• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)

Hmmm, let's guess based on the history of ORP... SCCA will say they are going to race there but never will, so sign up for a conference race if you really want to turn some race laps! :fuming:

First Conference race there is *tentatively* scheduled for Aug 11 & 12.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
SCCA is working tentative dates at the Ridge as well, but we're hampered by needing to have the track blessed by the Club. I don't think the Ridge has set pricing yet, either.

Mike Colangelo

Mike Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Region:Cal Club (SoCal)
Guys, I see that ChumpCar has The Ridge on their schedule for Sep 2012.

So who's in? I know of a really cheap Mopar for sale. It even has a log book. ;-)

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:01
Sunday Dec. 11 saw the first real action on the track. Ken took the #94 up and he, Matt, and Todd Butler got some seat time. I put a recording GPS unit in the car, so gathered some data.

The track is 2.40 miles long. The front straight is 0.5 miles. As noted there is a lot of up and down. The low spot on the course is at T-1. You pick up 40' before T-4. Drop 10' through T-4 before climbing another 45' to the entrance of T-6, the Carousel. Back down hill 30' to T-8a. A 5' rise through T-8b before dropping 10' more going to T-9. There you climb 35' getting before getting to T-11. From there it is flat to T-13. Going through T-13 and T-14 you fall 50' while only traversing 300' of the track. That works out to a 16% grade. :o You loose the last 25' getting back to T-1, but that happens over 0.5 miles. So you gain and loose 125' each lap.

We also had a camera on the car, so video to follow.

Jim
  • Dudley likes this

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Just for comparison, what's the downhill grade from T2 to T3A at Pacific?

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51

Hmmm, let's guess based on the history of ORP... SCCA will say they are going to race there but never will, so sign up for a conference race if you really want to turn some race laps! :fuming:

Well NWR-SCCA does not seem to book a lot of races at PR. Not sure why. If it's because they can't find enough free weekends at PR they may be anxious to race at The Ridge.

Some of the issues between OR-SCCA and ORP are the fact that it's an overnight trip combined with the costs and logistics of transporting equipment to and from thereof. The Ridge may not pose the same type of problem for NWR-SCCA since it's not an overnight trip from the Puget Sound area. Why Conference is able to accomplish trips to ORP and not OR-SCCA I'm not really sure. Maybe it's because Conference is already used to racing at various venues and has the travel logistics figured out. If OR-SCCA ever does add an out-of-town track I hope it's ORP first. Not to slight The Ridge, it's just that an Oregon track should be priority for Oregon region IMHO.

Anyways, the Ridge is on my list as soon as either Conference or NWR-SCCA schedules an event there.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
The reason so few races at Pacific is pretty much two-fold. Because the track lost its SCCA certification (back when it was run by a non-owner), SCCA slipped to the back of the track's priority list. We're just getting to where we can get reasonable dates. But in the meantime the track has come back in demand, and is now charging big money for dates. The region doesn't have a lot of money, and we don't make much on a Pacific race -- the bottom line is that we fund Pacific races with races at Bremerton, and that track has its own problems.

Largely because of all that, NWR is VERY motivated to put on events at The Ridge, and there's some movement toward co-sanctioning with Oregon Region. More news will be coming, and expect a lot ot gel once the track is certified by SCCA National. Everyone involved is paddling beneath the water.

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Just for comparison, what's the downhill grade from T2 to T3A at Pacific?

Jim B. Immediate impression is that The Ridge is a lot steeper. But impressions can be deceiving, so off to Google Earth for data. It shows that PR drops 70' from T-2 to T-3a, but it takes around 800' doing it. That works out to 9%, still plenty steep!

The Ridge hill is reminding folks of the top of the Cork Screw at Mazda Laguna Seca. Sharp turn, then down hill. Google shows that this hill drops 50' in the same 300', so the comparison is valid! Big difference is that Laguna continues to drop another 50' before leveling out.

I need some hints on getting the video posted. I have my GoPro Hero HD files trimmed down to the on track parts, but still around 1.5GB.

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
Jim Graffy: PM sent.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Jim B. Immediate impression is that The Ridge is a lot steeper. But impressions can be deceiving, so off to Google Earth for data. It shows that PR drops 70' from T-2 to T-3a, but it takes around 800' doing it. That works out to 9%, still plenty steep!

The Ridge hill is reminding folks of the top of the Cork Screw at Mazda Laguna Seca. Sharp turn, then down hill. Google shows that this hill drops 50' in the same 300', so the comparison is valid! Big difference is that Laguna continues to drop another 50' before leveling out.

I need some hints on getting the video posted. I have my GoPro Hero HD files trimmed down to the on track parts, but still around 1.5GB.

Vimeo account!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
I'll second the vimeo account for downloading MP4 files.

Quite honestly regarding SCCA races, NWR loses money on just about every road race it schedules, whether it be at PR or Bremerton. The entry fees are higher than Conference and the grids smaller. I would suspect they will have the same issues at the Ridge once the novelty wears off unless a lot of Oregon SCCA racers consistently show up, which they should. I think unless Oregon and NWR get together to put on a championship season encompassing multiple tracks, co-sanctioning and working together, SCCA will continue to struggle for consistent entries and financial well being. I suspect the Oregon SCCA racers are a bit spoiled in having to just hop over to PIR to run their championship season. I know several do head south from time to time, but that is the cherry on top of the sundae. Those racers wishing to compete for a championship should be able to enjoy what the folks within Conference enjoy, and that is a multi track season. I think if Conference scheduled all their races at Pacific for instance, their would be mutiny in the ranks especially from those racers from Oregon.

Bill-

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94
I have been a proponent of combining NW and Or Regions for years. I used to think we should be splitting our races between Pacific and PIR and when ORP was built I thought it should be added to the list. (although I do understand why we haven't made it over there)

But now there's a new game in town and I think ORP just got knocked down a peg.

I don't mind traveling but it has to be for a first rate track. I don't have any interest in racing at Mission or Spokane so in my book Conference dosen't have much to offer. I guess if all my friends were in conference I'd be there too, but I started in SCCA and I think that's what makes the difference for most people. I believe the bigget factior in the size of fields is that Conference does a better job with new drivers. Once you're in a club that's where your friends are and you're more likely to stay.
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ken SM94

Ken SM94

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:94
When I saw the video of this track I have to say I wasn't too impressed. It looked too fast and flat to be a great Miata track.

I'm happy to report that It drives much different and it's fantastic! With 5 blind spots and at least 4 good passing spots it should be fun to race there too.

I can't wait!

By the way, the current lap record for an SM is a 2:05.5 on rain tires/partially damp. :P
Ken Sutherland
1976 4th Grade Bowling Series-Most Improved
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

When I saw the video of this track I have to say I wasn't too impressed. It looked too fast and flat to be a great Miata track.

I'm happy to report that It drives much different and it's fantastic! With 5 blind spots and at least 4 good passing spots it should be fun to race there too.

I can't wait!

By the way, the current lap record for an SM is a 2:05.5 on rain tires/partially damp. :P

And Ken, you wouldn't happen to know who owns this new unofficial SM lap record, would you? HA....

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
As promised, here are the videos we shot. Same car, three different drivers. I purposely didn't identify the drivers, partially to protect the guilty, but mostly so we can have some fun guessing! Apparently I can only have 1 video per post.

I also have a Google Earth kml file. This site won't accept it, so I'll post it on PDXRacer and NWR-race.

Jim

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Queue up Driver 2:

Jim

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
And last, but not least(?)

Jim

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
I'll take door # 2 for 2:05.5 Jim....nice driving Ken...I think I have it right. Is there a prize? Good job posting this up...any problem with me linking the 2nd video to another site Jim?? :P

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
I didn't try to count carefully, but I saw something over ten potential turn stations. Is this track going to be tough to staff?

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

I'll take door # 2 for 2:05.5 Jim....nice driving Ken...I think I have it right. Is there a prize? Good job posting this up...any problem with me linking the 2nd video to another site Jim?? :P

Bill -

No problem on sharing the post. I have already pushed out to the Oregon Region and NWR mail exploders. There is a 720p version of this session on Vimeo.

No comment on who is who yet.

The claimed 2:05.5 is not on any of the videos. Fast lap on the Driver 2 video was 2:10.655 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users