DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:Buccaneer
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:06
I read about this a while back on the old site and have finally decided to tackle the project for myself. Tonight I took the calipers apart to check things out. My question is, is the adjuster that is inside the piston the only thing that needs to be removed? and will you still be able adjust the caliper manually after removing the auto adjuster?

Here is a link with some good pictures of the internals.

http://www.miata.net...rake/index.html

Which I got from this thread

http://mazdaracers.c...ch=1

Thanks

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

and will you still be able adjust the caliper manually after removing the auto adjuster?

No more adjustment. Will function like the front caliper. That is the name of the game because the adjuster extends the pad to the rotor creating drag. Throw out all the bits as long as you don't create a brake fluid leak.
  • Butters likes this
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
^^^ Awesome, thank you very much.

So were you able to remove the screw portion from the bore in the caliper? It looks like it would be difficult to do so without creating a leak.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

So were you able to remove the screw portion from the bore in the caliper? It looks like it would be difficult to do so without creating a leak.

If you refering to the hex head bolt with flat sealing washer shown in the upper left hand corner of picture "J", that MUST remain to keep brake fluid from leaking. Same sealing bolt/flat washer shown in picture "B" installed.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
FYI, Drago has ones already done in the classifieds under brakes.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

If you refering to the hex head bolt with flat sealing washer shown in the upper left hand corner of picture "J", that MUST remain to keep brake fluid from leaking. Same sealing bolt/flat washer shown in picture "B" installed.

I was talking about the screw piece that threads into the auto adjuster. I ended up just leaving it in though.

FYI, Drago has ones already done in the classifieds under brakes.
J~

Thanks for the heads up. Those are actually a great deal. I would have gone with them if I hadn't recently replaced my calipers.

DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
For anyone wanting to do this themselves, I thought I would take some pictures of how I did it. I did this without any special tools and using only brute force.

So the first step is to get the piston out. If you turn the adjuster all the way out, then you can simply jiggle the piston the rest of the way out by hand.

Posted Image

Here is the piston in the vice.

Posted Image

I used the impact to thread a bolt into the funky threaded hole in the adjuster. I just cross thread it in. This whole process made me really nervous since, at this point, if it didn't work I would be buying a new caliper.

Posted Image

then after about an hour of struggling trying to get at the clip with a screw driver, I decided to use brute force. I hooked a cat claw under the bolt like so.

Posted Image

and beat the hell out of it, in an upward direction, with a hammer. I was relieved when it worked. Here is the auto adjuster mechanism outside of the piston.

Posted Image

Then just put it back together. I hope this helps someone in the future.

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Number:49
Here's the easy way to get it out, very, very easy.

Set the piston on your bench with the adjuster guts facing up.

Drop the little toggle pin (rice shaped thing that is part of the adjuster) down the threaded hole in the piston.

Screw the adjuster (jack?) screw down into the piston until it hits the toggle pin you just dropped in.

Keep screwing it in (you may need pliers to grip the end) and once it bottoms it will push the adjuster stuff out.

I've done 4 this way, two I was able to do with no tools at all, two required simple pliers.

Alan

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

2016 SARRC SM ECR Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Here's the easy way to get it out, very, very easy.

Set the piston on your bench with the adjuster guts facing up.

Drop the little toggle pin (rice shaped thing that is part of the adjuster) down the threaded hole in the piston.

Screw the adjuster (jack?) screw down into the piston until it hits the toggle pin you just dropped in.

Keep screwing it in (you may need pliers to grip the end) and once it bottoms it will push the adjuster stuff out.

I've done 4 this way, two I was able to do with no tools at all, two required simple pliers.

Alan

I forgot, you will need to remove the jack screw to do this. That does require some finesse. (just use a pick to get the snap ring out)

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Richard Pressman

Richard Pressman

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:WDC
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:87
Great information. Answers all my questions. Thanks!!
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

DamonB06

DamonB06

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
Adax, you are a genius. I left the jack screw in place though. Are you putting the jack screw back in after this? or going without?

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
I actually sawed the entire e-brake apparatus off the back of the caliper and welded it up.

[attachment=1453:caliper_edited-1.jpg]

Thanks for recognizing my genius, very few do.

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I actually sawed the entire e-brake apparatus off the back of the caliper and welded it up.

Thanks for recognizing my genius, very few do.

It's probably material for a weenie protest but it's a damn good idea.

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
How is it not legal? From the GCR: "Parking brake mechanisms, and actuating components may be removed."

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

How is it not legal? From the GCR: "Parking brake mechanisms, and actuating components may be removed."

From the GCR Glossary defination:

Removal - To take off a componet.

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
I don't think that the removal of the item is the question....it's the "welded it up" part that may be questionable...
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Adax

Adax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

I don't think that the removal of the item is the question....it's the "welded it up" part that may be questionable...

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm just considering it fixing a brake fluid leak that occurred after I removed the parking brake components. :)

Alan Cross

My build blog

2017 SARRC SM Champion

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm just considering it fixing a brake fluid leak that occurred after I removed the parking brake components. :)

Not trying to be harsh, but that ^ thought process is what got production car rules to where they are today. There is also a Spec Miata rule about fixing to the Mazda FWS standards. Have you ever heard of the slippery slope of rules? There is a reason why there are somewhere between 2 & 3,000 Spec Miatas today with Spec Miata being the class with the MOST event entries of all the twenty some classes. :o

Sphinx

Sphinx

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
How much time should this little project take? I've never taken a caliper apart before. I've got a pair of new ones in the garage ready to go on.

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
As a follow up reminder, This year we have had several DNFs due to slide pin failure. Im now convinced that the pin fails after backing out and the driver hitting the gators. Solution red locktight the pin in place and let it cure BEFORE racing. Since doing this the pins have stopped loostening. Before I was tightening after evert session! And yes they were new calipers.

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users