East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
Pat
That is not accurate..
Once a 99/00 is tuned with Fp regulator and timing wheel and a 1.6 is tuned the best of it's ability.. An illegal ECU should gain both about the same, VERY LITTLE.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Parity 2011 Runoffs is the title of this post, correct.

I would be quite sure most of you have read posts on this site of the "power number" as being one of the factors used to show parity of the different Spec Lines. I question where this power number came from & what engineering value of this number can be certified. As individual words we understand the engineering definition of horsepower, torque, car weight.

horsepower + torque/2 = average number

weight of car/average number = power number

Or for a 1.6 the numbers are, if you believe the SCCA numbers.

123 hp + 105 torque/2 = 114 average number

weight of car 2275/average number 114 = power number 19.96

The 1999 power number is 20.00. WOW, that's four one hundredths of a pound difference, that must be parity.

That should be enough for now to get some conversation started.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dmathias

dmathias

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Region:GreatLakes
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:88

What attracted me to the class were regional events of 30 cars and national events with 60...everyone should be asking why that is changing...

Quote of the week!
The enemy of good is better.
Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:137

I would be quite sure most of you have read posts on this site of the "power number" as being one of the factors used to show parity of the different Spec Lines. I question where this power number came from & what engineering value of this number can be certified. As individual words we understand the engineering definition of horsepower, torque, car weight.

weight of car/average number = power number

Or for a 1.6 the numbers are, if you believe the SCCA numbers.

123 hp + 105 torque/2 = 114 average number

weight of car 2275/average number 114 = power number 19.96

The 1999 power number is 20.00. WOW, that's four one hundredths of a pound difference, that must be parity.

That should be enough for now to get some conversation started.

Why do I feel like I'm watching a electorial debate. #fuzzylogic

Though I like your numbers :)

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Andy Finke

Andy Finke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
My view from the sidelines...

I'm just a guy that is HEAVY into karting, and loves the SM class. I'm kicking around jumping in, and would likely do it 12-24 months from now.

I fully understand that there will never be full parity at the front, and that's where I'd intend to aim for. I also understand the level of driver and car development it takes to run up front. I've done it for myself and several others in karts, and know I'm not ready for any car faster than a Miata to learn it all in at SCCA.

The #1 biggest thing to help attract me and others like me is rule stability. No changes for 3 years would be AWESOME! Then I could buy a 'favorite' car to attempt to run up front, or save some cash and buy a '2nd tier' car. Either way it's up to me, and I know what I'm in for when I sign up.

I know that you have to write the rules to satisfy the group that shows up, but don't forget the group of us looking in. Karting has been down for the last couple years, and is coming back. Especially in the less expensive classes with bigger groups and a couple measures of parity!

You guys are in great shape to attract the next wave of fanatics. It seems you are doing a great job so far, even with the personal chaos that comes with any competitive class. Thanks.

Andy

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

From a purely physical point of view, it is meaningless. As an engineer, I wouldn't use mixed up units like that for any serious work.

On the other hand, as a quick&dirty approximation to what really matters, it might work pretty well. I don't know about trying to compare to 3 digits of precision though. That's probably asking a bit much. Once I get down to worrying about 1% or less...that's when I get serious. At that point, I make sure that everything is measured carefully, all the formulas are correct, I've taken into accound numerical and statistical issues, conduct an error analysis, etc.

But, we all know that its the area under the HP curve that matters. Ok, even that is arguable...because you can argue about which end of the curve matters more..which is track dependant.

At the bottom end of the power-band, the TQ number is very close to HP at that RPM (TQ * RPM/5252) = TQ * 5000/5252 = TQ * 0.95....give or take. The 5000 is obviously just an approximation of the max TQ RPM...but, the point is there is only a few percentage points difference between TQ and HP in that part of the band.

Given that, the formula is using a straight-line approximation for computing the average HP in the power-band....not unreasonable for a well-tuned engine....that's kinda the whole point---a FLAT TQ curve across the power band -> linear HP vs RPM curve. So, given these assumptions: the formula is approximating area under the horsepower-to-weight curve. That should be a very good predictor of STRAIGHT-LINE performance (drag race down the straight).

As I started with, if you are trying to compare to the sub-1% level...then this approximation isn't really good enough for engineering. The exact RPM of the TQ number makes a few percentage point difference. The exact shape of the HP-RPM curve matters, too. Straight line approximation won't get you to 0.5%. However, its a good first check before moving on to a more precise calculation.

Nevertheless, a rule-of-thumb like this can be quite useful even in an engineering sense...as long you understand the limitations of it.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Strongbad

Strongbad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Region:ATL
  • Car Year:1992

From a purely physical point of view, it is meaningless. As an engineer, I wouldn't use mixed up units like that for any serious work.

On the other hand, as a quick&dirty approximation to what really matters, it might work pretty well. I don't know about trying to compare to 3 digits of precision though. That's probably asking a bit much. Once I get down to worrying about 1% or less...that's when I get serious. At that point, I make sure that everything is measured carefully, all the formulas are correct, I've taken into accound numerical and statistical issues, conduct an error analysis, etc.

But, we all know that its the area under the HP curve that matters. Ok, even that is arguable...because you can argue about which end of the curve matters more..which is track dependant.

At the bottom end of the power-band, the TQ number is very close to HP at that RPM (TQ * RPM/5252) = TQ * 5000/5252 = TQ * 0.95....give or take. The 5000 is obviously just an approximation of the max TQ RPM...but, the point is there is only a few percentage points difference between TQ and HP in that part of the band.

Given that, the formula is using a straight-line approximation for computing the average HP in the power-band....not unreasonable for a well-tuned engine....that's kinda the whole point---a FLAT TQ curve across the power band -> linear HP vs RPM curve. So, given these assumptions: the formula is approximating area under the horsepower-to-weight curve. That should be a very good predictor of STRAIGHT-LINE performance (drag race down the straight).

As I started with, if you are trying to compare to the sub-1% level...then this approximation isn't really good enough for engineering. The exact RPM of the TQ number makes a few percentage point difference. The exact shape of the HP-RPM curve matters, too. Straight line approximation won't get you to 0.5%. However, its a good first check before moving on to a more precise calculation.

Nevertheless, a rule-of-thumb like this can be quite useful even in an engineering sense...as long you understand the limitations of it.

Does this mean my 1.6 is fast enough now?

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Number:137

Does this mean my 1.6 is fast enough now?

There is no such thing as fast enough.

I am reminded of an awful country song.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

James, I have asked, JD for that matter, and he advised me that it can't be done on a 1.6 atleast not any significant gains. It is a OBD0/1 and it can't be flashed. Are you telling me your 99 can't be flashed? Right now we have no ECU rule, period. They can't be teched, they pretty much admitted that in the Town Hall Meeting. So if a 99 can be tampered with and the 1.6 can't than who has the car that can gain the most thru the ECU?

If you can't tech it than lets open it to all cars to use whatever.

I agree, the early cars can't be flashed (that I know of); however, the ECUs can be modified.

I am not telling you that a 99 can't be flashed. I am saying it is not legal to do so. Just like it would also be so to modify a 1.6 ECU.

There is an ECU rule, like many other rules we have. I can't speak to whether they can be reasonably teched or not. Last year the SCCA ran my car on the dyno at the Runoffs to check for an illegal ECU. Probably not as easy to pop the cover and look at the 1.6 ECU board.

So you want to allow MOTECs, etc, and spend $$ more trying to get an optimized program for each track, weather, etc. because someone out there maybe getting a wee more hp more from an ECU cheat compared to the FP and timing allowances? Wouldn't that just add more ground between the have and have nots?

Personally I am ok with getting 95% or so of the gain legally. Nobody is beating me with 1/2 hp from an illegal ECU. (Lots of other reasons, but not 1/2 hp)

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA