Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
.77 is a BIG DEAL just like a hundredth of a second or one inch is a BIG DEAL. It could mean the difference between winning and losing. Weight penaly is needed. Front runners will overbore, and that just puts the rest of the field that much farther behind. It CAN be teched just as well as most of the rest of the rules we have, i.e. doesn't happen much, but it can be done.

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
I have a perfect block, except it needs a slight bore to clean it up. I vote yes, with no weight. And, .77 hp is almost unmeasurable, and certainly would not show up on the track. Mine might move from 118.1 to 118.87 damn, I love the power.

wheel

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
My comments from the other thread on the topic:

My initial reaction is > fudge No.

My reasons:

1. I can get a 1.6 for $500 off craigslist or a JDM importer (Atarco for example).
2. I have seen absolutely no evidence of lack of 1.6 motors or parts. Prove it if you can.
3. $3,500 for a crate motor ain't bad and I'm sure the quality is excellent. In my brief time in SM, I've seen and read of more than a few "PRO" motors blow up w/ not much use.
4. I suspect that building the motor would cost about as much as a crate motor. I remember reading ad nauseum on the old site about how building a motor was much more expensive than buying a crate.

If they want to make engine rules changes, they should switch to a spec sealed engine package like other spec series IMO. IT is a builder's class. SM is a Spec class.

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39

Alberto

I am missing the logic train on the argument you are putting forth. I don't see how any of your four bullet points affect the question at hand (allowing overboring)

A sealed Spec Miata engine is a completely different consideration, and one that I beleive we should seriously be considering before the cost of the arms war destroys the popularity of the class.

Just my $0.02

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
Most used engines will require out at 0.006 oversize hone just to get the bores straight. So the 0.010 overbore can be achieved by simply rough honing the extra 0.004. So there should be no additional charge from the machine shop for overbore, when doing a rebuild.

Standard vs +10 pistons and rings are available from Mazda at the same price.

So when rebuilding an engine, there will be no price difference. In the long run, this will be a cost savings, because many blocks are worn beyond the rebuild tolerances allowed. This will save money for the budget racer who does not want to search for a usable block from craiglist or a JDM importer or a junkyard (sorry, automotive recycler)

A no extra charge hone plus same price pistons plus same price rings = No Additonal cost. Versus Alberto's claim of $500 from craigsliest.

Yes, some people will exploit the 0.77 potential horsepower increase. But these are the same people who rebuild their engines twice a year. And buy tires everyweekend. And have data......etc, etc etc

I do not feel this is an issue of rules creep or a cost increase concern.

I am 100% in favor with no weight penalty.

Allowing the 1.6 to go 30 over is a totally seperate issue and is not currently being discussed, to my knowledge.

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Alberto...

I'll give the reasoning behind it if I can under each of your bullets.

My reasons:

1. I can get a 1.6 for $500 off craigslist or a JDM importer (Atarco for example).

What do you do when the bore on your supposed 30k Japanese engine or salvage or street car engine that you just bought for $500.00 is too large for a decent rebuild That is the case in 75% of all the 1.6 blocks over 100k. I would bet 95% are over 100k at this point, despite what they "say" they are. get a car fax and match vin plate on oil pan and see for yourself.

2. I have seen absolutely no evidence of lack of 1.6 motors or parts. Prove it if you can.

Ask most of the engine builders, I know we see as many Miatas, probably more than anyone in the country and rarely do we get 1.6 engines in less than 125k. The problem is not as bad i the 1.8 or 99's, but it is absolutely problem with the oldest cars that happen to be 1.6's

3. $3,500 for a crate motor ain't bad and I'm sure the quality is excellent. In my brief time in SM, I've seen and read of more than a few "PRO" motors blow up w/ not much use.

Do a little research on crate motors, you will find many of them blow up as well. All these engines can and will blow up, we stress the heck out of them. More often than not it is a tuning or assembly issue.

4. I suspect that building the motor would cost about as much as a crate motor. I remember reading ad nauseum on the old site about how building a motor was much more expensive than buying a crate.

It is.

If they want to make engine rules changes, they should switch to a spec sealed engine package like other spec series IMO. IT is a builder's class. SM is a Spec class.

Sm is spec, not sealed. take a look at the SF thread on sealed engines from a month ago where one car had like 8-10 hp on the field and no one knew how or why. In a sealed engine class ( which the ship has long sailed in SM by the way) Those who prep cars will have the same advantage or more IMO. This has been discussed for years as well

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Lets not lose site of the thought process here. Potential cost savings for the majority who join this class and the ability to reuse a perfectly good block(not $3500 for a crate) that may have minor issues. Times are a little tight with smaller budgets all around...I'm all for any little things that have the potential to keep people involved.

Will some throw more money at another potential HP gain...of course. But I see the benefit far out weighing the downside. We have a great head on our car with a stock bottom end...when we are ready to have the bottom end worked on it will be great to know with almost 100% certainty that we wont have to spend the extra money to find another block assuming there are no holes in the side of ours :D

As for weight...just doesn't seem realistic to enforce.

For those opposed, how about this...since its no secret that a lot of the big dollars is being thrown at the NB cars, make this only legal for NA cars :o :o :P

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79

Lets not lose site of the thought process here. Potential cost savings for the majority who join this class and the ability to reuse a perfectly good block(not $3500 for a crate) that may have minor issues. Times are a little tight with smaller budgets all around...I'm all for any little things that have the potential to keep people involved.

Will some throw more money at another potential HP gain...of course. But I see the benefit far out weighing the downside. We have a great head on our car with a stock bottom end...when we are ready to have the bottom end worked on it will be great to know with almost 100% certainty that we wont have to spend the extra money to find another block assuming there are no holes in the side of ours :D

As for weight...just doesn't seem realistic to enforce.

For those opposed, how about this...since its no secret that a lot of the big dollars is being thrown at the NB cars, make this only legal for NA cars :o :o :P

Not a chance :)

Pat

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Whats the big deal? My engine builder just sent me one of these! There was no shortage as far as I can tell.

K. Webb