/NASA to modify the seat in such a way? I'm assuming so.

The floor bracket from AWR racing, is that required? Are side mounted seats required to be mounted from the floor as well?

Also, I forgot to ask, can you guys recommend good bolts for the brackets?
I found these (bolts I found), but I'm not sure if that's why I need, and if they will be OK for the TECH inspection

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

I'm glad this seat can work in the Miata. I'm 5.8, so it should be easier I hope.

The floor bracket from AWR racing, is that required? Are side mounted seats required to be mounted from the floor as well?

It is legal to remote the rear seat mounts (on the vehicle floor pan). You will have to have some type of side mounts, the floor bracket is not required, but it would be wise to reinforce the floor where you are mounting the seat brackets. Side mount seats do not need to be bolted through the seat bottom, the side mounts are sufficient.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Also, I forgot to ask, can you guys recommend good bolts for the brackets?
I found these (bolts I found), but I'm not sure if that's why I need, and if they will be OK for the TECH inspection

You're going to need a rulebook: http://scca.org/cont...aspx?content=44

Read it 10 times, and report back. Okay, 10 really isn't enough. But, its a start. Car requirements are in Chapter 9, and the specific car class apendix (SM, ITA, etc).

Someone else can post the NASA details...I don't have them handy.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

It should fit.
May have to use a BFH and modify the trans tunnel.
Tom H has his blog here, he notched it.
http://mazdaracers.c...10&showentry=65
J~

For reference, I have a Ultrashield 16" VS Halo seat. This seat is about 18" (outside dimension) wide at the front edge (16 1/4" at the rear). In order to center this seat on the steering column I had to gain about 3" of room into the transmission tunnel. With a BFH I was only able to gain about 1 1/2". While being slightly off-center of the steering column wasn't an issue to me, I didn't have as much clearance between my helmet and the top of the cage side as I wanted.

I had to cut the tunnel to move the seat over enough that my head did not contact the roll-cage before the halo left side brace. With the modification, I get about 1/2" into the halo before my my helmet contacts the bar-padding. I think this is a GOOD thing, and worth the trouble of cutting the tunnel.

I might have been able to get away with less, if I had been willing to rotate the seat so that it was not parallel with the car axis. Cutting the tunnel isn't that bad...if you or a friend can weld the sheet metal.

In addition, the tunnel notch precluded the use of the stock catalytic converter. Not much of an issue if you only plan to drive at the track (i.e. NEVER on the street). I wanted to keep my car street legal, which means I must have a cat. I bought a 2" spun cat at O'Rielly, and had it welded into the stock exhaust. I'll swap to a race exhaust (SD) before track events.

If you want to reuse your stock cat, you must think ahead. A muffler shop cannot INSTALL a used catalytic converter. However, they can MOVE the installed converter. So, before you notch the tunnel....have the cat moved behind the passenger floor pan. If you do as I did...and find out that the cat can't be remounted...you will be required to purchase a NEW cat, for the shop to install. PITA and $$$.

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
I run the Sparco Pro ADV seat you posted in my car. I also sat in the Circuit Pro. The Pro ADV has a bit more room - especially in the leg/thigh area which provides a bit more crotch room and therefore more comfort - at least for me. :)

It fits my caged SM race car w/o any problem. I'm about 5'10", 185lbs, ~36" waist w/ an avg/athletic build with typical 40 year old padding in the mid-section (read beer belly). My business suit size is about a 42 Regular for reference.

My install did not require transmission tunnel clearancing but it sits VERY close to the rear hoop of the roll bar of my custom cage. With 99% certainty, I can tell you that you will have to cut out or remove the stock rear seat mounts with any race seat mount at your size.

My recommendation on install is to find a local race fab shop make you a bracket and install it for you and fit the seat installation to your body. Prior to installing, pick out your roll bar or better yet have the race fab shop build you a half cage for the rear that will fit your dimensions and chosen seat.

The Miata is tight on room. A good race shop can make the most of the fitment.

If you plan on driving the car on the street at all, avoid halo seats. It seriously compromises side vision to the point where driving in traffic is challenging.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Edit - I just realized that the OP and BrianW are different peeps. If you aren't 6'5", fitment should be easier.

