Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Question...
Do the Regional Directors across the country get together to talk about this, brainstorm, tell whats worked for them???
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:3
Bruce, you can be an "armchair" father this weekend by coming over this weekend and showing her your car preparation tricks!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Bruce you know me. Not intended as an Oregon slight at all. I understand the need to want more entries and look at it as a potential revenue generator. However I think the loss in market share, competiting organizations and lack of entries are not entirely due to economic circumstances. The SCCA should focus on what it does, be the best at it and then and only then will its market share increase. If we continue to look at stop gap, loss prevention type things we are cheapening what we do. All we need to do is be the best, offer the best product experience and value and attandence will increase. I am not a fan of the crap can class, even some folks think there cars are "OK" or safe.

I hear you Mike and wish it wasn't such an issue, so we didn't have to cheapen what we do. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Who knew that there were thousands of drivers out there that wanted to race, but just needed a quick easy way to get started. To make this work well, we'll need to embrace this new crowd and teach them why crapcans rules are much harder to enforce and that they'll end up spending just as much for maintence, tires, fuel, etc. I/you know that it's not that insurmountable task to do it the right way and that there is a huge amount of satisfaction in presenting a well prepped, maintained, and clean racing machine and how that is a big part of what we love about this sport. We just need to help those newly aflicted racers along in their maturity process.
  • Keith Novak likes this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:91

well prepped, maintained, and clean racing machine and how that is a big part of what we love about this sport.

We?

fast, dirty, and ugly forever!
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30

I hear you Mike and wish it wasn't such an issue, so we didn't have to cheapen what we do.

I'm sure the Porsche, GT, and formula racers figure they cheapened their sport a bit to let us race, too. ;)

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

We?

fast, dirty, and ugly forever!

Ha, I have no choice, all my friends have the clean extra fast show cars, and they won't help me fix mine if they get dirty doing it :) My street cars have plenty of dirt and grime, but come to think of it, so do theirs...

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

I'm sure the Porsche, GT, and formula racers figure they cheapened their sport a bit to let us race, too. ;)

Mr. Perspective :scratchchin:

Of course that doesn't include the 99s :fuming:

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
What's a 99? ;)

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23

What's a 99? ;)

It's what "big-boned" drivers like us should be driving! :D

Mike Collins

Mike Collins

Big Cheese

• Moderators
  • 1,262 posts
  • Region:Washington DC
  • Car Number:75
THis BIG boned 6'4" 250lbs SM driver is cutting weight to get below 220 and will be campaigning a ridiculous 1.6 this year! I am tired of the Dewurst whinning.
  • Glenn likes this
Mike "MEATHEAD" Collins
Founder - Partner
MEATHEADRacing
240-476-1593

www.meatheadracing.com
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Sugar Daddy - Made PayPal donation of $500+ Donor - Made PayPal donation Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. MX5 Cup Participant - Has Participated in a MX5Cup.com Series Event Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other

Randy Thieme

Randy Thieme

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Car Year:1993
  • Car Number:51
Everyone with a 1.6 don't forget minimum weight is up to 2300 this year. 2315 if using 0.010 overbore.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

THis BIG boned 6'4" 250lbs SM driver is cutting weight to get below 220 and will be campaigning a ridiculous 1.6 this year! I am tired of the Dewurst whinning.

Driving a 1.6 keeps me healthy. My doctor said I didn' realize how much of a favor I did myself losing 30 pounds!

forestdweller37

forestdweller37

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Region:Des Moines Valley
  • Car Year:1994
My SCCA region ran a similar class last year. I was able to take my driver's school and qualify for a regional license last spring in my team's miata chumpcar. It was sort of a "spur of the moment" thing. The region extended the invitation for Chump/Lemons drivers and two members of my team accepted. It was a great time and the support and camaraderie between the drivers and workers really made it feel like "home". This winter I picked up a spec miata for myself. The other member of our team who went to the SCCA school weekend with me did so in a newly acquired SSB civic. A third member then borrowed the chumpster and used it in an accredited "commercial" school to qualify for his own regional license though I don't think he'll be buying his own car as he's still a college student.

Overall participation in the class was not great. I think that was due to the team car ownership aspect of most "crap can" racecars. You're always driving a 75% borrowed car. A weekend with a single-driver group like SCCA or NASA isn't very fair when only one of four team members gets to participate.

I hope the folks in Oregon Region have worked out how to tech the Chump/Lemons cars. I ran into several issues where things that were allowed in chump weren't compatible with the basic GCR. They weren't really safety issues, but rather things like a lack of a fuel test port and functional OEM ABS.

Chris Elek

Chris Elek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Its funny to see some of the responses here just checking in all the way from Ohio. I happen to be on a Chump car race team. I was googling ITJ because I heard it emerged out west. Just a FYI. those talking about log books. Chump car is forcing log book use in 2012 its part of the rules. One of our drivers is a Spec Miata driver. You would all be surprised how many professional racers SCCA, ITA...... ect driver race chump or lemons because the cost of racing is SO CHEAP.

This is a side race for them you can not beat the seat time for the $$$. and J for junk does not mean all the cars out there in our series will blow up in 30 minutes. I have been to a good 12 races in the last 2 years and in the series only a handful of cars popped and engine or transmission. So on average 6 out of maybe 1000 cars we have raced with have problems which result in crap/fluids on the track. Most of the reasons cars do not finish are electrical 10 year old coil packs or corroded wiring. Yes are cars look like a pile of crap but mechanically most are sound and have strict safety regulations that need to be followed. I hope to see this movement eastward

Http://tferacing.com

Michael Colangelo

Michael Colangelo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Region:Southern California
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:23
BTW, the folks at Oregon Raceway Park and also at Pacific Raceways are putting on their own crapcan races this year.

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

:nonono: some of you always forget the @ Road America part. :peace1:
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Kyle Keenan

Kyle Keenan

Pass right

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Region:Oregon Region
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:44
Hopefully with a pile of crap cans and the added bunch of drifters, we'll see the entry fees go down a bit. Not going to pay another $560 entry fee for Rose Cup again.

#44 Team KBR/KKRProducts.com Spec Miata
#44 Team KBR/Dick Hannah Kia Rio B-Spec/ World Challenge TCB
#16 & #36 Blairco Spec Miata's, ICSCC

2014 SCCA B-Spec National Champion

Dick Hannah Dealerships | Kia Racing | Team-KBR.com | KKRProducts.com | DBB | Fast Specialties | Blairco Heating | SBOX Engineering | Sikk Shades by Eddie Bauer, JR | Hawk Performance

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:12

Hopefully with a pile of crap cans and the added bunch of drifters, we'll see the entry fees go down a bit. Not going to pay another $560 entry fee for Rose Cup again.

Track rental, insurance and other costs aren't going down. The only way to keep fees down is to have more participants or charge more money or some combination of the two.
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Yeah, we're in a vicious cycle here. Less folks able to afford racing and costs going up. Kyle, that is why I don't really like putting those really long races or triple weekends together. The only folks who didn't mind paying the extra bucks are the winners, and that's a pretty bad percentage of satisfied customers...

-bw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users