101 replies to this topic

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Year:1992
Now the all the Man-Drama has been cleared, has anyone had a chance to look at data points to see how each miata version compared. It looked like in qualifying that a 1.6 and a 1.8 were in the top 10!
Any and all facts (+observations) would be interesting to hear.

Thanks.

Joseph

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:79
There isn't even parity when it come to the some of the 99 cars

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Terry Clements

Terry Clements

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Region:Souhwest
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:6
96's need some help:-)

Terry Clements
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
No disrespect to anyone, BUT at Road America.

During the race had Drago run 13 laps at his qualifying speed his total time would have been 15.041 seconds quicker that Slattery had he run at his qualifying speed. :uhwhat: That was the best of the 99's & the best of the 1.6's. Some how that does'n add up to parity a for the 1.6 at Road America.

Someone look at their TrakMate data & see what position on the track Slattery would have been when Drago crossed the finish line. Bet I could have eaten half a brat & a couple gulps of beer by time Slattery got to the finish line had I started when Drago took the finish flag.

And from SCCA history a parity red flag is raised at the current Runoffs track. How come all the 1.6er's take this :chillpill: out?

JUST SAYING.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Number:79
131 - 133 is the HP number for some top 99's now. :blink:

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

Chris Windsor

Chris Windsor

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Region:WDC
And SCCA wonders why the car count was low?

They need to take a big look at how many non '99 cars there are and make a few more adjustments for parity...
SM5, SM, SSM builds
Support, sales, repair or rental
windsorcustoms.com

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

There isn't even parity when it come to the some of the 99 cars

This I would agree with and I think the same could be said for 1.8 and the 1.6. At the NASA National event there were some very fast (straight line speed) 1.6's, more than I think we typically see at SCCA events. Right now I think the SCCA rules still create some track specific advantages for one car over another. No doubt the "arms race" continues with motor and tuning development. If you stand still from one year to the next you're taking a step backwards. We pushed our car (1.8) forward this year spending ridiculous amounts of time at the dyno and the car was more competitive at longer tracks and the 35 pound SCCA weight reduction from last year was helpful. Road America really stretches the car so any difference gets magnified. Handicapping the 1.6 to 1.8 or the 1.8 to '99 is not all that difficult IMO but handicapping all 3 is more challenging given the disparity in engines and chassis.

Honestly this past Saturday I felt we could race with the top '99's as long as there was some traffic and a draft and our setup was right. There were parts of the track where the lighter car was a little quicker than the '99's but I didn't spend much time around the 44, 2 or 73 during the week so I might be mistaken and incidents in the race eliminated the opportunity.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:6

96's need some help:-)

Terry Clements

I think you mean 1997's....

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

granracing

granracing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

They need to take a big look at how many non '99 cars there are and make a few more adjustments for parity...

I was speaking with a few SM drivers about this and a few of them made the comment that it can also be that many of the faster drivers happen to be driving '99s. Heck, the newer generation Miatas should be a better platform but you don't see those being driven (ecu?). So now we have the regional SM2 class which I suppose draws entries.
Dave Gran
Want to learn how to begin racing, tips on building / buying a racecar,
becoming a front-running drive, or get vehicle reviews
from a motorsports enthusiast perspective? Visit our free site:
GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

131 - 133 is the HP number for some top 99's now. :blink:

Are they really making that kind of HP now? the high mark was 128 to 130 on a good day. Wonder what the dyno numbers were from the top finishers?

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

William Keeling

William Keeling

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Houston Region
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:11
the ECUs of the 99 seem to be the most tuneable :)

open ECU and free intake before the TB for the 1.6 :)

William Keeling

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Personally I like the approach NASA took in 2011... B)
It may need some minor tweaking but the results speak for them self, in 2011 NASA trim the cars were really very close. :duck:
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Mueller...what am I gonna do with you? If I had Jim's car or Chip's car then yes your rules are very close!

Can you send me some of that Cali Kush your on? I need some! :bash:

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Andrew Charbonneau

Andrew Charbonneau

Royal P.I.T.A.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts
  • Region:83
  • Car Year:1967
  • Car Number:67
:rotfl:
Satire is primarily a literary genre or form, although in practice it can also be found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, vices, follies, abuses, and shortcomings are held up to ridicule, ideally with the intent of shaming individuals, and society itself, into improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, its greater purpose is often constructive social criticism, using wit as a weapon.
SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Mueller...what am I gonna do with you? If I had Jim's car or Chip's car then yes your rules are very close!

I should bet someone you'd be the first to take the bait. Good on ya lad. :cheers:

I said it need a tad tweaking, however you said it yourself: If you "had Jim's car or Chip's car" then NASA trim is close. How long until that level of performance is the norm? I don't believe the other builders are going to sit back & stop developing, do you?

Regardless, I've heard you & several others, I'm confident that when Jim "the punted" Drago and I get together we'll come up with something palatable. BUT, as I've been saying and as many others told me at Nationals (you know who you are), NASA has it pretty close.

Can you send me some of that Cali Kush your on? I need some! :bash:

HA! Ain't it available over the internet yet??
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

I should bet someone you'd be the first to take the bait. Good on ya lad. :cheers:

I said it need a tad tweaking, but you said it yourself, if you "had Jim's car or Chip's car then yes" NASAs rules are close. How long until that performance is the norm?

HA! Ain't it available over the internet yet??

lol it becomes the norm when the average 99 owner either Morphs into Drago or VanVunrst or well Elivan for that matter and ponies up some serious dough! So I dont see it comeing soon at least these economic times! Internet isnt that still owned and controlled by Gore? Oh thats right he is all about GREEN! lol I am california dreamin dude! I could even go for that Charb video he just posted! Far out!

K. Webb