Photo

NASA has announced Toyo as official tire...now what?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?
Well, this is a new twist for those of us who run both NASA and SCCA.

http://www.nasaprora...inue-as-th.html

NASA has announced toyos as the tire for the spec series.

I'm hoping that since I run regionals and not nationals I can run toyos in both organizations.

But what if the hoosier is that much faster? Then what do I do? From what people were saying at the ARRC the toyo may work out better for my 1.6L car given the lower rotating mass, but I guess I won't know until I test.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
Yeah Vick, there have been a few threads, most multi paged. ;) According to Jeremy and John NASA is still in a current contract and SCCA had a contract up for renewal hence the switch. It's going to be a bummer for quite a few folks though regionally you lobby to have the supps changed but for nats, it's Hoosier for SCCA.

Dave

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Toyo Tires® Will Continue as the Official Tire of NASA Through 2015

Partnerships always work well!!! :whistling: Oh, wait the partnership is nasa & Toyo.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

svvs

svvs

do they sell spec training wheels yet?

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • Region:NYR
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:12?

Yeah Vick, there have been a few threads, most multi paged. ;) According to Jeremy and John NASA is still in a current contract and SCCA had a contract up for renewal hence the switch. It's going to be a bummer for quite a few folks though regionally you lobby to have the supps changed but for nats, it's Hoosier for SCCA.

Dave

yeah, I was hoping it was only going to be a one year dillemma......now it's going to be for a while.

Ohh well. won't know until next season whether or not I get smoked by other guys on hoosiers. In the NE pretty much all the regional guys ran Toyos (one of my friends ran kumhos), and if you were on hoosiers people looked at you sideways.

We'll see where it goes I guess.

Vick
www.volko.com
Black SM/SM2/"Slap Bracelet Throwback" #12 in the Northeast....if the car was made in the early 90's it should look like it.

1.6L forever!  Bring on your '99's and '01's!

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Donor - Made PayPal donation

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I may do some NASA as well, it probably means I will end up buying another two sets of wheels and a few sets of tires. While it isn't the best of scenarios, it isn't the end of the world either. I don't think I will end up buying more than one or possibly two sets of tires more than if the two organizations were on the same tires.

I think all hoped we would be on the same tires, but I don't think it will influence my decision to participate in both that much.

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41
Count me in the list of those who this WILL affect. Between the inability of my SCCA region to offer an affordable school, a complete lack of regional SCCA events in Texas, and now these tire differences for the next 4 years (at least)....not sure I'll run any SCCA events for a long time.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Count me in the list of those who this WILL affect. Between the inability of my SCCA region to offer an affordable school, a complete lack of regional SCCA events in Texas, and now these tire differences for the next 4 years (at least)....not sure I'll run any SCCA events for a long time.

I think all the events next year in our division are regionals, or "rationals" (R/N combined) with the exception of the March N/N at TWS.

There will be plenty of regional events for you to attend if you choose.

You will have to get your school somewhere though, although our division recognizes a multitude of avenues to accomplish this.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

I think all the events next year in our division are regionals, or "rationals" (R/N combined) with the exception of the March N/N at TWS.

There will be plenty of regional events for you to attend if you choose.

You will have to get your school somewhere though, although our division recognizes a multitude of avenues to accomplish this.

Well, that's good news, anyway...rationals, that is.

We discussed the school issue in another thread...after super school was cancelled for the 2nd year in a row. The most affordable local option seems to be NASA without either towing to another region (or traveling and renting).

-tch

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

Tom, I'm not sure where you are getting your information. You are wrong about regional events, there will be multiple 2012 Regional races under SCCA in the Texas area. Whether you choose to race them of course is up to you, we would like to have you join us with your nice new pretty car. As far as an affordable school is concerned, I am not sure what is planned this year, but the schools historically have never been expensive (please compare with Skippy).

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts

Tom, I'm not sure where you are getting your information. You are wrong about regional events, there will be multiple 2012 Regional races under SCCA in the Texas area. Whether you choose to race them of course is up to you, we would like to have you join us with your nice new pretty car. As far as an affordable school is concerned, I am not sure what is planned this year, but the schools historically have never been expensive (please compare with Skippy).

