Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Region:West Coast
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22
My info from Stephanie/Ron Cortez was brain swelling, collapsed lung, and is currently sedated. From both sources they are close and don't sound good. Hope Doc can pull through, he was doing awesome on Sunday by the way!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts
  • Region:SFR
  • Car Year:1990

Wow, thoughts and prayers go out to Dave...

+1
Scary stuff.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
What type of seat was Dave in? A containment seat?
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
No full containment seat for Dave. I believe he had a center net and a defender though.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Scary stuff indeed. Wishing you a speedy recovery, Dave!

Was the seat fiberglass or Aluminum Kirkey type? Did anyone have a chance to look at the car after? Understanding is helpful for future decisions.

Dave was on a tear last weekend. He started P2!

-Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Greg Cicatelli

Greg Cicatelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:96
It was a fiberglass Recaro, but no full containment. Yes, I saw the car and honestly have a hard time explaining how bad it is. Tub is completely twisted from the transmission tunnel through to truck. Rear driver wheel/axle & door took the biggest impact. Cage was solid and intact before jaws of life. Heard he is scheduled to come out of induced coma today. Keep him in your thoughts... going to be a tough recovery.

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
Good that his cage held. I guess the next question is what he hit his head on. Cage, high density padded cage, or *gulp* concrete.

Times like this I am jealous of the e30 guys and their cavernous cockpits :(.

Best of luck today Dave.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Juan Pineda

Juan Pineda

You can sleep in your car, but you can't race your house.

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:34
Greg, Thanks for the info. Could you tell if the seat was still secure, or whether it had come loose? Or if it had shifted due to floor pan deformation? -Juan

CheckerLap.com -- Your race results!

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Greg Cicatelli

Greg Cicatelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Car Number:96

Greg, Thanks for the info. Could you tell if the seat was still secure, or whether it had come loose? Or if it had shifted due to floor pan deformation? -Juan

Seat was secure, thankfully.

Viet-Tam Luu

Viet-Tam Luu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Region:San Francisco Region
  • Car Number:10 ITS
Thanks Greg & others for the update(s). I'm reloading this page hourly and keeping my fingers crossed for Dave...

As is usual with these types of incidents I appreciate people sharing information & first-hand observations, and refraining from speculation, etc.
Viet-Tam Luu
Director, SCCA San Francisco Region
1999 Miata #10 ITS

2003 Evo 8 #12 STU
2011 SFR-SCCA ITS Champion

Charlie Hayes

Charlie Hayes

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
Great to hear about his progress. Best of luck Dave!!!!

Phillip Holifield

Phillip Holifield

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Car Number:20
Our thoughts are with you Dave.

Greg, Thanks for keeping us updated.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata

Nick Buchanan

Nick Buchanan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I too have video of this unfortunate event but will hold off from posting it until hearing from Dave.
Dave gave Mike Niemann a small bump from the rear coming into the corkscrew which made Niemann get loose. Dave backed off to avoid hitting Niemann and I drove to the right of both of them to get around the entire incident when Dave moved over very quickly into my front bumper which caused him to spin off to the right hand side.

Best of luck for a speedy recovery, Dave!

CARacer

CARacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Car Year:1991

3 races in a row at Laguna Seca where a car has hit an unprotected concrete wall hard...how :censored: expensive is it for junk tires?????

Anything to be done about this? Do we write to the board? Write to the track? What about other tracks?

Get well, Dave.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Gayman

Kyle Gayman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Number:40
Thanks for the compliments, guys. But it's hard to be excited about finishing well when a fellow racer gets injured like this. :( Thinking about you, Dave.

And Greg, I know what you mean about not being able to describe it. I didn't see the car after it got towed in, but I saw it twice while doing caution laps. It was, at best, mangled.

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
A thread has been started for Dave and his condition. Thanks to all for checking and posting to that thread. :prayer:

http://mazdaracers.c...t=0

It's hard to think about the weekend beyond this but we did finish and I'll try and keep us going.

Kudos to Phillip for another rock solid weekend laying down consistent laps. After that you could throw a blanket over the next 6 or 8 guys and it was anyone's to take. Tough to pass and then make a pass stick. Mike N again brought his Laguna A game with 2 SSM wins. But Dave was right there in both races :thumbsup:

Who said qualifying is important? :yep: Nice job Kyle keeping pace with Phillip and gaping the field as the next 8 guys battled it out :wave2:

With the short weekend format I thought it all ran smooth(other than the fog delay). The best lap format for the 2nd race qualifying seemed to work out just fine. Only downside was for the stewards having to sort out all the bad behavior :nonono: for group7/17. What do you say we try and clean it up for the final weekend :cheers:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alberto

Alberto

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Only downside was for the stewards having to sort out all the bad behavior :nonono: for group7/17. What do you say we try and clean it up for the final weekend :cheers:

:thumbsup:

dp35

dp35

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Region:SF
  • Car Number:51
Congrats to Kimi Gaymanen for career best 2nd place finish. Look out Phil Hill-ifield!

KG - since you don't know who Kimi is (proves you are him), here's a clue:

Posted Image
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Kyle Gayman

Kyle Gayman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Car Number:40
Haha!! Oh boy, I'm never going to lose that stigma. But that's all right; considering he was making around 45-50 million a year, I'll take it as a compliment. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users