Photo

Cylinder Head Minimum Height (Inches)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

Different strokes for different folks : )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts
  • Region:Milwaukee
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:14
Within the GCR under SMCS rule 9.1.8.C.1.f.1. Cylinder Head

"The muinimum heights of the cylinder heads as measured in the factory service manual allowed are shown in th following table."

The question is, when this rule specifies factory service manual is this the same as the 1990 Mazda MX-5 Miata Workshop Manual? If the answer is yes they are one and the same there is no plane location in the Miata Workshop manual specifying to measure 5.245 inches from a specific plane to the piston side of the head/milled surface plane. Which plane is the other plane used when milling the head? Also what is the procedure for measuring?

Pretty important rule which seems to be left pretty open.

Or maybe it seems pretty open because it's the first time I'm interested in the rule.

Thanks
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jason J Ball

Jason J Ball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Region:NASA-SE
  • Car Number:15
Your minimum height of the head is from valve cover surface to head gasket surface. Or the top and bottom flat surfaces of the head itself.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
Cylinder head inspection is on page B-48 of the 1990 factory service manual. This is the same as the workshop manual you are talking about.

The height is obviously the height from the head gasket surface to the valve cover gasket surface. I'm not sure how it could be interpreted any differently without being way off of the 5.245 measure.

Interestingly, the specified 5.245 min is 0.023in less than the minimum for replacement called for in the factory service manual (5.268). Getting to [max compression specified in the GCR] is step one in spec miata head building...
  • Erik Hardy likes this

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

East Street Racing / 2 Time National Champion

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
  • Region:Mid South
  • Car Year:2005
  • Car Number:2

Interestingly, the specified 5.245 min is 0.023in less than the minimum for replacement called for in the factory service manual (5.268). Getting to 5.245 is step one in spec miata head building...

Before the engine rule rewrite, their was no minimum head thickness. Builders were taking advantage of this rule by cutting the heads as much as possibly to un shroud the valves. The 5.245 is about .005 thinner than required in most cases to get to max compression without decking the block. Not sure getting the head to min thickness is the first step, we don't bring any to the minimum thickness.

I do agree it would be pretty hard to misunderstand that dimension...
  • CARLOS TEIXEIRA likes this

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

Doug007

Doug007

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:TX
I should have said milling the head to get max compression is the first step...

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

I do agree it would be pretty hard to misunderstand that dimension...

To my limited knowledge of the measurement process used by the SCCA to measure this 5.245 inch number I'll guarantee that there are several measurement process and each process will provide a different measured number. There is a specific reason that the process of "Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing" exists.
Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts
Not sure what gaurentee means :scratchchin: , but feel VERY confident that is a measurement that ANY tech official could make accurately. :noidea:

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner Hoosier Super Tour points Champion - Hoosier Super Tour points Champion ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata BFG Supertour Winner - Majors Winner - Circuit of the Americas Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner June Sprints winner  - June Sprints winner SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America

davew

davew

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:72
David D, give me a call. Please

Dave

Dave Wheeler
Advanced Autosports, the nations most complete Spec Miata shop
Author, Spec Miata Constructors Guide, version 1 and 2.0

Building Championship winning cars since 1995

4 time Central Division Spec Miata Champion car builder 2012-2013-2014-2017

Back to Back June Sprints Spec Miata 1-2 finishes 2016 and 2017

5 time June Sprints winner in Mazda's

6 Time Northern Conference Champion Car Builder

2014 SCCA Majors National point Champion car builder

2014 SCCA Runoffs winner, T4 (Bender)

2014 Central Division Champion, ITS (Wheeler)

2013 Thunderhill 25 hour winning crew chief

2007 June Sprints winner, (GT1, Mohrhauser)

Over 200 race wins and counting.
www.advanced-autosports.com
dave@advanced-autosports.com
608-313-1230

Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Sponsor / Advertiser - Site sponsor / advertiser... support these guys! Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Not sure what gaurentee means :scratchchin: ,

Basically, it means the word is miss spelled.

but feel VERY confident that is a measurement that ANY tech official could make accurately. :noidea:

Really, "ANY" tech offical.

There is a specific reason that the process of "Geometric dimensioning and tolerancing" exists.

This ^ process has been around for ever & the sole purpose is so that everyone involved in manufacturing/measuring will come to the same conclusion when manufacturing or measuring an item.

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99

This ^ process has been around for ever & the sole purpose is so that everyone involved in manufacturing/measuring will come to the same conclusion when manufacturing or measuring an item.

Can you please say that in English? I dont understand a thing your saying...

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Bench Racer

Bench Racer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,508 posts

Can you please say that in English? I dont understand a thing your saying...

That ^ is exactly why the GD&T process was developed & introduced.

The engineering folks on this site will understand. :yep:

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

That ^ is exactly why the GD&T process was developed & introduced.

The engineering folks on this site will understand. :yep:

Can I understand what your saying if I stay at the Holiday Inn Express?

K. Webb
Powered by East Street Racing (Best engines in Spec Miata)

Driver coach, Spec Miata Prep shop, Spec Miata Setup

2016 Hard Charger award passing 12 cars runoffs 2016 Mid Ohio

2016 P3 RUNOFFS OVER 40 DIVISION LOL!

2015 First consolation prize Northern Conference Majors Title Pageant
2015 Winner Circus Cat Majors Road America

2015 Winner BlackHawk Majors crash fest

My Signature is still not as long as Danny boy's

Donor - Made PayPal donation Majors Winner - Chatterbox - Blah blah blah... Blah blah blah Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Jim Drago

Jim Drago

• Administrators
  • 6,566 posts

Really, "ANY" tech offical.

What is a tech offical. :whistling: :wave2:

All ball busting aside...
If you, me, a tech official or anyone else can't accurately measure the thickness of a Miata head without reading a procedure, they shouldn't be measuring anything unless it needs to be rounded to the nearest foot, maybe yard. :bash: but as always, if you think the procedure needs to be further clarified.. You know the address, CRBSCCA.com

East Street Auto Parts
Jim@Eaststreet.com
800 700 9080

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
I would certainly hope that any normal Joe, could measure the stupid thing, if not may as well throw the rule book in the trash. We need weight numbers on the sides of our cars....

K. Webb