Photo

'99 New Restrictor - Significant Loss in HP - More than expected!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:39
Just dynoing '99 engines with new restrictor plate. Was expecting around 2-4 HP loss, but in reality seeing 6-7HP on dynojet, even after tuning. Totally repeatable switching back and forth. Have we missed something?

What are you experiencing?

Danny
Danny Steyn Racing | DSR YouTube Channel
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Glenn

Glenn

Mid Pack Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • Region:SE

Just dynoing '99 engines with new restrictor plate. Was expecting around 2-4 HP loss, but in reality seeing 6-7HP on dynojet, even after tuning. Totally repeatable switching back and forth. Have we missed something?

New build or old car........

Glenn Murphey, Crew Chief
Owner Crew Chief Services The Pinnacle of Excellence, Contract Crew Services for the racing community.
Soon to be back in the club racing scene for good ;)

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:88
It's a gain (37mm) from NASA :D

Is it any faster on the dyno with 50# less weight? :whistling:
J~
  • Michael Novak likes this
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Those numbers sound similar to what Drago posted a while ago about what was to be expected. Maybe 1 or 2 higher loss than the post.

Last year, when I tested the 37mm for giggles against the SCCA 41mm, I lost 6 to 7 hp reviewing my plots now. What's 1 mm? Not much, within dyno noise?

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6
I better stock up on 1.8 parts huh?

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26
Sounds about right. I was at the dyno this weekend with a freshened motor. I'm hoping after my visit to Florida to go back and see if we gain anything.

I can't help with "Have we missed something?" :scratchchin:
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

Danny if you weren't so bizy hitting Charbs in the back bumper last year you would have been awake for this chat last year! My 99 and you have raced against it with 129.5hp in SCCA trim was only 124.5 in NASA trim. I am told that the higher the hp the eninge makes in SCCA trim the larger the hit to performance per mm of RP.

I only know of only one 1999 that was really cooking last year in NASA trim, it was driven by a refugee! I am 100% possitive that enigine would pass tech everytime! Aren't you engines from the same the builder? Pull some strings and get the better motor shipped to you this year!

I know that engine in the 99 was one hell of an engine last year, and this is no knock on driving tallent... he has plenty to spare! That car pulled the RP and could run down every straight with my 144.5 hp fully prepped PTE car in the PTE championship race, had it not been for a front hub failure I may very well be stiing in P4 rather than P3 at the finish.

So last year it was 5hp swing for me and if I had say 131hp it may have been more like a 6-7 hp swing like you are experiencing!
  • Alex Bolanos likes this

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts

New build or old car........

Glenn - existing car - same day, same dyno, switching back and forth and tuning accordingly - 7HP repeatable loss.

Danny
Danny Steyn Photography | Adept Studios | Ocean MachineryOPM AutosportsRossini Racing Engines | G-Loc Brakes | 

2 x SCCA Runoffs Champ | 1 x NASA National Champ | 6 x June Sprints Champ | 10 x ARRC Champ

1 x SCCA Super Sweep | 2 x Triple Crown | 4 x Hoosier Super Tour Points Champ | 6 x Majors Points Champ | 5 x SEDiv Driver of the Year

June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Majors Winner - BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

I' not sure why you ever expected only a 2-4 hp loss? I posted it was more than that as did most everyone else?

I suspect dyno practices a little bit, heat soak etc. If your not very careful, you can get conflicting results very easily. I'm not sure how they are doing the testing. Swapping plate in and out is the worst way of doing it. You have to make complete set of runs from 160-210 with 41m plate to warm the car, the fluids and drum grease etc.. let it cool.

Do again same way with 41 mm plate... let cool

install 38 mm plate run from 160-210, and see what you get.

throw away the high and low from each run and average the rest.

The average of our best was what I posted, 4-5 Hp. We developed a new exhaust and tuned it to the new plate and we are within 2-2.5 hp of what we had last year.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
yup Kyle - missed it - kinda zoned out of the NASA discussion last year.

Must stay I was not expecting such a drop off. Silly me - the math says I should have anticipated more.
  • 41mm - 38mm = 202mm2 reduction or approx 8.5% reduction in area.
  • 124HP - 117HP = 7HP reduction or approx 5.65% reduction in power (yesterdays numbers on dynojet on an existing engine being tested)
Well if this is what we can expect, then I think there will be a changing of the guard. At Road Atlanta I had nothing for Buras's new 1.6 motor in a straight line, even when in the draft. With a great Rossini engine, with 41mm plate. Would not have been pretty with 7Hp less.

Suspect that we will see several 1.6's being re-comissioned and I have it on good authoirty that the "talented refugee" of whom you speak has given up on the '99 and is re-commissioning his '94.

"Oh what have I done".... says Steyn as he writes another check to OPM for his new '99 build!!!

Edited by Danny Steyn, 12-21-2011 02:33 PM.

• JBlaisdell and Alex Bolanos like this

Danny

Danny Steyn

Danny Steyn

Zulu rain warrior

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,439 posts
Thanks Jim for the dyno tips

will take this into consideration

Danny

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

"Oh what have I done".... says Steyn as he writes another check to OPM for his new '99 build!!!

I wouldn't cancel that check just yet... You'll be fine!
You may get beat by Buras in a very good 1.6, Balanos or the chubby kid from Texas in a 97... But they should win races and would if we were all in 99's. I'm cautiously optimistic for 2012. I think the class will be really close.

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6
Where's David Dewhurst when you need him?

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
He will be along momentarily, he is re-filling his popcorn bowl for a long drawn out chat about sm parityat Road America.
  • Ron Alan and Jim Drago like this

K. Webb