Photo

NASA has announced Toyo as official tire...now what?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

tony senese

tony senese

Not racing bicycles again!!

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Region:Northeast
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:99
LOL, they are on exactly the same page..... think about it......

Phew...... that was a close one!

Tony Senese
NASA-NE SM Director
'06, '08, '11, '12, '13, '14

NASA-NE SM champ

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I have no insider info and I may be completely wrong, But this would not be the first time.

Just because Toyo is the official tire of NASA, it does not mean the spec tire for SM has to be Toyo. For example BFG is the official tire of SCCA, yet Hoosier is the SM spec tire. And SRF uses Goodyear. Spec and official do not neccessarily mean the same thing.

My understanding is that NASA courted several tire companies to 'win' the Regional SM business, with the focus being on the racers. The goal was to make the program the best it could be for as many in the field and still be a performance reward.

I was not responsible for the new deal, but I did voice my opinion that if NASA SM was going to have a different tire than SCCA it MUST pay well and deep into the field. I think they did good... So, read it over, the payouts are pretty interesting:

http://www.nasaprora...alCont_2012.pdf

The incentive on larger fields is to reward the pointy end for performance and reward the lower-end for being responsible making the payouts be so nice, kinda a neat idea. It's an innovative approach, one that is very unique to NASA and will not be available anywhere else.

Full Press release: http://www.nasaprora...inue-as-th.html
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

I have no insider info and I may be completely wrong, But this would not be the first time.

Just because Toyo is the official tire of NASA, it does not mean the spec tire for SM has to be Toyo. For example BFG is the official tire of SCCA, yet Hoosier is the SM spec tire. And SRF uses Goodyear. Spec and official do not neccessarily mean the same thing.

The SCCA contract with Toyo expired, Hoosier won the bid for the next contract. The NASA contract runs for another year with Toyo. After that, who knows what tire they will spec.

Dave

At the awards ceremony yesterday at the NASA 25hr event, Jerry announced the Toyo as the series Tire through 2015...as was reported in the linked article above. He also said Toyo will be doubling the contingency money per event...I think it was $150 this year, so $300 per win next year! (someone correct me if I'm wrong please) SFR SCCA will be staying on Toyos for next year at least...looks like a smart move!

Edit...John spells it out clearer above!

Edit #2...Oh man! Just read the pay out chart...my money says The Northern California NASA will be getting a little more crossover this year! Unless SCCA steps up with the same thing!

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

SFR SCCA will be staying on Toyos for next year at least...looks like a smart move!

My understanding is these payouts are not available with ANY other organization - it's NASA thing.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

So what's the Hoosier contingency with regional racers in 2012? Bwaa haaa haaa ha, jeez I crack myself up.

I may need to rethink which club I race in.

2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000

I was not responsible for the new deal, but I did voice my opinion that if NASA was going to have a different tire than SCCA it had better pay out well and deep. I think they did good... So, read it over, the payouts are pretty interesting: http://www.nasaprora...alCont_2012.pdf

The incentives on larger fields is to reward the pointy end for performance and reward the lower-end for being responsible making the payouts be so nice. Kinda neat idea. It's an innovative approach one that is very unique to NASA and it won't be available anywhere else.

Full Press release: http://www.nasaprora...inue-as-th.html

Maybe your not such a Grinch after all!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Mueller the program is nice, I would rather race on Hoosiers, but those contigencies look pretty sweet! You Da Man, Man! Holy Sh*t did I just say that...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
Mueller I notice it says this is for all regional races.... So... is there another contingency scale for the nationals?

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Mueller I notice it says this is for all regional races.... So... is there another contingency scale for the nationals?

I'd assume so yes. This year Nate got like $4000 or something from Toyo.... It's traditionally much richer and extends to open tire classes too.

I'll look into it and post a link if it's available. However, I suspect it's not been finalized just yet as I know they've been pressing hard to get this one done.

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I'd assume so yes. This year Nate got like $4000 or something from Toyo.... It's traditionally much richer and extends to open tire classes too.

I'll look into it and post a link if it's available. However, I suspect it's not been finalized just yet as I know they've been pressing hard to get this one done.

NASA Nationals payouts will be the same as previous years: HERE IS WHAT IT WAS IN 2011

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Tom,

Sorry to disagree with you again, but your info is still wrong. This year there were TX SCCA regional race weekends in Jan, Feb, May, Aug, Oct and Nov. Lots of races to spend your kids inheritance. I am not trying to bust you, I just don't want someone reading this thread to think that there are not racing oportunities for new comers in TX SCCA.

That's Okay, Craig. I don't mind being busted when I'm wrong. I don't know where I got my information either---I thought I did, but in reviewing the information again, my memory seems to be faulty....or my interpretation of it. Whatever it was, it was clearly flawed. I can't find a single year for which my above statements are true. I take it all back.

So, I'll get my license through NASA, and use it to get an SCCA license after that. I'm not giving up on the idea of SCCA races...but, the path has changed and become longer. C'est la vie.

With that said I was suprised that they cancelled the race school and when I asked I was told that alternative arrangement were being made. It did not affect me personally and so I did not ask more - and should as it affects our class.

I was directed to the MSRH school.

On a separate note I think that NASA is a good group to run with as well and the tire rules are going to bifurcate the racers to some degree (unfortunately) and we will see a little less cross over. Certainly I planned to run a few more NASA events this next year due to proximity of races and this complicates matters.

Which, I think, is really the point. Both organizations negotiated separate deals separately "for the good of *their* membership". You can't really fault either organization for that mindset---if the populations are truly disjoint that would certainly be the right approach. I don't think they are disjoint, but maybe the crossover isn't that signficant...I don't know. Hopefully they do know, and have run the numbers. I would have thought, that in these lean times, the potential loss of a few more precent of registrants would be problematic.

Nevertheless, they have landed in separate places...and that will force some people to choose. BOTH organizations lose something what that choice has to be made. All, after all that work to re-negotiate an identical rule set (except tires)....when (from what I hear) tires are the biggest single budget item in a mature racing program. If that is truely the case, then different plates and weights would have been better than different tires.

Regarding tires you should consider chasing down SCCA racers who are going to be selling thier RA-1 rain tires for 60 cents on the dollar. While these will make you a little slower, use them for practice till they wear down a little and then race on them (if you choose to race NASA).

Yes, I already have SOME. And I follow ebay for used tires, as well...good deals to be had there, too. I have no illusions of being able to maximize low-cycle 2/32 shaves...or even that I would be able to tell the difference. I doubt that (but haven't entirely given up on the idea) I'm an undiscovered Jackie Stewart.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Is that actually a word or are you making stuff up again? You live in TX now. You need to conform and quit using these words I have to look up.

LOL, We have many dictionaries in the house, one being the Oxford English. Though I usually ask my wife, the fine arts major. Cajun Man, don't get Craig all started in them big words and thoughts like "inverse square", "critical distance", "SII" and "RT60". Thems a gonna make scaling a car look like a walk in the park... :spin: :king:

Tom, the take away is don't sweat the tires, school isn't that expensive, go have fun. And did I mention the go have fun part?

Dave

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

So what's the Hoosier contingency with regional racers in 2012? Bwaa haaa haaa ha, jeez I crack myself up.

Hoosier does have a good contingency program....for some dirt circle track racers.... In most NASA regions SM looks like you'll get a bit of tire money for showing up, much like circle track purses. It ain't much but every little bit helps. Good thinking guys but I'd still rather use a moulded, unshaved, race tires on a race car.

:offtopic: My beef (if you can call it that) with NASA are no two piece suits. My form factor, even in my best shape (26 lbs down in the last 2 months) dictates custom one piece suits, which basically adds a grand to the cost. With my two piece I'm more comfortable, particularly in size fat bastard and I can buy name brand, off the shelf, made in good ol' USofA by hard working Hoosiers (think corn farming, not tire builder)

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:92
Tom,
In the pipeline is a Mentor program to educate/license new drivers since most regions are backing away from money losing schools.
Anyone besides James or Craig would be good for you :grouphug:

All races but 1 next year will be Double Rationals, the 1 will be a Rational/National at TWS for the Super Sweep Series.

Lastly,
I have a set of slightly used Toyo full treads for sale if anybody wants them.

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

Tom Hampton

Tom Hampton

Egregious Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • Region:South west
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:41

Anyone besides James or Craig would be good for you :grouphug:

Now that's funny, right there! I bet either/both would be just fine.

-tch
Build: www.tomhampton.info

video: vimeo.com/tomhampton

Support: X-Factor Racing

I didn't lose, I just got outspent!

Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

FTodaro

FTodaro

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:35

The SCCA contract with Toyo expired, Hoosier won the bid for the next contract. The NASA contract runs for another year with Toyo. After that, who knows what tire they will spec.

Dave

Good Point Dave. We should get all the information before we jump to conclusions. Who knows what tsunami lies ahead.

Frank
TnT Racing
SCCA Ohio Valley Region

Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Now that's funny, right there! I bet either/both would be just fine.

Well that depends. If you want to spend extra on an interpreter then Craig is fine. :shoot:

If you speak American, :devil: we can forego that....

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA