Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44
Last I heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, but SFR worked a deal with either Toyo or a dealer to put together a contegency program to run the Toyo's next year.

I too am kinda on the fence about tires for next year. I know what I'd like, but not sure if that's what everyone wants. Obviously, if we elected to go to the hoosier's, it's not going to help the guys who head south to compete.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
AIM does Toyo trackside support for us. And not just Toyo.
Ron is a great guy, gives advice too.
What shave you want? 1 2 3 4/32, wets call ahead, TD's black, silver (trackside).
Shave your wet, fine. Pick from the bone yard if your on a budget.
Not sure it's a deal, I think it's him giving out the $$$.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Last I heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, but SFR worked a deal with either Toyo or a dealer to put together a contegency program to run the Toyo's next year.

I too am kinda on the fence about tires for next year. I know what I'd like, but not sure if that's what everyone wants. Obviously, if we elected to go to the hoosier's, it's not going to help the guys who head south to compete.

We have had the contingency money for the last 2 years(at least). No reason it wont continue for 2012 if the region stays with the tire. AIM may have been instrumental in originally getting Toyo to offer this but it is paid out by Toyo as this is where you send in all your info if you place in the first 5 (which pays out)and is sent back to you as "Toyo Bucks". These can be used at any Toyo dealer.

FYI...to you Northern boys who came down and muscled in on SFR prize money this year :shame: :lol: You have 120 days to send in your results and I think 90 days to spend them. Of course since you guys will be running Hoosiers soon and these will be useless I will gladly take them off your hands...50% of face value? :scratchchin:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94

FYI...to you Northern boys who came down and muscled in on SFR prize money this year :shame: :lol: You have 120 days to send in your results and I think 90 days to spend them. Of course since you guys will be running Hoosiers soon and these will be useless I will gladly take them off your hands...50% of face value? :scratchchin:

Usless? You guys went with Toyo's so I'll use it to come back next year! :thumbsup:
Already sent in the the paper work, thanks for the reminder though! :)

For the guy's running up front tire's are everything. You can't win with a tire that doesn't have the correct tread depth/heat cycles for the track you are at. I watch our friends down south burn thier cars down on a test day trying to get a new set of the toyo's to the correct number of heat cycles or "make them old". I just don't see how staying with Toyo's helps anyone. The front guys are wearing their cars out trying to make them fast and everone else is running on less than optimum because they don't know the difference, or can't afford the test day. I guess there is the hope that that one day they'll come in for them. I've done that game for a long time and know how to make it work but it sure would be nice to be able to put on a set of tires and go.

Btw, the decision in SFR had more to do with Ron/AIM than anything else. We don't have Ron/AIM.

Portland is a different deal. The fast guy's bolt on sticker Toyo's if they want to go fast. Some sell them off with 4-5 heat cycles!? Who wins on that deal? The guy that paid $700 for 4 sessions get's $300 toward his new set and the sucker that paid $300 get's a set of tires that are a second off the pace.

I think the real question is the speed drop-off on the Hoosier. Something we won't know until we try them for ourselves. I don't know that the Hosier will be better but I can't imagine it could be much worse when you add the pro's and con's.

I think we run them side by side for a year and everyone can see for themselves. We can always vote them out in '13 if it's not best for the class.
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44

Usless? You guys went with Toyo's so I'll use it to come back next year! :thumbsup:

For the guy's running up front tire's are everything. You can't win with a tire that doesn't have the correct tread depth/heat cycles for the track you are at. I watch our friends down south burn thier cars down on a test day trying to get a new set of the toyo's to the correct number of heat cycles or "make them old". I just don't see how staying with Toyo's helps anyone. The front guys are wearing their cars out trying to make them fast and everone else is running on less than optimum because they don't know the difference, or can't afford the test day. I guess there is the hope that that one day they'll come in for them. I've done that game for a long time and know how to make it work but it sure would be nice to be able to put on a set of tires and go.

Btw, the decision in SFR had more to do with Ron/AIM than anything else. We don't have Ron/AIM.

Portland is a different deal. The fast guy's bolt on sticker Toyo's if they want to go fast. Some sell them off with 4-5 heat cycles!? Who wins on that deal? The guy that paid $700 for 4 sessions get's $300 toward his new set and the sucker that paid $300 get's a set of tires that are a second off the pace.

I think the real question is the speed drop-off on the Hoosier. Something we won't know until we try them for ourselves. I don't know that the Hosier will be better but I can't imagine it could be much worse when you add the pro's and con's.

I think we run them side by side for a year and everyone can see for themselves. We can always vote them out in '13 if it's not best for the class.

I agree on running both all year next year, as that way people can work into it (example: Buying hoosiers but sticking with the RA-1 rains until they get money to buy the hoosier rains) and vice versa.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Number:68
All about the Gription, by KS :D All true as stated. If anything good comes out of another tire switch, I'm thinking it will be to the advantage of the newbies and mid packers!

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Can't blame a guy for trying :bigsquaregrin:

Sounds like you have the perfect scenario Ken...race on your stickers at PIR then put them away until you come south...they'll be perfect for your next weekend here! You don't need to run hoosiers to keep up :yep:

BTW...other than Bruce you guys have been awful silent after coming down and taking it to us. What's up with that? Always love video if any of you want to post up :thumbsup: Unless you all have something to hide :hugegrin: :cheers: Teasing!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

IMO, I don't think that was the case.
I think Ron would support us on either tire.
He did mention he would be making money off of Toyo but hardly any for Hoosiers, just mounting and balance, etc.

If you haven't read some of our thread we just listed the pros and cons and didn't have much to gain and maybe more to loose to go to Hoosies. And we can always switch.

I'm sure Brian's already doing the combo but lets list some.

Stay with RA1's
The guys that want Hoosiers will still run with us.
Alberto and company will be happy. Budget guys
NASA crossover guys will race with us. I counted 12 guys

Go to Hoosiers.
Hoosiers guys are happy. All set for National if they want.
Need rains that you wouldn't really use.
They can run ITA/ITS without tire changes
Alberto?? go to NASA and stay or just until he needs new tires and then he gets Hoosiers
Only run ITA.
Or just complain and then go buy a set.
NASA guys? Will they run but only ITA/S or not at all.
Complain but get a set.
Look for somebody that rents a set for the weekend?

Run RA1's a few races and cross.
Run both tires.

Tough call.
J~

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Car Number:68

BTW...other than Bruce you guys have been awful silent after coming down and taking it to us. What's up with that? Always love video if any of you want to post up :thumbsup: Unless you all have something to hide :hugegrin: :cheers: Teasing!

We're all just pissed off about letting Ken win twice ;) You guys need to come up North and represent or... You know :D

-bw

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

IMO, I don't think that was the case.
I think Ron would support us on either tire.
He did mention he would be making money off of Toyo but hardly any for Hoosiers, just mounting and balance, etc.

Ok :)

If you haven't read some of our thread we just listed the pros and cons and didn't have much to gain and maybe more to loose to go to Hoosies. And we can always switch.

Funny, I didn't see "burn your car down on the test day" on that list. :)

I haven't run video for five years because I got tired of the frustration of the bateries, tapes, etc. Maybe it's time to buy a modern camera....
Ken Sutherland
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Funny, I didn't see "burn your car down on the test day" on that list. :)

I haven't run video for five years because I got tired of the frustration of the bateries, tapes, etc. Maybe it's time to buy a modern camera....

That was last year in the Sat race. Brian G did it this year. Both with engines with unknown miles.
We are determined to figure out how those Eval Toyo tires made our engines blow. :P

Also +1, video is a PITA but in Sat race I was punted in 11. Sun the guy qual in front of me but punted another guy in 11 and end up behind me. I went off in 10 and lived. My stupid camera turned off early since the delay in the race, so I didn't get to see me go off or him help me off. Also it's good to defend yourself from a corner worker that's positive they saw what they saw. But you know this already.
But it also good for entertainment as well.

Good luck on your tire choice, YMMV from our choice.
J~

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
Is it me that is clueless or Johnny? Ken...is your comment in regards to burning off tires to get them ready :scratchchin:

I will say the gopro can't be any easier. Even an old guy like me can figure it out. Great tool for learning, and the occasional evidence...but most important great entertainment!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts

Is it me that is clueless or Johnny? Ken...is your comment in regards to burning off tires to get them ready :scratchchin:

I will say the gopro can't be any easier. Even an old guy like me can figure it out. Great tool for learning, and the occasional evidence...but most important great entertainment!

I assumed he was talking about my video, but yes what does that have to do with tire.
It was the weekend, maybe a few too many? :guinness: :tipsy:
J~

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Ken...is your comment in regards to burning off tires to get them ready :scratchchin:

Yes. If you're going to list pro's and con's for Toyo vs Hoosier I would think waisting an entire test day trying to get a new set of the Toyo's to "come in" would be pretty far up on the list of con's. :scratchchin:

The good thing is the price of the cameras have come down a lot. If I get mad and throw it on the ground because the the battery ran out the lap before the big "whatever I wanted to see" for the 3rd time and a row, I'll only be out $300. :)
Ken Sutherland

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
Oh, got it.
If you want to make the case, make the list.

I thought you only needed one heat cycle and then wait 24 to 48 ?
J~

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
So back to when a vote will be done. Let's git r done! I've got a door to replace and quarter panel to fix. Good time to change paint schemes but I first need to know how many sets of tires I have to buy this winter.

Posted Image
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Number:3
Randy,

Is the the graphic representation of "Oops!"?

You should here my video of Friday before last's second spin where I said "Gx/ Damxxx" and then signed loudly! My kids and wife were rolling on the floor!

Terrell

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Number:3
I guess I could spell "hear" correctly. After all, I am an eddicated man.

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Number:51

Randy,

Is the the graphic representation of "Oops!"?

You should here my video of Friday before last's second spin where I said "Gx/ Damxxx" and then signed loudly! My kids and wife were rolling on the floor!

Terrell

Yep, that's the data exported from RaceStudio to Google Earth. Google's map of PIR does not line up exactly right, I didn't go as deep into the tire wall as the plot suggests. The whole plot should be shifted up and left slightly. Never slowed below 30 MPH the whole time and kept it going.

Yeah, I saw your video and hered your cursing. Pretty funny stuff.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
Maybe I missed it being up in Seattle, but what is the final verdict regarding Oregon Region tires?? Read through all 6 pages and can't find the final decision. Hoping to do more SCCA racing this year. Got a set of H2O's on hold at AandT

Bill-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users