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

If you plan on driving the car on the street at all, avoid halo seats. It seriously compromises side vision to the point where driving in traffic is challenging.

Hmmm....I have an AllView™ mirror and I can see out the side of the car with that better than I can in my DD. Its so effective it scared me the first few times I drove past (or got passed by) a truck on the RHS.

-tch

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Hmmm....I have an AllView™ mirror and I can see out the side of the car with that better than I can in my DD. Its so effective it scared me the first few times I drove past (or got passed by) a truck on the RHS.

I have an AllView also. My eyes are on level with the Halo portion of the seat. I can't see the pax side mirror at all unless I tilt my head forward. With the AllView, I can make out part of the pax side blind spot reasonably well. I can't see my driver side blind spot at all w/o the spot mirror I installed on the down tube near the windshield.

Pulling out of a driveway is difficult as well. Need to tilt my head way forward to see past the halo.

Also, the seat is big and tall. The rear of the seat comes up to the bottom of the roll bar. Visibility directly behind the 1/3 of the car behind the seat is non existent.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
In general I think it is a really bad idea to try and keep a race car street legal. Sure, it can probably be done but in my opinion it is a mistake.

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

In general I think it is a really bad idea to try and keep a race car street legal. Sure, it can probably be done but in my opinion it is a mistake.

I agree. I drove mine on the street a few times after it was caged and the safety equipment was installed. Usually to/from race prep shops. Not enjoyable.

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:9
One more thing to consider, I see BrianW states that he is 6'5", and uses a Pro-ADV seat. I would caution those who would assume that at 6'5" a FIA seat is a sure thing. I am 6'3" and could not get any headroom with the Pro-ADV seat, I carry more of my height in my torso, so prior to making the selection, you should consider your body's proportions too.

Greg

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

One more thing to consider, I see BrianW states that he is 6'5", and uses a Pro-ADV seat. I would caution those who would assume that at 6'5" a FIA seat is a sure thing. I am 6'3" and could not get any headroom with the Pro-ADV seat, I carry more of my height in my torso, so prior to making the selection, you should consider your body's proportions too.

Greg

Good point. I am pretty evenly proportioned between torso and legs (34" inseam) and my helmet basically touches the roof with the seat mounted on the floor. Bottom line, is the car is an extremely tight fit when you are this tall and everything has to be close to perfect for you to fit.

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Sorry. I was not able to read all the replies as I worked on the car all day and returned home in order to pack for my NH driver school tomorrow. When I come back on Monday I will go through the posts.

So far I was able to pull out the old seat today and this whole thing became much clearer :)

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Hmmm... there are quite a few people who not only keep thier car street legal, but drive to the track for races. Admittedly, driving to/from races is pretty extreme and risky.

However, i I don't think there is anything about keeping a race car street legal that qualifies as a "mistake".

It's not even difficult. In Texas, beyond the racecar stuff you need lights, emergency brake, and a horn. If you live in one of the emissions counties, then you need a catalytic converter. None if these things compromise the car as a racecar.

It is quite convenient to be able to test drive around the neighborhood after major repairs without fear of getting a ticket.

-tch

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Hmmm... there are quite a few people who not only keep thier car street legal, but drive to the track for races. Admittedly, driving to/from races is pretty extreme and risky.

However, i I don't think there is anything about keeping a race car street legal that qualifies as a "mistake".

It's not even difficult. In Texas, beyond the racecar stuff you need lights, emergency brake, and a horn. If you live in one of the emissions counties, then you need a catalytic converter. None if these things compromise the car as a racecar.

It is quite convenient to be able to test drive around the neighborhood after major repairs without fear of getting a ticket.

I don't recall a single car at any texas race this year being driven to the track. YMMV

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63

I don't recall a single car at any texas race this year being driven to the track. YMMV

MIne is still street legal (except that I have no cat, the horn is no longer hooked up, and my tires are lower than the DOT limit, I removed the OEM seatbelts, I removed the air bags).

ITA 1995 Miata with tags and registration. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users