Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
  • Region:NWR
  • Car Year:1992
  • Car Number:30
Wonderful to hear you're out, and soon to be about. Not to rush you, but have they made any guesses about when you'll be able to race again? And perhaps some time long after that they'll clear you for tool boxes. ;)

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Region:Oregon
  • Car Year:1991
  • Car Number:68

Wonderful to hear you're out, and soon to be about. Not to rush you, but have they made any guesses about when you'll be able to race again? And perhaps some time long after that they'll clear you for tool boxes. ;)

Since it was ermergent surgery, maybe this year, maybe not, it's just too early to know.

I have an opinion so I must be right

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
That actually seems like a long recovery time -- I'll put in a word for a shorter sentence.

Cnj

Cnj

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Region:Sw
  • Car Year:1999
  • Car Number:32

I'm home now.

This is great news!

Cnj
We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Jim Graffy

Jim Graffy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Region:NW
  • Car Year:1990
  • Car Number:01
Bruce - Glad to hear you are home! Lap one in the books! Keep up the good run.

Jim

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

That actually seems like a long recovery time -- I'll put in a word for a shorter sentence.

It's not. I've been getting cardiology treatments for the last 6 years or so. He's going to need to pass several stress tests and have a metric assload of imaging before they decide when he can return. I had an angiogram (no stents) late last year and I was just cleared fro that but still on hold due to another issue. That's nothing like having an MI or surgery, much more mild. Not to belabor Bruce's medical condition, which is none of my business though I'm glad to hear he made it and is recovering, but parts of the treatment aren't conducive to racing. Blood thinners are commonly used and participating in activities that could lead to bleeding is discouraged. That's why Vickers had to sit out a season. Even though you may not feel it consciously, racing strains the cardio vascular system.

Take your time Bruce. The racing will still be there next season. I have a 20% blockage of my LAD and a pericardial cyst with hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. All being treated successfully with an excellent prognosis. When you have good docs, listen to them and everything will be OK.

Good to hear you are back at home, recovering, Bruce.

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Thanks for the insight, Dave. I've seen a number of heart surgery patients recover very quickly, but I suppose it depends on what the actual issue is. Thankfully I haven't needed to get that level of education yet.

racinglawyer

racinglawyer

Old Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Region:NEPA
  • Car Year:1997
  • Car Number:"0"
Bruce, Good Luck, you'll be just fine..most important listen to the Doc's...they have a history of what works and what doesn't.

Had my Aortic valve replaced and was back driving in 4 months..but I listened to the Doc's advice and did it....some of it I didn't want to do.

I love your posts and hope to read them again. I don't know you personally, but think you're a class act....what come out of a person's writings also comes out of their heart(no pun intended).

Mike Cefalo
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
Love "the commander" Mike Cefalo
Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Gatoratty

Gatoratty

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:Central Florida
  • Car Number:3
Bruce

What makes our class great is that we race like crazy on the track and care about each other off of the track. I just celebrated my 8th anniversary of my liver transplant. I realized again that no matter what is going wrong in my life at the present...life is pretty good! Get well soon and come race with us in Florida!
Paul

(null)
Paul McLester
SM #3
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Bruce, Good Luck, you'll be just fine..most important listen to the Doc's...they have a history of what works and what doesn't.

Had my Aortic valve replaced and was back driving in 4 months..but I listened to the Doc's advice and did it....some of it I didn't want to do.

I love your posts and hope to read them again. I don't know you personally, but think you're a class act....what come out of a person's writings also comes out of their heart(no pun intended).

Mike Cefalo

Thanks Mike, that is very encouraging. Yes, so far I really didn't like the answers to some the 'activities' I couldnt do for a couple weeks, but I'm guessing there's lots of reasons so point well taken :D There are so many of you I want to meet especially now that you're all helping me so much (really!!!)

-bw

Series Champ - Won a points based series in a Spec Miata Survivalist - Won 25 Hours at Thunderhill! We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations! Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Bruce

What makes our class great is that we race like crazy on the track and care about each other off of the track. I just celebrated my 8th anniversary of my liver transplant. I realized again that no matter what is going wrong in my life at the present...life is pretty good! Get well soon and come race with us in Florida!
Paul

(null)

My prspective on life has already changed a bunch! I'm changing my moto and (signature line) now.

And racing Sebring has now become a real goal for me!

-bw

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Car Year:1993
Until you are ready for Sebring, when are they going to let you come down and coach? I'm sure the newbies (and one oldie) could use the advice.

Terrell

dstevens

dstevens

Veteran Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Region:LVR

That's a good recovery. :nurse: :thumbsup: Our family cardiac history is an absolute nightmare. I was the first on Dad's side to make it past 40 without an MI, and if my luck holds the next few months the first to make it to 50 without invasive surgery or an MI. Dad was the first to make it past 60. At all. He'll be 70 next month with pretty much all brand new plumbing and valves for his ticker. :offtopic:

Good to hear you are on the mend, Bruce. Sorry for the threadjack. Trust your docs but don't be afraid to question or ask for more details. Here's to good health and living well.

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Until you are ready for Sebring, when are they going to let you come down and coach? I'm sure the newbies (and one oldie) could use the advice.

Terrell

The only restriction I can see for now is mobility. You guys rent me a golf cart or scooter (can't have pull starter) and I'll provide coaching for all those who chip in at the next race...

-bw

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
Sounds like a deal -- wish I could be there!

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Seems like I know someone with a golf cart: Me.

Call me before the next race and remind me. I will steal it from Ben my yard manager (bad knee) and bring it.

Now you have no excuses and have to come help and I will even share you with the newbies as long as you provide them with the required amount of disinformation. Dr. (not really) Garrett's orders!

Terrell

Terrell Garrett

Terrell Garrett

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Forgot to say that the attitude sounds healthy and ready to move forward in the future. Awesome.

Keith Novak

Keith Novak

Steadily Improving Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • Region:Northwest/Oregon
  • Car Year:1995
  • Car Number:88
Bruce is awesome at coaching. I've learned a ton from him even though at times he thought he was just rambling. Much can you learn when you listen.
Posted Image
Donor - Made PayPal donation Bona fide - A bonafide Spec Miata driver We have a Winnah! - Won their 1st race... Congratulations!

Bruce Wilson

Bruce Wilson

Gold Member

• SMembers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
Remind most of you to hit your apexes and exits I would -- Hmm -- paid for the whole track you have, yet use it you do not.

-bw
  • Michael Colangelo likes this

Jim Boemler

Jim Boemler

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • 852 posts
:king: :king:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users