Photo

pro motors: where does the power come from?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

xczach

xczach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
I noticed that pro motors are now gaining 10+ hp on stock engines. My question is, outside of the machining of the block and cylinder head, what is done to increase the power in a legal way?

Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Region:33 - San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:40 ;-)
If you can get an engine builder to tell you that, i sure hope you do sales for a living!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
  • Car Year:1999
Maybe 10+ on a '99, but doubtful on a 1.6....A dyno tuned decent stock 1.6 with a good original head, a Springfield Dyno exhaust , flowed injectors and a SP Induction, should be able to make 118 or so corrected HP. Doubt that a pro build 1.6 will make much more than 125. If I am totally wrong about this, I would love to be corrected and pointed in the right direction. I know I am down on power a bit, but not as much as I had thought. It really is more about who's the pilot!

Bill-
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91
Well, legal is a funny word. Basically they will do anything that makes more power can't be proven during a teardown. That's what we call tech shed legal. No doubt part of it is picking a matched set of pistons, a matched set of con rods, and so on. Then anything that has a range will be right up against the extreme that makes the most power.

Finally, I believe Race Engineering (shameless sponsor plug) has a flowbench for flowing cylinder heads. They could buy a few dozen and find the ones that suck the least.
  • Glenn likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Finally, I believe Race Engineering (shameless sponsor plug) has a flowbench for flowing cylinder heads. They could buy a few dozen and find the ones that suck the least.

I thought they benched them to find the ones that suck the best.... :spin: :king: I'd bet RE isn't the only SM building with a flowbench. It's a pretty common piece of engine building equipment.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

I noticed that pro motors are now gaining 10+ hp on stock engines. My question is, outside of the machining of the block and cylinder head, what is done to increase the power in a legal way?

It comes from taking the undercoating off the bottom of your tub.... (sorry, bad joke from another thread)

Short answer, in addition to what the others have posted, are knowledge and attention to detail and working the spec to the last thousandth. They know what it takes to wring every little last bit out and still be legal. It takes a lot of work and experience and it's not likely anyone will share more than general info with someone they don't know.
  • Glenn likes this

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE
Its the smoke........when it leaks out they QUIT running.
  • James York likes this

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Would you rather have 118 HP or 125 HP? :scratchchin:
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29
There is nothing legal about pro built motors, lets all be clear about that. It is cheating without getting caught.

Permitted engine maintenance includes the replacement,

but not modification, of external engine and engine

systems parts. No balancing, blue printing, lightening,

polishing, or other modification of moving parts of the

engine is permitted. All parts in the engine must be stock

Mazda OEM parts unless specified in this rule set. For all

Mazda part numbers in these specifications, superseding

part numbers are considered equivalent.
You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

There is nothing legal about pro built motors, lets all be clear about that. It is cheating without getting caught.

You and the clown best buddies?

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Explain what exactly the builders are violating in your GCR qoute please? And you know this how?
  • Glenn likes this

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA