- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

AustinRJ

AustinRJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi. I am new to racing and need some tips for setting up a Miata for my 6'5", 185 lb frame. I will likely have my car professionally set up at Driveway Austin after I find a good Miata to buy.

What year Miata would be best? I saw another tall driver on this board is driving a '99. Is a '99 a bit bigger than older Miatas?

Also, are some roll cage set ups better than others?

Any tips you can give me so my car will fit me well would be really helpful.

Thanks!

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:59
I don't know that a 99 is any bigger than the 1.6's but the min weight is higher. I am 6'5" but weight 220, 230 with driver gear so making weight is a concern. At 185 you should have no issues making weight in either model of car. One of the largest differences in buying a built car is the quality of the cage. There are a LOT of bad cages in cars out there. For me, I was not able to find an already built car that I would fit in because of the cage, so I built one. Others may differ in opinion, but I think for someone who is 6'5" you will be better off building a car. You are at the very extreme height of someone that will fit in a miata. Buying a car is much cheaper, but you have to find a car that you will be comfortable in.

Some things I would look for in a cage are:
  • Main hoop distance to B pillar
  • How tight is the A pillar hoop to the side of the car- landing perch
  • Are there any diagonals that will interfere with your head

The main hoop distance to the B pillar will determine how far back you are able to get the seat (you will definitely have to notch the tranny tunnel). The A pillar hoop landing perch will determine if you are able to access the dead pedal.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Mike Lliteras

Mike Lliteras

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Brian is right about getting one built, or at least be prepared to adjust or completly redo the cage. I've seen a difference of 2 to 3 inches in the location of the bar behind the seat. Also some drivers have the floor pan recessed to clear a little head room. An uncomfortable driver is a slow driver, especially if your just starting out.

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts
There is a NASA race at TWS the first weekend in August. I will be there and you are welcome to take a look/have a seat in my car to help you get a better idea of things. There will also be a number of other SM's there so you can check out a bunch of different cars.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dfuser

dfuser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Southwest, Texas
  • Car Number:18
You need to get a hold of Ed Giflus. He builds Spec miatas, and can fit in you in one. His shop is right off 71 and I-130.
  • john mueller likes this

Bill Agha

SM 18

Sponsored by:  raceoutfitter.com

Engine/Setup:  X-Factor racing

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92
Yeah, Ed's the man you need to see!

Here's a link

http://www.gilfusracing.com/

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:NASA Midwest
  • Car Number:12
I'm 6'5" 190. I have a 99 and require some ballast to make weight. Leg room is not an issue in these cars, headroom is. I'm pretty proportional. Aluminum seat bolted to the floor.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

John Babot

John Babot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi. I am new to racing and need some tips for setting up a Miata for my 6'5", 185 lb frame. I will likely have my car professionally set up at Driveway Austin after I find a good Miata to buy.

What year Miata would be best? I saw another tall driver on this board is driving a '99. Is a '99 a bit bigger than older Miatas?

Also, are some roll cage set ups better than others?

Any tips you can give me so my car will fit me well would be really helpful.

Thanks!

"Armas para que?"

John Babot

John Babot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts
Sit in a few different Spec Miata’s to see what others are doing and what you like. Ed Gilfus is building my car now, and I had the same issue as you. The Spec Miata’s I sat in were too cramped for my comfort to execute “heel-toe” easily. The seat I have in there along with the design of the cage make for a long reach to the pedals. Your welcome to try the fit in mine, just give Ed a call.
"Armas para que?"

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:72
If Ed Gilfus is in your neighborhood, by all means, talk with him. You will be using an aluminum seat mounted on floor. Don't even thing about a composite seat, as you will never make it fit.

dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

If Ed Gilfus is in your neighborhood, by all means, talk with him. You will be using an aluminum seat mounted on floor. Don't even thing about a composite seat, as you will never make it fit.

dave

Dave, I know that you have WAY more experience with this than I do, so forgive me for this. But, I have a Sparco ProAdv seat in my car and it fits great with "plenty" of driver room. I am 6'5" and weight 220. The main hoop did have to be bent to accomodate the side of the seat and the side of the seat does touch the roll bar, but it fits.

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
No way I could get a mount and composite on my car and still have headroom.
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

HoneyBadger - BrianW

HoneyBadger - BrianW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

This was my original thought as well. MER makes a custom side bracket that puts the bottom of the seat against the floor, most standard mounts will not let you lower the seat that much. If you look at the thickness of specifically the ProAdv seat, it is really no thicker than an aluminum seat. It's just all about getting it mounted so the bottom of the seat is against the floor pan. If someone wants, I can take some pictures of the installation, but I can tell you that it IS possible. Not easy, but it can be done.

AustinRJ

AustinRJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

This was my original thought as well. MER makes a custom side bracket that puts the bottom of the seat against the floor, most standard mounts will not let you lower the seat that much. If you look at the thickness of specifically the ProAdv seat, it is really no thicker than an aluminum seat. It's just all about getting it mounted so the bottom of the seat is against the floor pan. If someone wants, I can take some pictures of the installation, but I can tell you that it IS possible. Not easy, but it can be done.

I want to thank all of you for your help. You are great. I am going to see Ed Gilfus and ask him to build me a car.

My best,

Rich

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Me too. I'm on my second revision of the mount and it's right on the floor, factory mount out. I'm using the Kirky 20* I had in the stock car for the last couple of seasons. Eventually I'd like a LaJoie or Butler built for my shape but don't know if it will fit. 6-4 and almost a 60" chest

Greg Kimble

Greg Kimble

Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:9
I mentioned this in another seat related thread, but being tall isnt always the issue, it is how your height is distributed between your legs and torso. I am 6'3" and we could not get a Pro-ADV to fit for me. I carry more height in my torso, so body proportion is important. Also there are cage designs where the main hoop of the cage mounts on top of the package tray which gives you a lot more room inside the car.

Greg
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Burkhardt

Kyle Burkhardt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Me too. I'm on my second revision of the mount and it's right on the floor, factory mount out. I'm using the Kirky 20* I had in the stock car for the last couple of seasons. Eventually I'd like a LaJoie or Butler built for my shape but don't know if it will fit. 6-4 and almost a 60" chest

Big boy!
Kyle Burkhardt
Team ///Miata #12
PajamaPants Racing
NASA Midwest
Posted Image

AW33COM

AW33COM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Region:NE
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:78

some drivers have the floor pan recessed to clear a little head room

WOW, is this legal?

I'm not sure if you built your car yet or not, but I'm going to tell you this: I bought a race car. It was a good car except the seat.
The seat was an alluminum seat, and I wanted a full Sparco (Pro-ADV) seat with shoulder and head support.

The previous owner was big. Very big. 6'5 I think. The seat was pushed all the way back. I'm 5'8, so I could not reach the pedals from that seat. When time came to remove that seat of his I realized what was done to the seat in order to fit it. His seat was cut at the left shoulder location in order to accommodate the cage. The left shoulder seat part was cut so sharp I cut my entire back while getting in. On top of that the seat was sideways. The steering wheel was off center, and the seat was not leveled. Super crazy setup.

Now, I just finished installing my PRO-ADV seat. The seat itself is much better, but I doubt you will be able to fit the seat and have the seat centered while being pushed back. As of now I only have about 1-2 inches between my seat and the cage behind it. And I'm 5'8.

I'm bringing this up, because the PRO-ADV seat has a 90 degree angle from the bottom plate to the right hip/knee plate. That means if the seat is not centered, you will have hard time keeping your right leg straight on the gas. It will simply bother you as your leg will be hitting the seat right bottom end. You may be able to pull it off, but you must design the cage in such a way that will allow the seat to go back as much as possible. The tunnel will have to be cut big time, and the seat has to be shaved a bit at the right bottom/front location. More, the bottom floor cross members will have to be removed. Now, when you do get it installed, remember there are 2 more problems: the right side mirror, and getting out of the car.

Otherwise the aluminum seat is the way to go, just like others suggested.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Negative on the pan lowering. After I did the first go 'round with a wire wheel after the carpet came out mine was rusted through in a few places. Normally I would have cut the entire side out and fabbed a new pan but with the SM rules the way they are I cut and fixed them in strips.

wreckerboy

wreckerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Region:NJ
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:53
Pan lowering is definitely NOT legal. Long time readers will remember the plight of "Bernard" (check the old site's archives) who was something like 6'5" and lowered the floor pan to fit. His argument was that it was a safety equipment/comfort and convenience issue, and it did not fly with the stewards. It may be his last post that described what happened and then he wasn't heard from again.
Rob Myles | "I didn't lose, I got out-painted!"
Hero To The Momentum Challenged
WDCR SSM #30

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users