Photo

NASA has announced Toyo as official tire...now what?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

Jim, is SCCA cool with one of there officials running a competing program. I know they bitch when you just have a NASA sticker on your suit or car.

Pat

Is there anything in the GCR or CCR that says no competing patches or decals? Those of us that play with both groups need to start saying "tough SH**" when they ask for that if they don't have an actual rule.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Is there anything in the GCR or CCR that says no competing patches or decals? Those of us that play with both groups need to start saying "tough SH**" when they ask for that if they don't have an actual rule.

Logos and decals of sanctioning bodies other than SCCA shall be removed or covered (car and driver’s suit).

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
Balls. (that is all)
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

Is that actually a word or are you making stuff up again? You live in TX now. You need to conform and quit using these words I have to look up.

York, for a guy who spends so much time profligately proliferating his engine program, I'm surprised you find time to pick on me :). If you find my English word choice tricky be thankful I don't speak to you in Afrikaans.

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

Logos and decals of sanctioning bodies other than SCCA shall be removed or covered (car and driver’s suit).

This is easy (a little tape does the job). The more interesting question for me is tire advertising on the car. No easy way to change that out...

Cnj.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

This is easy (a little tape does the job). The more interesting question for me is tire advertising on the car. No easy way to change that out...

Notice they don't require Nomex or Proban tape over the patches? Wonder what an SFI-5a test on a piece of oily duct tape on the suit, over a cloth patch with non Nomex thread over the heart and chest area would look like? I've always though the sanction patch and decal requirement in club/amateur is pompous and over blown. The decal deal a heat gun, sharp razor knife raw blade and a stack of suitable replacements should do. At least they give the tire decals away and the tire guys are giving some product.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

York, for a guy who spends so much time profligately proliferating his engine program, I'm surprised you find time to pick on me :). If you find my English word choice tricky be thankful I don't speak to you in Afrikaans.

Cnj

Hope there's an App for that!

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Notice they don't require Nomex or Proban tape over the patches? Wonder what an SFI-5a test on a piece of oily duct tape on the suit, over a cloth patch with non Nomex thread over the heart and chest area would look like? I've always though the sanction patch and decal requirement in club/amateur is pompous and over blown. The decal deal a heat gun, sharp razor knife raw blade and a stack of suitable replacements should do. At least they give the tire decals away and the tire guys are giving some product.

For tire decals, I tape over the decals not in use and keep them all on the car.

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

For tire decals, I tape over the decals not in use and keep them all on the car.

Where does it say you can do that under SM rules?...... :bash: :chainsaw1: Remember what the choir says...... "if it doesn't say you can, than you can't" :spin: Of course us thieves, liars and murders don't seem to mind....

That's a good solution. A bit of multicolored racer tape or gaffer tape, available in a primary colors and even some other colors would do the trick.

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Is taping required for tire decals? The Toyo Contingency does not seem to require exclusivity:

Decals Requirement: YES

# of Decals: 4

Location: One decal must be placed on each side of the vehicle as well as on the front and rear.

Nothing about removing other decals, unlike the GCR regarding competing logos. Quoting Drago: "Logos and decals of sanctioning bodies other than SCCA shall be removed or covered (car and driver’s suit)." Those who race both NASA and SCCA will need to know in 2012.

Also, if Hoosier does not give contingency for regional races, do we need Hoosier decals?

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

for regional races, do we need Hoosier decals

Nope, no one rides for free.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2
I don't believe you need Toyo or Hoosier decals if you are not worried about contingency?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

I don't believe you need Toyo or Hoosier decals if you are not worried about contingency?

Yeah, if you don't want to get paid in NASA leave the Toyo decals off.... Most NASA regions will check the car before signing the appropriate forms.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

htron435

htron435

Can't reMember

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Region:NASA Great Lakes
  • Car Number:113

That's a stupid rule, especially for the suit.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

Jay North
ATC Trailer Dealer
www.jaynorthauto.com

htron435

htron435

Can't reMember

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

NASA Nationals payouts will be the same as previous years: HERE IS WHAT IT WAS IN 2011

As expensive as Nationals is, it would be nice if they'd expand that to cover more of the field. Once you factor in the obscenely jacked up hotel costs that is. . .

Jay North
ATC Trailer Dealer
www.jaynorthauto.com

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

That's a stupid rule, especially for the suit.

Can't agree with you there, it's easy to apply blue painters tape on the car and gaffers tape on the suit.

As expensive as Nationals is, it would be nice if they'd expand that to cover more of the field. Once you factor in the obscenely jacked up hotel costs that is. . .

I agree 3000% with you on this one!!! I'm gonna see if there is anything that can be done to closer resemble the regional NASA/Toyo payout schedule.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

Yeah, if you don't want to get paid in NASA leave the Toyo decals off.... Most NASA regions will check the car before signing the appropriate forms.

My point was for those who race both NASA and SCCA Regional events, why even worry about Hoosier decals? Is there a requirement to have Hoosier decals if hey have no SCCA regional contingency? It seems that for most of us, just put Toyo decals and race both series. Under the new Toyo contingency, it will be hard NOT to qualify for contingency $$ in NASA.

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

My point was for those who race both NASA and SCCA Regional events, why even worry about Hoosier decals? Is there a requirement to have Hoosier decals if hey have no SCCA regional contingency?

NASA non-SM classes had (& may still have, I don't know for sure) a Hoosier contingency program. Lots of guys were running them in PT class and in enduros.

htron435

htron435

Can't reMember

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Can't agree with you there, it's easy to apply blue painters tape on the car and gaffers tape on the suit.

While I'll concede that taping over decals on a car is not that big a deal, I think having to put duct tape over a patch on a driver's suit is just ridiculous. I mean really. . .who's gonna see it? And who really cares if they do? Are guys gonna leave to race in the other region just because you have a patch on your suit? There's just no logic to it. Besides, there's no Bernie Ecclestone in amateur racing. Or is there. . . . ?

Jay North
ATC Trailer Dealer
www.jaynorthauto.com

steveracer

steveracer

Blue Eyes, Aquarius, hates being squeezed to the grass in SowDiv

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Region:Lone Star
  • Car Number:92
I always thought taping over the other sanctioning bodies decals was kinda pissy and infantile myself.

So what if I race both series if I'm here this weekend...get over your bad ass self!
  • htron435 likes this

Steven Holloway

Artist formerly known as Chief Whipping Boy for Lone Star Region

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users