KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91

...This year my teammate Neil O and I both gave up data for the year and have been using assmate. We were getting to into...

Just a word of caution.... bringing your assmate to Road Atlanta could get you in trouble with the local authorities!
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Roger Caddell

Roger Caddell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
I will agree with my friend Mr. Collins (just a little bit) in that Data is not "everything" but even if you are a new driver or don't have the time to work with it at the track, it is still a huge and valuable tool to look at when you do have the time.

I always try to help racers understand that Data Acquisition will allow them to determine what the vehicle is doing, when it is doing it and why it is doing it. Beyond that and even more importantly, is the driver reacting to what the vehicle is doing or is the driver creating the vehicle reaction? Re-read the prior sentence again... a lot of concept in a single sentence but this is the core of successful data analysis in my humble opinion and has suited me well for many years. This is critical to know so the correct changes can be made to improve performance.

A big part of how the above concept is put into action is that Speed and Laptimes are the “money channels”. With motorsports being a performance based activity these are the critical measures. However, all the rest of the available data is critical and there to show us why the speed and laptimes got better and provide more information on how to get faster yet. If you do not know “why” you went faster, “how” to continue to improve is just a guess.Let's talk more during the Data Webinar in a couple of weeks and go into how best to implement these ideas.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I agree Roger, I don't use data and video enough, especially at tracks I am "good" at. You get accustomed to doing things the same way. I know at Road America, I get lazy and dont look at my data or video as much as I should and then look when i get home and realize I was making small mistakes in the car that I was not catching on track. Also, In comparing my data,Berrys and Sandlins.. We ALL gained by looking at each others data.. rarely is the fastest guy of your group fastest everywhere. I also pick up a few tenths looking at others data.
Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Blake Thompson

Blake Thompson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:137

Next year I will go back to using Traqmate. Data is a valuable tool, but its not your only tool. Data can help you shorten the learning curve but only if you can drive consistently to begin with. I tell my customers all the time I will not let them buy anything to make the car faster until on a test day they can run 10 laps within 1 sec or less. Then we work on set up to see how much that gets us, THEN we start spending money!!!!

I bet that saves them a lot of money.. :unsure: That is very hard for most to do.

Jim

LOL no kidding. responsible business owners are a rare breed.

BTDTRacing, LLC - ISellMiataParts.com

"I'm not making any money doing this, I'm purely doing it out of ego." - Paul Tracy

2011 Midwestern Council Spec Miata series champion

2015 Winner, SM - Midwestern Council: A Legen-Dairy Enduro, Co-Driver Stephanie Andersen

2015 Winner, ITA - Midwestern Council, Blackhawk Formula Festival

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users