KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:91
I always feel sorry for stellar young talent like this fellow. In some ways they'd be much better off without parents on the sidelines.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts

I always feel sorry for stellar young talent like this fellow. In some ways they'd be much better off without parents on the sidelines

That statement makes absolutely no sense to me. Does that apply to all parents who support their children's pursuits?
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

guest driver

guest driver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:11
  • Car Number:90
surprised to see such a tempest in a tea pot ... chill pill time.

go back and read the first post on this topic by the young lad ... he's just havin some fun, everyone here getting all bent out of shape ...
This 14 yr old kid is fast, smooth and consistant, didn't hit nobody, had a great race against his friend, end of story.
The kid can drive and should be encouraged. Whether the car or motor will survive a complete teardown is irrelevant.
The father got the kid to where he's at, knows better than most what he has to do going foward.

Reminds me of 6 years ago when another young talent debuted in SM, came out in a lime green 1.6, blew everyone away, heard the same story. That kid's now a veteren 21 yr old Grand Am Conti race winner, laughs about his days in SM, all those old farts who can't drive worth a crap. At least these kids don't beat n' bang into others.
hmmm ...

Lesson to be learned: never ever again post an unedited video, nothing to gain as everyone here on this website is already a stellar pro driver,
;)

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts
Ernie Sr & Jr.
No doubt the Jr. has talent, the dude can wheel a race car. However, that pass for that win just doesn't pass this communities 'smell' test. That's all.

On this forum there are tens-of-thousands-of-hours of collective experience focused solely on SM cars, and everything involved with racing them. So, no need to explain why you were quick or how to prep or what was done behind the wheel.... This community also knows when something 'smells off' and when someone has the stuff to drive them. In this case both seem to be in play, the kid sure can drive but the car smells a too stout.

I'm sure you run a highly professional business and you know your way around race cars. I appreciate Breathless involvement in FL club racing and bringing so many cars to NASA events. So as a leader of the NASA SM family, my advice to you is if that car was 101% legit then ignore all this noise and keep on keepin' on, pull that drive-line and sign-up early for the 2013 NASA Nationals. But, if the grey areas have been explored a little closer to the dark side with any component on that car then I'd still ignore the noise and make it right for the next event (and leave it that way for you & Jr's reputation).

The only way to make the bad smell go away is to let the talent behind the wheel shine through.... And then that is when this community will stand-up and applaud and even help move-up if that is the goal.
  • Caveman-kwebb99 likes this
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Rob Burgoon

Rob Burgoon

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Car Year:1995

That statement makes absolutely no sense to me. Does that apply to all parents who support their children's pursuits?

Nope, just too many. As much as I can't stand Elliot's conduct, to his credit he never had family butting in.
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

LarryKing

LarryKing

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,659 posts
Smells like: "He must be cheatin, cause he beat me, and I'm cheatin" :whistling:
  • john mueller and Ernie Jr. like this
2017 - SMSE SEDiv ECR Champion

Johnny D

Johnny D

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 6,121 posts
  • Region:San Francisco
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:88
Come on guys, stop stirring the pot.
J~
2011 NASA Western Endurance Racing Championship E3 Champ
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Beta-Tester - Assisted us with beta testing the website. Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Novel Approach - When a paragraph simply won't do... Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
Last little straight to the finish...did I see the tach go to 7500 rpm? Just sayin'....
  • KentCarter likes this
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

JRHille

JRHille

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:Great Lakes
  • Car Number:48
Those 2nd to 3rd shifts sound really nice, wish I could do that!

1999 Spec Miata
Hilltrux - Roush - V2 Motorsports - ESR

BFG Supertour Winner - SCCA National Champion - Won SCCA Runoffs at Road America Majors Winner - Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Alex Bolanos

Alex Bolanos

The Cuban Missile

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Region:FL
  • Car Number:57

So as a leader of the NASA SM family...

John,

As you may or may not know, nothing at all was teched on this car other than weight. The other four cars in the top 5 had their plates checked, tech stated they lacked the knowledge and tools to perform any tech on a 1.6. Has NASA FL contacted National for help? Kid's got talent no doubt but the car is extremely questionable.

Alex Bolanos - #57 
Sponsored by Autotechnik, Momo USA, Apex Alignment, and Amazon.com

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Majors Winner - We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! NASA Champs Winner - NASA Champs Winner

pat slattery

pat slattery

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts
  • Region:Cincinnati
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:79
Jr., nice drive, I dont think people are doubting your ability to drive. 14 years old or 50 years, it take skill and courage to go head to tail at 120+

Keep up the good work!
  • KentCarter, Caveman-kwebb99 and Jim Drago like this

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record.

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

Autotechnik's Red Headed Stepchild

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Florida
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:56
After reading all the posts I will upload my front and rear videos on the forum from Saturday's race that I won and Ernie Jr. finish 2nd. I will leave it up to the racing community to review my videos and make any follow up comments.

Danica Davison is my BIOTCH...Just Sayin

2017 - 6 Podiums

2016 - Florida Cup Champion

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

William Bonsell

William Bonsell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Region:Northwest
For this kids age he does a pretty decent job behind the wheel. The driving was good...but not perfect. Some early turn ins and not using all the track but for 14 - exceptional. The ability of this 1.6 to close on any straight is impressive to say the least. I have watched a ton of video over the past three years, and it's very very strong. I did notice the gauges at the final 4th to 5th upshift....7400/7500 rpm, 113/114 mph but no rev limiter. Have always thought 110 was about max in a 1.6 before rev limiter in 4th gear. Just an observation... Can you achieve those terminal velocity numbers with fuel and tuning?

But I still think he needs a better camera setup if he is going to continue to post video, which after this, this poor young fellow may reconsider. :spin:
Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+ Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

john mueller

john mueller

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

John,
As you may or may not know, nothing at all was teched on this car other than weight. The other four cars in the top 5 had their plates checked, tech stated they lacked the knowledge and tools to perform any tech on a 1.6. Has NASA FL contacted National for help? Kid's got talent no doubt but the car is extremely questionable.

Alex;
Tech in each region for regional events are run by the region. NASA 'National' provides documentation and guidance but usually nothing more unless requested by the regional competitors. Consequently this post has shed light on a problem I feel needs some 'National' attention, which is a lack of SM compliance testing in the FL region (and I'm talking for all cars)... The previous regional teams have tried but from what I've learned over the past 24hrs this has been an issue for a while. I'm sorry and I truly hope to help change it (but last year slowing down NB's took a lot time & attention ;)).

I will be contacting Jon Felton (NASA FL Regional Director), Patrick Wehmeyer (NASA FL Asst Race Director) to see what I can do to help raise the quality of tech and encourage their involvement.

I do want to point out this is not a witch hunt. Tech is there for every competitor in the field, if it is broken it fails everyone... My hope is to make tech more consistent so these discussions (slamming drivers & teams) don't gather much steam.
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver Instigator - Made a topic or post that inspired other Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill - Survive the 25, NASA Thunderhill Make it Rain - Made Paypal donation of $100+

wheel

wheel

Veteran Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Region:KC
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:20
"I always feel sorry for stellar young talent like this fellow. In some ways they'd be much better off without parents on the sidelines."

The poor SOB. Man, I really, really feel sorry for him. Total parent support, tons of talent, young, racing with good equipment. He should just walk away and get a job mowing lawns for gas money.

wheel
  • KentCarter likes this

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Attached are my videos of Saturday's race front and rear view. I won the race BARELY and Ernie Jr. finished 2nd. I will leave it up to the more experienced drivers to make their comments. What bothered me a little bit was almost getting taken out NASCAR style coming out of Turn 4 while I was holding my line.

My observations:

- Closing speed when I shifted into 5th gear in the middle of Turn 3 - 4.
- My 5th gear shift cannot exceed 105 mph.
- My car is a 1997 which has the same Drag Coefficient as the 1.6.

We have pilots and others on here that know a lot more about aoredynamics than I do but here is my research on Drag Coefficient on our cars.

1990 - 1997 Miata - 0.38 Drag Coefficient
1999 - 2001 Miata - 0.36
Toyota Prius - 0.25
Hummer H2 - 0.57

2017 - 6 Podiums

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

Broken record - You are starting to sound like a broken record. Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

KentCarter

KentCarter

Future Never Has Been

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Region:Southwest

"I always feel sorry for stellar young talent like this fellow. In some ways they'd be much better off without parents on the sidelines."

The poor SOB. Man, I really, really feel sorry for him. Total parent support, tons of talent, young, racing with good equipment. He should just walk away and get a job mowing lawns for gas money.

wheel

If Dad would just do that part and not get involved in the sideline stuff, the talented kid would be much better off. This kid has a great future, I think. Unless his father gets him a reputation as a cheater or terrible to be around.
  • Rob Burgoon likes this

CarbonRacer

CarbonRacer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
Something happened to the attached videos. Here they are again.

Rear View

Front View
http://youtu.be/SZZI7vi_Tlw

2017 - 6 Podiums

- 9 Podiums

2015 - 2 Podiums

2014 - 1 Podiums

2013 - 4 Podiums

2012 - 8 Podiums

2011 - 2 Podiums

High Chair

High Chair

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Region:CFR
  • Car Number:97
I vote we kill this thread. Most of us know what happened and who is really responsible for that car. Any car that comes out of that shop will be suspect for a long-time and we have more than enough resources to have it brought home in a box if need be. They will get very little leeway down here in Florida going forward. We all know the kid can drive and it won't be long before we are racing door to door with him in a car he can be proud of. For now I think we should give this up and coming driver a break as everything that needs to be said has been said.
JR this was not about your ability or character; neither of which is in question. As soon as your car is reexamined (changes made) and your fellow drivers feel as if you are within the rules all will be forgotten. Most of the drivers that run up front have pushed beyond the gray areas before being brought back by fellow drivers; thats how Spec Miata works. Your shop was not the first one to go down this road and it won't be the last. I would suggest at this point you pull your video offline as these types of situations can drag on for a while. It does not mean you admit to anything it just would save you grief. I would also take Drago's advice; he has been around a longtime. Over and out!
Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! ARRC Champion - Won the ARRC Race in a Spec Miata Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Zauskycop

Zauskycop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Region:Chicago
  • Car Number:45
I agree...I think it has all been said. Ernie Jr, you have a bright future and are a good driver....
Tracy Ramsey
45 SM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NASA, 14, 1.6, win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users