Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Tell us how you did that so we can avoid it.

#4 grenaded. Oil ran up trans and caught shifter boot on fire.

So...Don't use a junk yard engine that you don't know how many miles on it, just stick it in and run the piss out of it.
Or change your engine all the time
Or it falls under the category of "shit happens" and have a fire suppression system.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990
I'm signed up for Group 17 (Sat and Sun only).

I just returned from TFB. I got a "surprise" when I was there and almost thought I wasn't going to be able to make the race....

I went to Tim's shop to get the car re-aligned and re-corner balanced after replacing the front subframe and pax upper and lower control arms from my off at Thill in July. Apparently I bent the frickin spindle and lower ball joint too! I didn't know you could bend those parts or I would have replaced them when I had it all apart...

Thankfully Tim had the parts so he was able to fix it.

Stopped at AIM too. Ron is looking healthy and back at work. :D

Hopefully JohnnyD won't forget the charcoal that was packed under the hood again for the BBQ. That's how the fire really started. :lol:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Sat is group 7, Sun is 17.

Good to hear, Kind of :blink: , at least you got it fixxed.

Hopefully, fingers crossed.
I had bits of charcoal falling out for weeks, the bag must of broke, finding them on the trailer, but they looked like metal from the engine block. :unsure:
J~
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Who won practice? What sort of times are the fast guys turning?

I hope to make it up to the track for qualifying...

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
You can win practice? Is there a trophy?

Where is the shit-eating-grin smiley.... :D

Can't wait to get there tomorrow. Hard concentrating on work when I know something more fun is happening.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
Oregon guys were top 5 in practice with a fast lap of 1:56.6

Top 10 Qualifying...

Sutherland...Oregon 1:57.14
Loustaunau...SFR
Schrader...O
Linse...O
Ramundo...SFR
Wilson...O
McCananey...SFR
Holifield...SFR
Rawlings...O
Gayman...SFR 1:57.9

Doing this from memory...hope its accurate. Sorry if I butchered any spelling!

Less than .8 seconds separation. And almost all of the next 10 are podium finishers...going to be a crazy one! Good luck everyone :D

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Great race today, guys! I had an excellent battle for the first two laps with Bruce Wilson, then trailed Doug and Will for several laps and eventually battled my way up to the bumpers of Rick and Ken. It was great seeing all of you SCCA-only guys, NorCal and Oregon alike.

My video:

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Number:22
great racing guys. B)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

#4 grenaded. Oil ran up trans and caught shifter boot on fire.

So...Don't use a junk yard engine that you don't know how many miles on it, just stick it in and run the piss out of it.
Or change your engine all the time
Or it falls under the category of "shit happens" and have a fire suppression system.
J~

I was driving Ray Meister's #38 car in the Group 7 race and nearly had the same thing happen. Lost the (street, of unknown vintage) motor heading towards 11. Two large holes in the block and a connecting rod plus bits of piston sitting in the undertray! It resulted in apparently a very large fireball and a whole lot of smoke... it didn't take long for me to get out of the car but I did forget to pull the fire system. Thankfully the fire flamed out pretty much right away and no additional damage caused.

Shout out to Ron Alan and Duane Polsley for helping locate a spare 1.8 and helping put it in the car. Started up on the first try and Ray was able to get all three sessions in today!

Nice to see everyone... but it killed me not to have my car here. Next year!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Great to see a few first class drivers/guys come back out to join in the races this weekend. Ramundo, McCananey, Thomas and Ghidinelli represented SFR big time. Along with the regular young guns they managed to keep the Oregon boys honest by taking 2,3,4,5,7th places today!

Congrats to Kyle L, Phillip H, and Kyle G for running solid all weekend against the best of our Northern brothers.

Ken Sutherland...I speak for myself and many others...HATS OFF TO YOU! Mad skills B)

Will post up our video soon...like before if someone wants to start a thread in the video section titled "Infineon" that would be great. Dean??

Ron

RAmotorsports

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
Done.

Video thread

FWIW - my video is already posted three posts up from yours, Ron. :)

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Oh I watched yours as soon as you posted :D Posting outside our regional thread gets more attention! B)

Ron

RAmotorsports

D Biggar

D Biggar

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:33
Hey guys, glad to be back at the track! Great racing in 5 (w/ April) & 15 (w/ the stupid E30)...I guess I had some good racing in 7 before the overheating. I wish I could have run 17 and qual for 15 but the early Sunday morning weather shift called.

Special thanks to Phil Holifield for helping me sort out the heating issues. Congrats to all the winners! I'll post some of my video later when I get back from work.
-David Biggar
david.biggar(at)gmail.com

Meteorologist

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
That was a lot of fun, but not without the typical drama that is experienced with a bunch of high expectations in all camps. Despite my poor performance mostly due to not being able to shift under high g-loads in both races (I know how, but just needed more time), I had a all out blast. It was great seeing all our old friends and and racing with everyone.

Dean, that was huge fun!!! I was not planning to go side-by-side much longer and was probably signalling my intents when I hit second gear in t5.

We must make this race the Western national championship. Or maybe we go for a neutral track like Miller. You know, Ken doesn't always win :D

Looking forward to next year... You all need to make a trip to Portland, otherwise, we'll just claim we have the best drivers ;). While this year was the wettest year in recorded history, we normally don't have that many rain races!

Thanks for all the hospitalily. I'm looking foward to next year's race already!

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12
Thanks to the Oregon drivers for making the trek down - we enjoy having you and appreciate that you're willing to tow to our races. If you could take a position other than first, that would make it perfect. :)
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ray Meister

Ray Meister

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:38

Shout out to Ron Alan and Duane Polsley for helping locate a spare 1.8 and helping put it in the car. Started up on the first try and Ray was able to get all three sessions in today!

Yes, thanks to all (Ron, Brian, the Holifield crew, Juan, Ron & Matt Cross, Off-Camber Racing, Mike Haag and anyone else I'm forgetting) who helped get me back on track for Sunday - but special thanks to Dewey, your efforts were really way beyond the call of friendship!

I'd also like to thank Brian for spending 4 days working with me to really up my game on a number of levels.

Ray
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
Tough breaks this weekend, Ray. I look forward to seeing you at the next race.

Ray Meister

Ray Meister

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Car Year:1994
  • Car Number:38

Tough breaks this weekend, Ray. I look forward to seeing you at the next race.

Thanks Alberto. Look forward to racing with you at the next one.

Ray
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
Race reports, videos, a rant about SFR's wonderful race control on Sunday, and more here:

http://www.trackhq.c...ce-report-4286/
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Race reports, videos, a rant about SFR's wonderful race control on Sunday, and more here:

http://www.trackhq.c...ce-report-4286/

So what are your David Letterman top 5 or so.
J~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users