TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
I've come up with a source for pump gas without ethanol. Is there any benefit to paying a little extra for this?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
no
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Chris Windsor

Chris Windsor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:WDC
Yes,
It will run cooler- the alcohol burns hotter
It will hold it's octane longer
It will not absorbs water from the air like E10

The Gov is trying to mandate E15, that will be worse yet
SM5, SM, SSM builds
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
While Chris is correct. The E10 will make more power and is GCR compliant. E15 would put you on the edge of compliant and you would go over if the fuel took on any moisture.

Tune your car to what you run and don't let gas just sit in your car and you will be fine wither way.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

TEAM MEDICARE

TEAM MEDICARE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Glen
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:66
Hey guys

Thanks for the response. I seem to remember this discussion in the past but my search didn't bring anything up. My thinking is that gasoline has more BTUs then alcohol. This would seem to equal more power. Am I missing something here?

If anyone's interested my source is a local marina. It seems they have a special permit to sell straight gas as the ethanol is really causing problems with marine engines.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88

Hey guys

My thinking is that gasoline has more BTUs then alcohol. This would seem to equal more power. Am I missing something here?

You're not trying to generate the most heat (BTUs). The heat is just a byproduct of the explosion that causes a rapid of expansion of gas and pushes the piston. Pushing the piston = mechanical power.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

You're not trying to generate the most heat (BTUs). The heat is just a byproduct of the explosion that causes a rapid of expansion of gas and pushes the piston. Pushing the piston = mechanical power.

that makes sense, because scientifically ( when thinking BTU's) the ethanol argument holds no water. But I have seen slightly better numbers on well tuned e10 cars compared to properly tuned zero ethanol pump gas as well. I have always attributed it to other ingredients in the gas as ethanol just didn't make sense to me, but maybe Keith is right. The E10 gas does kill fuel pumps in the 99's.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Heat is wasted work... there is more to it than just BTUs...... ETOH has something else in it that is useful. With unlimited air, the highest specific energy content gas would give you the most power.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

davecarama

davecarama

Instructor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Region:Mid-Atlantic
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:63
I know when I was doing HPDE track days with the Mazda Club of Washington a few years ago, the FD (3rd Gen) RX7s were having serious issues with the Ethanol fuel. The heat was causing the apex seals to fail. One weekend went through about 5+ cars/motors. Luckily those guys always trailered to the track. But that has nothing to do with this section on SM racing does it Posted Image Lets see if I can make them connect...

I think that gas is somewhat of a lubricant on it's own. Ethanol, or alchohol, doesn't really have that same slippery feeling... and in fact can clean off that lube?

Dunno, I am not a scientist / engineer / or sleep in a holiday inn express, but I would imagine that not only would your explosion be cooler, but the friction of the motor might be less and your oil changes might last longer.

What do you think? Maybe?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2]

What do you think? Maybe?

I think that as of the this morning I have 129 dyno pulls on my '99 cars and I know what recipe my car likes.
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94
In order to get the most from each fuel, you will likely need to change ignition timing and fuel pressure. You can drive yourself (and your helper) nuts doing this for very little difference. Then you'll have to repeat the test again just to be sure you can trust the result. I agree e10 just slightly better. There is more to be gained or lost IMO by knowing in advance what to do if the temperature on race day is warmer or colder than average.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

GregA

GregA

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:WDC
Here's some science for the discussion.

Attached Files

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

I think that as of the this morning I have 129 dyno pulls on my '99 cars and I know what recipe my car likes.

50-60 pulls here; does that mean I was twice as lucky or efficient??? :D

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA