Photo

'99 New Restrictor - Significant Loss in HP - More than expected!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Where's David Dewhurst when you need him?

Blake, you rang from afar. Mr. Burras will have this 1.6 stuff all covered. Untill the Runoffs. No disrespect intended.

Kyle, this site has no PopCorn, only :guinness:

I hope every generation has a shot as well as the runoffs!

Charlie that ^ would be a dream come true.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:26

Actually 2012 should be really FUN for everyone. Its gonna be all new for every model....

• How will the 1.6 do with the extra weight?
  • How will the 1.6 deal with the extra rolling resistance of the Hoosiers?
  • Will the 99's weight loss compensate for the horsepower loss?
  • Will the '99 become competitive at tracks where weight used to kill the tires?
  • Will the '01 emerge from the darkenss to be the sleeper many of us think it is?
  • Will the '94-97 end up being the overdog that everyone is secretly thingking?
  • Will the Hoosier close the field or open it up?
So many new things to work out - kind of exciting if you ask me! Traqmate will be your best buddy. Learning curve is gonna be steep

I'm guessing the 01+ will take over the role as car to have....... :o
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Panic Motorsports

Panic Motorsports

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Region:079 SCR
  • Car Year:2001
  • Car Number:90

That'd be a shame ;)
  • Sam Barnett and Glenn like this
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

The fear of the unknown :)

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Number:6

I think the 01 has a very good chance of surprising a lot of people. And the rules has made them look more attractive and will become more plentiful, and then we'll have 4 different cars to balance!

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Keith Andrews

Keith Andrews

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Region:CCR, SE
  • Car Number:26

That'd be a shame ;)

Trouble makers :duck:
  • Jim Drago likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

I think the 01 has a very good chance of surprising a lot of people. And the rules has made them look more attractive and will become more plentiful, and then we'll have 4 different cars to balance!

I keep hearing this? Why is the 01 any more attractive in 2012 vs 2009? 2010? 2011? The difference between the 99 and the 01 has been the same since then?

We have always had four car to balance?

Jim

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts

I keep hearing this? Why is the 01 any more attractive in 2012 vs 2009? 2010? 2011? The difference between the 99 and the 01 has been the same since then?

We have always had four car to balance?

Jim

Yeah but they weren't overly competitive before, and the rules appear that they will be now?

Why are you building another if you tried once and were not happy with result?

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Yeah but they weren't overly competitive before, and the rules appear that they will be now?

Why are you building another if you tried once and were not happy with result?

I guess I don't understand what you are seeing? The 01-05 "weren't overly competitive before' , the car loses 50 lbs like the 99, it also loses 3 mm of plate like the 99, but with the same changes it went from not very competitive to very competitive? The only reason the car will do better is that people may start building more of them as the price of the donors has come down some. But they gained no competitive advantage within the rules in the last four years. Actually took a hit in NASA rules from last year. So anyone could have built one during that time and had the same advantage or disadvantage that the car has under 2012 rules.

As far as me building.. I have been pretty open about my reasons..

Our 99's are 4-5 HP better now than when we tried the the last 01 we built, that should translate...
I think the car may race better than it dynos
The main thing I think that could benefit the 01-05 is that it pulls really good from 5-6000, I think we spend the entire back straight there at Road America in 5th gear. I think it may have an advantage there? but have no proof. A lot to wager on a hunch.

I don't think me building a car changes the competitive advantage or disadvantage of a car that has been left the same for basically the last four years?

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts

I don't think me building a car changes the competitive advantage or disadvantage of a car that has been left the same for basically the last four years?

When you have a direct impact on the rules, I think you might be surprised what people think. You are kinda a big deal for this class.

Blake Clements

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

When you have a direct impact on the rules, I think you might be surprised what people think. You are kinda a big deal for this class.

As far as being a big deal.. I have to refer back to Bennetts line.. Outside me , you and 15 other....
nobody gives a &*(!! Besides only one more year and i will be a normal schmo, just like you :)

You see the build blog for the car I plan on racing, a 99/00... You see the blog on the 02 I am building now.( Which is for sale by the way) Look at the start dates. I did not own the 2002 until after the 2012 rules were out and published(intentionally) for all to see and to make the same decision if they so desired. You and every other competitor have the same option and time line to build any car you chose? If it doesnt pan out, it will become my STL car :)

It is human nature to read more into a situation than there really is. You have yet to point out the advantage the 01-05 has in 2012 has that it didn't have the last four years? Basing an opinion of a cars competitiveness on me or anyone else building one doesn't have much merit IMO.
  • JBlaisdell likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Number:32

he's not as big a deal as he used to be...

Cnj.
  • Blake Clements, Glenn and Jim Drago like this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts

he's not as big a deal as he used to be...

Cnj.

But still bigger than me, AND HE CALLED ME CHUBBY IN THIS THREAD! ;)
  • Gary Norris, Cnj and Jim Drago like this

Blake Clements

38bfast

38bfast

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Region:OVR
  • Car Number:38
For anyone that thinks you can gain a competitive advantage by being on the SMAC or the CRB I encourage them to submit their resume as soon as possible. Most all on those committees pour their heart and sole into making racing better for all of us. They are also very careful to make sure they set as even playing field for all of us to play on. I for one am very pleased with the job Jim has done and hope that he will reconsider staying on longer. I think all the engineering, research and development he has done and then freely passes it on is very giving. The opposite of seeking a competitive advantage for himself.

Thanks Jim for all you are doing so we can have fun with our toys on the weekend.
  • George Munson, Glenn, Cnj and 3 others like this
Ralph Provitz
V2 Motorsports

Tom Sager

Tom Sager

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • Region:Central
  • Car Year:1996
  • Car Number:94

Actually 2012 should be really FUN for everyone. Its gonna be all new for every model....

• How will the 1.6 do with the extra weight?
  • How will the 1.6 deal with the extra rolling resistance of the Hoosiers?
  • Will the 99's weight loss compensate for the horsepower loss?
  • Will the '99 become competitive at tracks where weight used to kill the tires?
  • Will the '01 emerge from the darkenss to be the sleeper many of us think it is?
  • Will the '94-97 end up being the overdog that everyone is secretly thingking?
  • Will the Hoosier close the field or open it up?
So many new things to work out - kind of exciting if you ask me! Traqmate will be your best buddy. Learning curve is gonna be steep

My $.02 in order of your points...

1. 1.6 will be a tick slower with added weight
2. Rolling resistence differece should be similar for all cars but 1.6 is only car to have same power as last year.
3. 50 pound reduction will help '99. 1.8 lost 35 pounds in SCCA from late '10 to '11. That made a difference.
4. See number 3.
5. '01 looks great on paper. Did last year too. Would be fun to try one.
6. '94 - '97 loses 2.0 - 2.5 HP and 15 pounds in SCCA trim. Overall that will make car a tick slower.
7. Change to Hoosier in SCCA will probably mean setup and driving changes. They feel quite different to me.

NASA = stability from last year
SCCA = new ballgame
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995
94-97 overdog? Last year was everyones opportunity to mop up...if in fact this was an overdog...which based on the rules change someone thought it was! Ever so slightly slower this year IMO...

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Elliott Skeer

Elliott Skeer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Region:Nor/So Cal
  • Car Number:17
:guinness: (root beer only being 17) That would be great to see a good balance between the cars. That many changes in a year might be crazy though. My $$ is with the 01's
"Punk Ass Kid" -Track HQ's top SM contributor.
Working to call myself a GT driver.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75

yup Kyle - missed it - kinda zoned out of the NASA discussion last year.

Must stay I was not expecting such a drop off. Silly me - the math says I should have anticipated more.

• 41mm - 38mm = 202mm2 reduction or approx 8.5% reduction in area.
  • 124HP - 117HP = 7HP reduction or approx 5.65% reduction in power (yesterdays numbers on dynojet on an existing engine being tested)
Well if this is what we can expect, then I think there will be a changing of the guard. At Road Atlanta I had nothing for Buras's new 1.6 motor in a straight line, even when in the draft. With a great Rossini engine, with 41mm plate. Would not have been pretty with 7Hp less.

Suspect that we will see several 1.6's being re-comissioned and I have it on good authoirty that the "talented refugee" of whom you speak has given up on the '99 and is re-commissioning his '94.

"Oh what have I done".... says Steyn as he writes another check to OPM for his new '99 build!!!

Been on weight watchers for 2 months, down 16 lbs., 16 more to go. 1.6 car most of the way done. I will have a '99 as a spare when needed!
  • Glenn likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Nsparks

Nsparks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Car Number:#12

Been on weight watchers for 2 months, down 16 lbs., 16 more to go. 1.6 car most of the way done. I will have a '99 as a spare when needed!

Same here Mike! Well, minus the weight watchers. :whistling:
  • Glenn likes this

Nate Sparks 

2016 Global Mazda Invitational Champion

2016 MX-5 Cup Champion

2011 NASA SM National Champion
2010 13 Hour Winner
2009-2011 TMC East Coast Champion

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users