Photo

pro motors: where does the power come from?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

George Munson

George Munson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:27
I just wanted to comment on a few things.

First I've come from a series in karting where "Sealed Motors" were part of the deal. Bottom line with that is not all motors are created equal and no matter how hard you try some will always be faster than others. Besides the faster and richer drivers will just buy many engines to find one that is just better. Those are the facts. Besides the only way this would work is if "One" company was building the engines. Factor in the price to support such a program many of us would quit.

Second I support the current rule set in that a good engine builder can now make a toad into a prince for a fairly reasonable price. My last engine made great power and lasted 2 1/2 years. As some people have stated, you can do a rebuild on the bottom end, slap on a good head and have a power plant that has more power than most of us can use. :thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents,
George Munson
  • JBlaisdell and Danny Steyn like this

xczach

xczach

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20 posts
How much power can be gained on a 99 engine just by putting on a pro cylinder head?

MPR22

MPR22

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,138 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:22

How much power can be gained on a 99 engine just by putting on a pro cylinder head?

A decent amount. I did not dyno my engine before the Rossini head went on but it was one of the best cars in the division afterwords. Stock 78k bottom end, pro head. Cheap power compared to full blown pro-build. I highly recomend it as a starting point.
Shattering - For those who cant drink tequila NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Majors Winner - Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Block overbore did indeed require a new block, but that rule is being fixed. Dropping a valve usualy doesn't require an overbore, and only sometimes requires a replacement piston.

BTW, most power gain is in the head anyway.

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
gain from 99 crate/used engine ( usually 118/121 hp) to pro is about 8-10 Hp. These are 41 mm numbers, under 38, the gain will be a little less

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Andrew Warren

Andrew Warren

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51
I don't understand what the deal is with spending so much money on motors. I paid 200.00 for an engine i pulled out of a junkyard, it makes 112whp, and I can still run up front. I prefer to spend my money on track time and tires.
Andrew Warren #51 SM NNJR Build Blog From Start 2 Finish
Posted Image

Keith O

Keith O

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:PHL
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:60

I don't understand what the deal is with spending so much money on motors. I paid 200.00 for an engine i pulled out of a junkyard, it makes 112whp, and I can still run up front. I prefer to spend my money on track time and tires.

Yea, but you complain that they leave you on the straights, so the basis of the argument isnt rocket science.

Andrew Warren

Andrew Warren

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Region:NNJR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:51

Yea, but you complain that they leave you on the straights, so the basis of the argument isnt rocket science.

Touche Keith, Touche... until next season.
Andrew Warren #51 SM NNJR Build Blog From Start 2 Finish
Posted Image

suck fumes

suck fumes

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Region:Lonestar
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:75

you are mistaken James, the guys running up front at any race are spending so much money 2500 is a joke. So if you plan on running up front you will need a sealed motor, the guys running mid pack back the motor is not the problem and most of them have pro motors, the phase in will be for the true budget guys who may need the time to get one, but they will not be winning regardless of what motor they are running now.

Just FYI Mr. Whiner, I have a 2.5 yr old motor, I don't spend a fortune, i work on my own car and still won the national points overall this year. Point is, quit making assumptions and digging up old conversations that are annoying to see on this forum now. We've seen and heard it all.
2010, 2011 SM Sowdiv points champion!
2011 National points champion!

WWW.MOTORSPORTHEAVEN.COM

David L

David L

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Region:WDCR
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:29
Who's whining. I was replying to a topic started by someone other than myself.
You've been served - Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users