Cnj

I hadn't looked at next years schedule. I made the mistake of assuming next years schedule would be largely similar to previous years. In previous years' schedules, there were only two regionals with the rest being nationals. My fault for not looking this year. It IS good to know that SW Div is adding / combining more regional events. However, its unfortunate (and, possibly short sighted) to not educate new drivers, and instead rely on alternate schools (typically much more expensive) to provide new blood for the region (and regional events).

I had always intended to attent the SCCA super school at TMS, that has traditionally been scheduled in December. I considered attending last year and renting a car, but they cancelled the school. At the time it was canceled, I talked with Romey and he said that there would DEFINATELY be a school in 2011. July rolled around, and they cancelled the school for 2011, as well. I've spoke with Romey again, and he says that he doesn't know if / when they will ever hold the school again.

I'd ALWAYS planned on racing in SCCA---since the day I talked to you at TMS. I hadn't even considered NASA until about a two months ago, when I began looking for alternatives to the TMS Super School. Several people offered other options (Colorado Super School, Oklahoma, WDCR School---rental from Meathead, etc). NASA is attractive because its local, and is essentially the same cost as any other NASA weekend.

The tire issue is just another nail (but, since I made the regional/national error above, I get to take one nail back). As everyone knows there are a lot of startup expenses (car build, trailer, tow vehicle, random tools for the shop, etc), tires being just one. I just don't see being able to afford two different complete sets of tires in 2012. Realistically, staying on good rubbing with one brand is about all I can expect. Maybe in 2013 when "hopefully" the budget will be entering sustainment mode, I will be able to afford both HooHoos, and Toyos.

-tch

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR
I wouldn't worry about tires just yet Tom. Do school and some tests or DE with know good take offs from bigger teams. If you've never raced before you won't come close to the threshold of adhesion and in school learning things like driving with other cars, spatial awareness of your situation on the track, closing rates, letting the lead draft by cleanly, etc. You don't need new tires for that, just tires that aren't too trashed. Another thing about school is you don't need to run your car under your class rules, you just need a log book. Going to school with a base line ITA is no different than with an SM. Get the safest, fastest car you can with your budget and go have some fun.

Dave
  • Jim Drago likes this

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Count me in the list of those who this WILL affect. Between the inability of my SCCA region to offer an affordable school, . . .

Consider the Buccaneer Division Double Drivers School February 2-5 in Savannah. I did it last February. Reasonable cost, large groups (I think we had at least a dozen Miatas), good instructors, and fun but informative atmosphere. Nearby hotels are reasonable and have SCCA rates. Lots of nightlife options in Savannah, too.

If you don't want to trailer your car that far, Tom Fowler of OPM will be there and has rentals available. 770-886-8199 or http://www.opmautosports.com.

Registration opens January 1, 2012 on motorsports.org. Info here: http://www.buccaneerregion.org.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

I hadn't looked at next years schedule. I made the mistake of assuming next years schedule would be largely similar to previous years. In previous years' schedules, there were only two regionals with the rest being nationals. My fault for not looking this year. It IS good to know that SW Div is adding / combining more regional events.

Tom,

Sorry to disagree with you again, but your info is still wrong. This year there were TX SCCA regional race weekends in Jan, Feb, May, Aug, Oct and Nov. Lots of races to spend your kids inheritance. I am not trying to bust you, I just don't want someone reading this thread to think that there are not racing oportunities for new comers in TX SCCA. With that said I was suprised that they cancelled the race school and when I asked I was told that alternative arrangement were being made. It did not affect me personally and so I did not ask more - and should as it affects our class. On a separate note I think that NASA is a good group to run with as well and the tire rules are going to bifurcate the racers to some degree (unfortunately) and we will see a little less cross over. Certainly I planned to run a few more NASA events this next year due to proximity of races and this complicates matters.

Regarding tires you should consider chasing down SCCA racers who are going to be selling thier RA-1 rain tires for 60 cents on the dollar. While these will make you a little slower, use them for practice till they wear down a little and then race on them (if you choose to race NASA).

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

trimless

trimless

Low Budget Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Region:Texas
  • Car Number:11
Regarding tires you should consider chasing down SCCA racers who are going to be selling thier RA-1 rain tires for 60 cents on the dollar. While these will make you a little slower, use them for practice till they wear down a little and then race on them (if you choose to race NASA).

Cnj

Best RA-1's I have ran on were old rain tires shaved down to 3/32".
G. Corley
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
Gale who shaves used tires? I would love to shave my rains down to 2 or 3/32.

K. Webb