• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Please let us know what you think...

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
SPEC MIATA
The CRB requests member input on whether or not the use of .25 mm(.010 in) over size pistons in all SM engines should be
permitted. The Spec Miata advisory committee asks that members take into account the following in addressing this question:
• The cost of new crate motors is approaching $3500. Many used blocks are too worn to be suitable candidates for
proper SM engines. The SMAC has decided to explore the possibility of allowing 0.25 mm (0.010 inch) over bores.
The intent is solely to contain costs. While sleeving blocks is allowed, few machine shops do it well and the costs to
do it properly are substantial.
• Over bore pistons and rings are readily available from Mazda and the cost is the same or less than standard. The
basic engine rules would not change in regard to OEM parts since only Mazda parts would be permitted.
• The performance gain is negligible. For a 1999 Miata making 128 HP, the gain from the over bore pistons would be
no more than 0.77 HP based on the added displacement.
• The purpose of permitting this over bore is not to create a performance enhancement nor as a parity adjustment
measure. However, the advisory committee is mindful that this may become the perceived "standard" and that many
competitors will feel that they "must" build to the new over bore allowance. To prevent this, cars using the over bore
allowance would be assessed a 15-20 pound weight penalty. That will assure that there will be no performance
advantage to using the over bore. But, a competitor with a running core motor will be able to build it without spending
$3500 for a crate motor and will not sacrifice any performance or build quality due to worn out bores.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
No brainer. Yes with no weight added. Too hard to regulate.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11

Agree, give the 1.8 .010 and the 1.6 should get .030. That should work for equality.
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35
For those of us who run a steady program between SCCA and NASA, we already are working harder each weekend to come into compliance between the two groups. My question would be, would I be DQ ed in NASA for doing so. As far as the logic of the rule, if its truly .77 hp I can live with that.

My only other comment is my last crate motor cost me 3,000 deliverd September 2010. I hope it has not jumped up 500.00

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

DionJ

DionJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:68
Yes bore, no weight penalty....
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Johnny D beat you to it with this thread from yesterday...

http://mazdaracers.c...686

Most of the budget guys aren't going to have programs where they can exploit that extra bit of displacement. As far as NASA and the changes, I'd bet they adopt them as well. If you really want to talk about helping budget racers other things like allowing OEM spec non Mazda parts and Snug Tops could help some folks. Good to see the CRB take this under consideration.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

No brainer. Yes but with weight penalty.

Does it make any sense to require a note in the logbook about their claimed bore?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
For everyone that is suggesting allowing overbore without a weight penalty, are you out of your f*ing minds?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Oh Boy. Here we go.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88

For everyone that is suggesting allowing overbore without a weight penalty, are you out of your f*ing minds?

yes. :wacko:

Do you think it will end up like the RP?
1.6 big bore.
1.8 mid bore.
99 little bore.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Car Number:22

So you think .01 overbore will make that much of a differnce? Or Do you think you could actually tech the overbore. If someone did the work how would you suggest we determine they needed weight? Pull the head? Are you posting the bond on that work for everyone you think is not carrying the additional weight?

I don't really care, but its just a matter of being practical.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

GregA

GregA

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:WDC

First thing I thought of. How would it be regulated...the honor system? :lol:

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Regulated the same way we handle anyone cheating with too much displacement now. If you get torn down, you'd better hope your measurements are within tolerance.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
A 10 thou bore is nothing. Let's say .77 hp. If you have it done just for performance sake, it's about US$800 if you do it send the block out and do the wrenching yourself with parts from the Zoom Zoom discount, about a grand if you have them do it all. For the sake of argument let's say $800. That's about a grand per hp for the mod. If guys want to spend that kind of dough for that small of a performance gain alone, let them. That 3/4 hp ain't why they are beating you. I'll take that grand and go get a good dyno tune from a pro shop or some seat time and tires or put it toward a pro head. A $1200 head is going to get you much more than 3/4 hp.

Lee Tilton

Lee Tilton

I wanna go faster!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Region:WDC - NASA Mid-Atl
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:04
+1 for overbore, no weight penalty. I would be in favor of .030 for 1.6s, obviously.

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Car Year:1990
10 over is a very good idea, but can tech really detect it without a rip down. Will allow a little more compression, by Whistler, but not by measurement.

I have a sleeved motor with scored bores... can I go 10 over? :)

I think the weight penalty will be hard to enforce.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
I think a lot of 1.6 owners will automatically rebore, since they are carrying that extra weight anyway :P
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

ToddW

ToddW

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:67
Great idea on the bore. Do not add the weight.

Sam Barnett

Sam Barnett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15 posts
Great idea for cost savings to allow the slight overbore. Many junk blocks will suddenly become useful which is good for SM and good for the environment.

Astro

Astro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:Greatlakes
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:87
How can the rules continue to change after 10+ years of experience? I vote for freezing the rules. If there is something that makes one gen more competitive than the others then people will move to that model over time. Changing the rules every year gives the perception that some group is getting screwed and is driving people out of the SM community. Again, I vote "NO MORE CHANGES!"

P.S. 0.77 HP is a BIG DEAL.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users