Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88

Not here. We were specifically told in SCCA school to NOT use headlights, and in the past ten years at SCCA events I have not seen even ONE car use them. Not once.

Hmmm, well that doesn't always happen. I know a person that has done it at Laguna ^^^^.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

dtfastbear

dtfastbear

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Region:NorCal
Then that is definitely a club-by-club, region-by-region custom. I've seen it done all the time here in NorCal in both SCCA and NASA. Also saw it at the NASA Nationals as the leaders caught lapped traffic. I see how someone could see it as obnoxious, but I'd argue they're just being a little too sensitive. It's information, not a command.

Cheers,

Dean

Former driver

Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
Personally, I'd talk to him once I'm nice and calm and get his side of the story. A number of things could have been going though (or missing from) his mind. Asking the guy "Hey, did you know I was leading the field and you..." isn't threatening, he'll know it was a big enough deal that you came to talk about it. If there's a difference of opinion on what was the right course of action in that situation, you can discuss it, and if it turns out he's just an :butthead: you'll know it for future reference.

A mixed group I was in last year played together a lot better by the end of the year than at the beginning. Some of it sorted itself out on the track as people figured out who's fast where. Some involved paint exchanges, and there were a number of discussions...not all bad ones. I had a 911 driver tell me that he saw a few of us racing hard in the final laps and backed off rather than try to get around, which I found rather cool of him. Knowing that, if I saw him in a similar situation I'd do the same.
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Ron Alan

Ron Alan

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,732 posts
  • Car Year:1995

Not here. We were specifically told in SCCA school to NOT use headlights, and in the past ten years at SCCA events I have not seen even ONE car use them. Not once.

I guess all I know is SFR region, and it is common to try and get the attention of a laper or a back marker in another class, with headlights. I don't see it as being un-courteous...quite the opposite...making it so all parties are on the same page seems a benefit. Because most guys in this situation want to know, and are happy to yield in order to not get in the middle of a leaders race. It's great when the corner workers are on top of where the leaders are in mixed class(or the same class)races, because the blue/yellow flag usually waves long before the faster car reaches the slower car giving them a corner or 2 advanced notice!

Bill, we can just agree to disagree. But other than soliciting feedback, I don't see Craig trying to flame anyone...nor was I...I just stated what I saw...which in this case was a driver not being completely aware.

Dean nails this situation in every post he wrote...always the calm voice of reason :thumbsup:

Ron

RAmotorsports

Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999

Dean nails this situation in every post he wrote...always the calm voice of reason :thumbsup:

+1 :thumbsup:
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Caveman-kwebb99

Caveman-kwebb99

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Region:Great lakes
  • Car Year:2000
  • Car Number:99
I think maybe a blue flashing light that you can slap up on the dash might work like Starsky and Hutch would use :) he was going slow enough he could have just pulled over on the shoulder anyway...

This happens in every group whether it be NASA or SCCA, I have had more guys let me by then try to race me, but I had an out of class car cost be big time a dbl national, put it on the pole and was running second as we came throught a field of SRF and one just chopped me off in a corner causing me to lock them up and get freight trained by 4 or 5 cars. That was tought to take, and I was to damn mad to go talk to him for fear it might get out of hand. No reason to ever let this stupid crap get out of hand at the race track, I aint gettin paid and, and I dont have fans coming out to see me race let alone fight with someone. Better to cool off and live to race another day. I would think this would be something that should be covered in Racing school but somehow I do not remember hearing anything about it when I did racing school.

K. Webb