• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Blake Clements

Blake Clements

• Moderators
  • 305 posts
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:6
Racing mixed with STU - No Thanks. That is one good thing about SW Div (and SE Div for that matter) is that SM gets its own run group.

Blake Clements

http://www.blakeclements.com - Driver Coaching, Consulting, & Video/Data Analysis.

OPM Autosports/SP Induction Systems/X-Factor Racing/G-Loc Brakes/Traqmate/Bell Helmets

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver BFG Supertour Winner -

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

This is a pilot program. It is not intended to do anything to or for the three divisions that are included in the program. What it is intended to do is to make a series of races something special that racers and spectators might want to attend. More track time, live results, awards ceremonies, etc., are part of the experiment. With the blurring of the lines between regionals and nationals (excepting the Runoffs) we have drifted away from the days when an SCCA National brought racers from all over the country. I understand the economics of long tows, but if you could attend an event in your area (say, closest three divisions) that gave you another way to the Runoffs, skydivers, marque club parking, live web timing and scoring, special PR promotions, a points championship, more track time, awards ceremonies, and top drivers from all of the surrounding divisions???? Well, maybe it might be worth another 100 mile tow over the same old, same old. It will be interesting.

100 miles doesn't go very far in Texas. A lot of those things you mention, parking, award ceremonies, skydivers, Runoffs entry (it's super easy now anyway) and a points championship, for what exactly, doesn't mean sqaut for me? Is Mazda or Hoosier ponying up some $$$ for this series? Division SM champion pays.

Competition is already present in SWDiv and I didn't see that the format offered any more track time than the historical double nationals held at TWS. Plus, I think having a qualify race, set from Saturdays race times to set the grid for Sundays real race is just silly.

And as Blake pointed out..... mixed with STU; sucks.

But hell, if SCCA wants another gimick go for it.

And food for thought... SCCA Nationals used to bring racers all across the country together because they were points chasing to "earn" an entry into the Runoffs. Now that it has pretty much become an easy entry, that's why what you described got killed. (That and the economy) No point in wasting all that time and money for nothng these days.

I think if the regions "make an event" people will come. For example, Sebring in Jan, TWS in March and I am sure other divisions have "big" events their familiar with. Make what we have now good, and people will turn out.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68
Frankly the runoffs means very little to most of us on the West coast when SCCA sent a clear message that the runoffs will always be held on the East Coast. Now Nationals are just another feather in the cap and bragging rights for a select few. Now we like to go to the big regional races like Rose Cup, and Sears, Laguna, etc.

-bw
  • Ron Alan, Alberto and Charlie Hayes like this

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Frankly the runoffs means very little to most of us on the West coast when SCCA sent a clear message that the runoffs will always be held on the East Coast. Now Nationals are just another feather in the cap and bragging rights for a select few. Now we like to go to the big regional races like Rose Cup, and Sears, Laguna, etc.

-bw

Lets hope the rumor mill of a west coast "runoff" pans out this year :prayer: And it wont be SCCA :noidea:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Number:12

Lets hope the rumor mill of a west coast "runoff" pans out this year :prayer: And it wont be SCCA :noidea:

Love ya Ron, but where do you get your info???

Anyways, I love that the SCCA doesn't make changes and people bitch and now they make changes and people bitch. If you aren't trying some new things, you're moving backwards. Kudos to the National staff for letting divisions experiment with programs that might improve their racing and turnout. The West coast is different from the middle which is different from the East - one program to rule them all is a hard sell in today's environment where every region needs to compete with so many more organizations offering more diverse options. Yeah, it could have been written better (thought that myself), but let the pain of inertia go!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts

Ok...got me. But admit, unless I missed it, other than the thread here about a west coast championship...to which only NASA was proposing something of the sort, no SCCA official has mention anything...until now. And even then, well, lets call it a Rational. It's a start :D

Thanks for correcting me...but SCCA still needs to throw the West Coast a bone. Someone start a poll and see how many of the East Coast guys(and anybody in the middle) would come West if lets say the Runoffs were at Laguna, Infineon, Miller, other???

Ron

RAmotorsports

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

Hey Stevens, say what one more time.

Ringo, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.... ;)

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Here's a thought - Want some excitement, make the event feel like a 'big deal'? How about the SCCA opens their events to the public - you know - like spectators?

Don't tell me it can't be done. NCR-SCCA even advertises their regional events at VIR, like the Al Fairer, Goblins Go, Charge of the Headlights, and charges $20 admission.

NASA don't need no steen-king guest list, or crew/overcrew crap. Just sign your life away and walk on in.

Mr. Alan, You're sorta right - the NASA Champs will be at Mid-Ohio in 2012 and then move out west for a couple years.
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

James York

James York

AKA Cajun Miata Man; Overdog Driver

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Region:Houston
  • Car Year:2003
  • Car Number:03

Anyways, I love that the SCCA doesn't make changes and people bitch and now they make changes and people bitch. If you aren't trying some new things, you're moving backwards. Kudos to the National staff for letting divisions experiment with programs that might improve their racing and turnout. The West coast is different from the middle which is different from the East - one program to rule them all is a hard sell in today's environment where every region needs to compete with so many more organizations offering more diverse options. Yeah, it could have been written better (thought that myself), but let the pain of inertia go!

Of course. Everyone has their own perception based on the racing quality in their world. If SCCA sucks, then I am sure they see the need to change or try something different.

For me, this program presently offers zero incentive to travel an extra 500-1000 miles to other division's major races. Maybe for others it does.

James York

sponsored by:
Stan's Auto Center, Lafayette LA

powered by:
East Street Racing, Memphis TN

2003 Spec Miata

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

naparsei

naparsei

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Car Number:#38
i would not necessarily drive longer (but I might) to make an event that was promoting SM, but I would certainly try to prioritize that race above other opportunities (car or otherwise) to get a bigger field.

Someone mentioned 24 car fields in RockyMtn region for SM? I've NEVER seen it, although I usually only make 1-2 races per year.

Brian Ghidinelli

Brian Ghidinelli

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • Car Number:12

Thanks for correcting me...but SCCA still needs to throw the West Coast a bone. Someone start a poll and see how many of the East Coast guys(and anybody in the middle) would come West if lets say the Runoffs were at Laguna, Infineon, Miller, other???

"Make your own luck" is my motto!
Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

SCCA Announces Yet Another Racing Program - The "Minors"

TOPEKA, Kan. (January 18, 2012) – Sports Car Club of America announced today a new, near bottom-level Club Racing program dubbed the “Minors,” launching as a pilot program in the Midwest, Rocky Mountain and Southwest Divisions in 2012.

Focused on providing fresh, enhanced opportunities for Novice-level classes within a geographical racing area, the Minors offer a new format race weekend focused on clustering-F**cking competition and providing greater chance of large repair costs for racers.

The Minors concept comes from a two-year drinking binge by a couple of SCCA Members to devolve the novice level of SCCA Club Racing with the changing times. For decades, “Regional” racing has served as the lowest Club Racing level.

“By definition in the SCCA General Competition Rules, Regional racing has not changed for decades, but many of these events have evolved away from their true purpose—to provide a high risk of contact event for the most casual competitors,” SCCA Member Ricky "Crash" Bobby said. “The Minors program does just that, not unlike the Tire Rack® SCCA ProSolo® Series does for the autocross community.”

A Break from the Norm

The most significant philosophical and structural change from the current Club Racing model deals with treating competition classes differently from one another at select events. Classes in the Minors program are placed in one of two groups—Driver's School Graduates (DSG) or Drive's School Social Promotion (DSSP). The highest subscribed classes in a particular geographic zone will be included in the DSG program, with the remaining classes comprising the DSSP group. Both the DSG and DSSP classes will have special opportunities for car-to-car contact throughout the season.

“There are too many Regional program classes to create a high contact-level experience for each of them on each race weekend,” SCCA President & CEO Lightning McQueen said. “We are able to do that once per year, at the Runoffs, and it takes a full week. (Besides, we banned Steve Gorrarian next year and we need new ideas for car-to-car contact). We need a departure from the philosophy that we can be all things to all people at every event. We can provide better programs, but we need to spread new opportunities for car contact out over several race weekends.”

Events

Each of the events will feature a pair of “points” races toward the Minors Championship that will also count toward the existing National and Divisional Point Championships. At Invitational events, drivers can expect to have car-to-car contact two to three times per race. Additional opportunities for car-to-barrier contact will depend upon the series raced.

Race Starts

Races will feature a Port-a-Sprint®. Each driver will select from a expired (SA 2000) Driver's helmet a number that will correspond with a numbered trackside Port-a-Potty. At the starting gun, Drivers will sprint from their Port-a-Potty across the track to their cars.

Race Courses

45-mile points race will have normal road courses reconfigured for a minimum of one intersection (or figure 8) and at least one straight away with two-way traffic. SCCA National Officials will be on hand to certify that car-to-car and car-to-barrier contact counts meets published minimums.

Following each race and the winner’s victory laps, the entire field will be brought by tow truck to impound for further demolition and award presentations.

Summary

Overview

- Minors are a step backwards from Regional races in SCCA Club Racing. The progression is now Driver’s School > Graduate > DSG >Minors or Driver's School > Fail > DSSP > Minors.

- Attractive event format clusters-f**cks competition, provides quality car-to-car contact time and is a good value for a racer’s investment.

- 2012 pilot for the “Zone” including the Midwest, Rocky Mountain and Southwest Divisions (SCCA staff research reveals those Regions are deficient in car-to-car contact, unlike the Southeast Region).

- Minors Events can separate classes into two groups (DSG and DSSP) to create a more manageable sample for unique crash opportunities

Events

- Focus on things that are better than, and different from, other events

- Separate Minors Point Championship for DSG classes, including the 12 races in addition to the traditional Regional, Divisional and National Point Championships.

- The bottom classes are invited to the Invitational Minors races.

- Invitational weekend race groups will have a target of one or two classes per group. Port-a-Sprint® starts for all multi-class groups. Courses will be reconfigured to have a minimum of one intersection (or figure 8) and at least one straight away with two-way traffic.

- Victory laps and awards presentations for each race.

Organization

- Series and event management by SafeRacer

- Consistent Tow Truck Services at all events

- Operations by SCCA Port-a-Potty

- Consistent logbook entries for damage

• Tom Maycock likes this

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Number:91
Tom, this is your official cease and desist notice. The "Crash" moniker is a registered trademark of Crash Burgoon Motorsports, and any unauthorized use will be met with legal action as well as a callous disregard for sheet metal aesthetics.

Thank you ;)
  • john mueller likes this
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

CruzanTom

CruzanTom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • Region:Southeast
  • Car Number:44

callous disregard for sheet metal aesthetics.

I've seen your kind! :noidea:

http://youtu.be/8JudUShacfg

Tom Hart

#44 SM and T-4

2014 SC Driver of the Year

2015 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

2016 SE Championship Series Spec Miata Champion

We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Donor - Made PayPal donation

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
Anyone have the link to the Hitler vid?
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Car Number:88

I've seen your kind! :noidea:

You mean this one??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmN7QxKWrjQ&feature=mfu_channel&list=UL
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14

Anyone have the link to the Hitler vid?

Majors video not complete to date.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Muda

Muda

ComingToAMirrorNearYou

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Region:WDC
No, the one they're gonna write for the Majors.
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users